Drive to update Memorial Drive tennis hub

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Port Adelaide Fan
High Rise Poster!

Drive to update Memorial Drive tennis hub

#1 Post by Port Adelaide Fan » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:57 pm

MEMORIAL Drive, which celebrates its centenary this year, is showing its age and must be upgraded to complete the Adelaide Oval precinct and return respect to tennis, the sport's governing body says.

As former international tennis stars such as Yannick Noah and Martina Hingis touch down in Adelaide today for the World Tennis Challenge, Tennis SA CEO Steven Baldas has described the state's major tennis facility as an "antique piece" detracting from the new $535 million Adelaide Oval.

He said Adelaide is the only major Australian city without a modern tennis centre and said the state was in danger of missing the chance to fully cash in on the Oval upgrade and modernised Riverbank precinct.

"I think now is the time to upgrade Memorial Drive and complete the Adelaide Oval precinct,'' Mr Baldas said.

more

fifty
High Rise Poster!

Re: Drive to update Memorial Drive tennis hub

#2 Post by fifty » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:33 pm

Finally!

Didn't know about the tennis SA master plan but very glad to hear. This part caught my attention:

"Tennis SA produced a masterplan for Memorial Drive in 2011 that included a $20 million upgrade of the main stadium to seat 7000 people, extra practice courts, and a new home for basketball and netball."

So basically exactly what myself and others have been suggesting on the AO thread about a boutique sized arena catering for basketball and tennis in the summer and netball plus AFL overflow in the winter, in a similar way to the Margaret Court Arena redevelopment at Melbourne Park (not sure if the masterplan advocated a retractable roof though!)

It will require a political crisis to secure funding but we can live in hope.

EDIT: What does $20m buy nowadays? The MCA redevelopment was the largest part of a $363m package that included some extra indoor and outdoor courts, plaza areas and a pedestrian bridge. The MCA part only included an extra 1,500 seats and the retractable roof as the court itself and 6000 seats were already there. Hard to see $20m at Memorial Drive including a retractable roof, let alone all new stands, which it would need if they want it to be the "new home" for basketball and netball.
Last edited by fifty on Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#3 Post by how good is he » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:04 pm

I have always wondered why our entertainment centre couldn't be easily converted to a tennis arena like Melbournes Rod Laver Arena which hosts concerts etc and International tennis. With a plexicushion surface (the blue one) you would think it would be ready to go, no?

ml69
Legendary Member!

#4 Post by ml69 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:34 pm

Glad to hear Memorial Drive upgrade is on the agenda.

I think it needs to be an indoor stadium, and basketball and netball involved as co-tenants to share the costs and bring year-round usage to the upgraded centre (google "Margaret Court Arena" to see how Melbourne plans to operate this arena sharing structure).

We will then truly have an awesome sporting precinct which in turn can feed further activity and create further demand for restaurants/cafés/bars in the riverbank precinct. Can only be good ....

Could the Kooyong Classic tournament be one event we could lure here?

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#5 Post by Patrick_27 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:01 am

Been saying this for years. Rather than doing a patch-up job - how about leveling the whole area (tennis centre and the next generation gym) and building a 14,000 arena next to AO (with surrounding courts) the venue could cater for Basketball, Netball, Tennis and music. Sell the ETSA Park land for inner city housing projects, entice the 36ers to move back under the roof of a government owned venue, and level the Entertainment Centre for further housing as part of the Bowden Precinct; or alternatively leave the land for a new Football (Soccer) stadium that would be directly next to the tram-line, could be 20,000 seats (perfect sell-out capacity) and could be all undercover seating. Obviously thinking well into the long-term.

And the beauty of a new arena with the footbridge: all year music events, tennis in the summer, basketball and netball in the winter would provide further foot-traffic for the riverbank precinct and it's cafe's and restaurants.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#6 Post by Vee » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:29 am

2014 Kids' Tennis Day at Memorial Drive. 700 kids in attendance.
via @WTC_Adelaide
http://twitter.com/WTC_Adelaide/status/ ... 21/photo/1

Quite a contrast in facility with adjacent, re-developed Adelaide Oval.

Good to hear of a plan, read suggestions for a new, (multi-purpose) Tennis Centre for Adelaide.
I would like to see other sports eg Basketball, 36ers and Lightning, play their home games at a multi-purpose venue in such a great central, highly accessible location which would appeal to locals and visitors.

claybro

#7 Post by claybro » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:03 pm

Vee wrote:2014 Kids' Tennis Day at Memorial Drive. 700 kids in attendance.
via @WTC_Adelaide
http://twitter.com/WTC_Adelaide/status/ ... 21/photo/1

Quite a contrast in facility with adjacent, re-developed Adelaide Oval.

Good to hear of a plan, read suggestions for a new, (multi-purpose) Tennis Centre for Adelaide.
I would like to see other sports eg Basketball, 36ers and Lightning, play their home games at a multi-purpose venue in such a great central, highly accessible location which would appeal to locals and visitors.
Couldn't agree more Vee! the perfect location for a large, indoor arena for sport and larger concerts to compliment the Ent Cent just up the road and the AO. Would be just the finishing touch this area needs, and keep it a lively precinct for more weeks of the year.

Ho Really

#8 Post by Ho Really » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:13 pm

ml69 wrote:[...]

Could the Kooyong Classic tournament be one event we could lure here?
Logically you'd think so since Adelaide is the only mainland capital without a major tennis event, but I doubt the Vics would let it go. What would be nice is if we got our Men's Hardcourt Championship back. One of the oldest tournaments around. The problem is the calendar is saturated and we wouldn't get it back from Brisbane now that the women have been included. Then you've also got two more tournaments held at the same time, one in Chennai (India) and the rich Qatar Open. Then a week after you've got Sydney (men's and women's) and Auckland tournaments (which are played at the same time as the Kooyong Classic). Our biggest issue is prizemoney. If you want to run a second tier event (with future hopefuls) I guess it could be possible, but then would you fill 6000~7000 seats, etc.? The other sports mentioned in the thread would have to help pay for the bills.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Ho Really

#9 Post by Ho Really » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:23 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:Been saying this for years. Rather than doing a patch-up job - how about leveling the whole area (tennis centre and the next generation gym) and building a 14,000 arena next to AO (with surrounding courts) the venue could cater for Basketball, Netball, Tennis and music. Sell the ETSA Park land for inner city housing projects, entice the 36ers to move back under the roof of a government owned venue, and level the Entertainment Centre for further housing as part of the Bowden Precinct; or alternatively leave the land for a new Football (Soccer) stadium that would be directly next to the tram-line, could be 20,000 seats (perfect sell-out capacity) and could be all undercover seating. Obviously thinking well into the long-term.

And the beauty of a new arena with the footbridge: all year music events, tennis in the summer, basketball and netball in the winter would provide further foot-traffic for the riverbank precinct and it's cafe's and restaurants.
I agree about patch-up jobs. We seem to keep falling into the same hole here in SA. However, isn't NextGen separate from the Memorial Drive tennis stadium? Would be great to have all those sports you mentioned under one roof. All paying and making a profit. Demolishing the Entertainment Centre I think would be a mistake. That place is used for concerts and other big indoor events like motorcross, etc. Something you couldn't do at Memorial Drive. So it has its place. As for Hindmarsh Stadium they really should move that church on the southern side and move the stadium a further 50 metres or so in that direction. That would solve expanding capacity.

Cheers

Port Adelaide Fan
High Rise Poster!

#10 Post by Port Adelaide Fan » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:57 pm

Ho Really wrote:
Patrick_27 wrote:Been saying this for years. Rather than doing a patch-up job - how about leveling the whole area (tennis centre and the next generation gym) and building a 14,000 arena next to AO (with surrounding courts) the venue could cater for Basketball, Netball, Tennis and music. Sell the ETSA Park land for inner city housing projects, entice the 36ers to move back under the roof of a government owned venue, and level the Entertainment Centre for further housing as part of the Bowden Precinct; or alternatively leave the land for a new Football (Soccer) stadium that would be directly next to the tram-line, could be 20,000 seats (perfect sell-out capacity) and could be all undercover seating. Obviously thinking well into the long-term.

I agree about patch-up jobs. We seem to keep falling into the same hole here in SA. However, isn't NextGen separate from the Memorial Drive tennis stadium? Would be great to have all those sports you mentioned under one roof. All paying and making a profit. Demolishing the Entertainment Centre I think would be a mistake. That place is used for concerts and other big indoor events like motorcross, etc. Something you couldn't do at Memorial Drive. So it has its place. As for Hindmarsh Stadium they really should move that church on the southern side and move the stadium a further 50 metres or so in that direction. That would solve expanding capacity.

Cheers
Plans for NRL games, new seats, longer pitch and profits at Hindmarsh Stadium.

It expects to be in the black by the end of 2014-15.

AEC chairman Bob Foord and chief executive Anthony Kirchner told The Advertiser that long-term plans include attracting up to five NRL games a season, increasing the pitch length by 7m to open it to more sports, hosting concerts, shading grandstands and increasing capacity by 10,000 to 25,000.

Short-term improvements to the stadium's fortunes include:

COOPERS signing as major naming rights sponsor for five years for an undisclosed amount,

INVESTING $4 million into the stadium over two years from accumulated profits from the Adelaide Entertainment Centre.

This includes planned replacement of all seating, more food and beverage outlets and upgrades to existing outlets, opening a bar to the public, a new lift, new dressing rooms and general maintenance.

more

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#11 Post by rev » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:22 pm

Wow, $4 million dollar investment? Shiiiit..that'll bring all the big names!

Meanwhile, Rod Laver Arena and surrounds will undergo a $380 million dollar upgrade.

shading grandstands

I love this bit.
So are they going to be building a roof right around the stadium covering all the stands, or will they be putting up shade cloths like at childrens playgrounds?

They want to increase capacity by 10-25,000? For what? They barely sell out Hindmarsh on a good day.
This is a step backwards.
We need a multi-purpose mixed use venue that can be configured for a variety of sports in place of the War Memorial Drive tennis center & next gen gym.

Patrick_27

#12 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:47 am

rev wrote:Wow, $4 million dollar investment? Shiiiit..that'll bring all the big names!

Meanwhile, Rod Laver Arena and surrounds will undergo a $380 million dollar upgrade.

shading grandstands

I love this bit.
So are they going to be building a roof right around the stadium covering all the stands, or will they be putting up shade cloths like at childrens playgrounds?

They want to increase capacity by 10-25,000? For what? They barely sell out Hindmarsh on a good day.
We need a multi-purpose mixed use venue that can be configured for a variety of sports in place of the War Memorial Drive tennis center & next gen gym.
That is absolute rubbish Rev, do your research. They sold out the last game at Hindmarsh, that is the typical ignorant comment from a non-football supporter.

Patrick_27

#13 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:51 am

Ho Really wrote:

Cheers
Ho Really, as I said; close the Entertainment Centre and move it's events to Memorial Drive, granted they build and entirely new venue. With Next Gen out of the way they could build something fantastic (like Hisence Arena in Melbourne) which could have Netball, Basketball, Tennis AND MUSIC. That would centralise such major events. The Entertainment Centre is a shit venue, Poor layout, and it's back-line facilities are rubbish; the government can pretend that their upgrade was major but it was a stupid waste of money - all it did was tidy up a rubbish venue to begin with. With Next Gen, the government would have to acquire the land but it would be a worthy acquisition.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#14 Post by rev » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:35 am

Patrick_27 wrote:
rev wrote:Wow, $4 million dollar investment? Shiiiit..that'll bring all the big names!

shading grandstands

I love this bit.

That is absolute rubbish Rev, do your research. They sold out the last game at Hindmarsh, that is the typical ignorant comment from a non-football supporter.
So because I state a fact..that Hindmarsh is rarely sold out, I'm an ignorant non-football supporter now? I actually know a few guys who've played or play for Adelaide United and the youth squad.

Capacity at Hindmarsh stadium is 17,000.
According to the match report on the FFA website, the last game against Newcastle Jets saw a crowd of 10,778.
http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/ale ... eague/3143

Ok, that's my research done.
I don't need to look up any further stats to prove my point, because I already know that Hindmarsh is rarely sold out.
Adding 25,000...or even 10,000 extra seats...is pointless. And a waste. But the AEC have other plans for the venue besides Adelaide United, which might not be in the interests of Adelaide United and the A League.

As I have said many times before, these smaller sporting teams in Adelaide, Adelaide United(+womens & youth teams), the netball, the 36ers, all need to be moved to a multipurpose, highly configurable venue that incorporates tennis. They will all be better off financially, which will help them be more successful on the pitch/courts.

Ho Really

#15 Post by Ho Really » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:43 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:Ho Really, as I said; close the Entertainment Centre and move it's events to Memorial Drive, granted they build and entirely new venue. With Next Gen out of the way they could build something fantastic (like Hisence Arena in Melbourne) which could have Netball, Basketball, Tennis AND MUSIC. That would centralise such major events. The Entertainment Centre is a shit venue, Poor layout, and it's back-line facilities are rubbish; the government can pretend that their upgrade was major but it was a stupid waste of money - all it did was tidy up a rubbish venue to begin with. With Next Gen, the government would have to acquire the land but it would be a worthy acquisition.
All well and good if you [can] buy NextGen. I don't think the Entertainment Centre is as bad as you say. Of course you could always have better, but you'd need a heck of a lot of money. As is it's got good parking and access to tram and heavy rail. If a few cafes and restaurants in the city loose some business because of foot traffic big deal. You can't have all your sporting/entertainment venues in one place. What else do you want?

Cheers