Riverside City

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Benm16
Gold-Member ;)

Riverside City

#1 Post by Benm16 » Sun May 18, 2014 4:16 pm

I'm so happy with how the riverbank is coming along. All the new structures look amazing and has given adelaide such a great face lift. However having travelled to many beautiful cities which have rivers running through I feel like we are not making the most of what we have. I think Brisbane's south bank is a brilliant example of how the riverbank in Adelaide could be like. Same with darling harbor in Sydney and similar with the river which runs through Singapore. All these cities create great atmospheres around the rivers/ waterways and I feel like Adelaide should do the same.

Having restaurants hotels a observation wheel rides and a man made pool/ beach would be a great addition to the riverbank and the football games would bring the public to this area. With a short walking distances from the tram and train I think this is a great spot to take advantage of. For tourists who come to Adelaide to see the football the hotels next door would provide convenience and also beautiful views over looking the rest of Adelaide and the oval.

Would love to hear what people think about this idea
Cheers,

Benm16
Gold-Member ;)

Re: Riverside City

#2 Post by Benm16 » Sun May 18, 2014 4:26 pm

In the attachment is a very quick sketch of what I have in mine with four towers next to the oval and a quick map belong showing the restaurants and obersvation wheel along the river and the hotels on the opposite side of memorial drive as this will reduce the amount of trees to be removed
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (696.49 KiB) Viewed 5465 times

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3 Post by Norman » Sun May 18, 2014 5:33 pm

Unfortunately I have to disagree with this particular vision, walking around the parklands by the Adelaide Oval I was in awe of how beautiful it is now with the parks and trees along the river. I think we are in a unique position with the parklands as we have them now, just improved incrementally with public access features, improved pathways and greenery. By all means, build more apartments in the city centre, but keep our river surrounded by lush parks and unrivalled beauty.

Good on you though for giving it a go though and bringing your ideas forward.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#4 Post by Nathan » Sun May 18, 2014 5:59 pm

FYI, a city pool on the north side of the river, west of the Morphett St bridge, was part of the the riverbank plan that was put out for feedback list year: http://www.riverbank.sa.gov.au/3signifi ... being.aspx

Benm16
Gold-Member ;)

#5 Post by Benm16 » Sun May 18, 2014 8:59 pm

I understand what you mean saying the parklands are unique but they are huge and this would only be in one small section of the park. The buildings would also be arranged around the trees so no trees are removed, whilst the four towers would be built over the tennis courts which are to the other side of memorial drive. I think this would help people become aware of te parklands too as they seem to be abandoned all the time.
As an architect student i have noticed that people of Adelaide are afraid of change and this is why we are known as the back water state because we are afraid to change into something modern. I really think we need to start changing our view of the city and understanding it's true potential.

[Shuz]

#6 Post by [Shuz] » Sun May 18, 2014 9:07 pm

No. Just, no.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Nort

#7 Post by Nort » Mon May 19, 2014 11:43 am

The problem with trying to mimic Brisbane or Sydney too intensely is that we don't actually have a river through the CBD. We have a long lake. Brisbane and Sydney see lots of activity on their rivers because they are major transportation corridors, which brings people through the river adjacent areas. The Brisbane Southbank and Sydneys Darling Harbour and Circular Quay could be bare concrete lots, and they would still see a lot of through traffic.

There is definitely a lot of potential in Adelaides riverside areas, but not to be a carbon copy of other cities. That is a cargo cult approach to development that is unlikely to produce the best results for the area.

Another question, how do your towers fit in with the height restrictions for that area?

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#8 Post by rev » Tue May 20, 2014 8:28 am

Did I ever post my crazy idea of extending the Torrens "lake" through the east and south parklands?

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#9 Post by rev » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:44 pm

I've been thinking what Adelaide would have been like if the CBD was built at Port Adelaide instead of where it is now.

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#10 Post by Maximus » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:13 am

It would mean Adelaide had no western suburbs. Hence a much lower crime rate. :D
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

[Shuz]

#11 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:44 am

I think Adelaide's sprawl would have been a lot worse than it is now! It would have gone a heap further north, for sure.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.