Extension of North Tce cultural precinct

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
ml69
Legendary Member!

Extension of North Tce cultural precinct

#1 Post by ml69 » Tue May 20, 2014 1:45 pm

There have been a some visions and suggestions put forward over the past couple of years for a new dedicated museum to house the South Australian Museum’s extensive collection of Aboriginal artefacts and art (the world’s largest), and also additional space to house the Art Gallery collection (most of which is in storage and unavailable for public viewing).

Rann's Vision: Aboriginal/Indigenous Cultural Centre
Nick Mitzevich's Vision: Art Discovery Centre

The location most commonly suggested for these new facilities is the existing RAH site once it become available after 2016.

But I’m not at all convinced that the existing RAH site is the best location for these new institutions. At the risk of upsetting a NIMBY or three, I suggest that the best site is the strip of Government House garden facing North Tce (between King William Rd and Kintore Ave).

My idea goes like this:

• Art Discovery Centre – as outlined in a Nick Mitzevich's vision, incorporating a Contemporary Art Gallery, and some controversial pieces/sculptures like the MONA in Hobart to really get people talking. This architecturally distinctive building would be located on the corner of North Tce and King William St, opposite Parliament House.
• Public landscaped plaza space bordered by the Art Discovery Centre (on the West), Government House (on the North) and SAMIC (on the East).
• SA Museum of Indigenous Culture (SAMIC?) – incorporating two wings. One wing focusing on Aboriginal culture, the other wing focusing on indigenous cultures from around the world. This would be a contemporary museum utilising the latest technology to enhance the experience, not a stuffy formal museum feel. Another striking contemporary building, it would be located near the corner of North Tce and Kintore Ave. SAMIC would be well setback from Kintore Ave to allow for a wider War Memorial Walk which is a grand footpath on the western side of Kintore Ave leading down to the River Torrens.
• Government House is converted into a Restaurant, Café, Function Centre and Museum, like Ayers House.
• Government House gardens are fully opened for public access, thereby facilitating better north-south and east-west pedestrian links across the gardens.
• Relocation of the Governor to Carclew in North Adelaide. Retain Carrick Hill as a function and tourist venue.

The Art Discovery Centre and SAMIC would therefore be an extension of our existing cultural precinct (Library, SA Museum and Art Gallery) westwards to King William St. They wouldn't be heavy stone buildings like their predecessors, instead they would be more like pavilions in the park, with large glazed walls facing onto the manicured gardens of the precinct.

This is a much more sensible location for these 21st century institutions than RAH (in my opinion). They are physically close to the original institutions which spawned them (and will likely be managed by them), allowing a visitor or tourist easy convenient access.

I know it won't be cheap but it can be an aspiration for 2036, and hopefully completed much sooner than that. And would be wonderful addition to the North Tce cultural boulevard.

Any thoughts?

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

Re: Extension of North Tce cultural precinct

#2 Post by rev » Tue May 20, 2014 2:19 pm

You mean King William St.

The RAH site should be put to multiple uses. That area around Frome Rd/North Tce could be perfect for a museum. I'm not sure on the architectural significance of 3-4 of the buildings in that vicinity, but they might be worth restoring and being used as part of a museum. The rest of the RAH should be demolished entirely.
Part of the area fronting North Tce should be used for a new museum/cultural center. Perhaps have a world renowned architect design something with an indigenous theme or aspect, and use it along with those older buildings.

Some of the site should be used to build a bigger war memorial/shrine/gardens/museum. Not just to replace the one on the corner of Kintore Ave/North Tce, but also to display South Australia's war time history in a more fitting and significant way. A parkland setting would be I think much more appealing to people on Anzac Day for example, then standing in a street for the dawn service. Going a bit off the topic of North Tce, such a war shrine/museum could then be expanded further via an "Anzac Walk"(for eg), that links it with the Torrens Parade Ground barracks. Along the "walk", going along the banks of the torrens along Victoria Drive, there could be interactive displays and what not. Not sure what the building there is used for currently, but it could be turned into a museum as well for a specific conflict.

MessiahAndrw
High Rise Poster!

Re: Extension of North Tce cultural precinct

#3 Post by MessiahAndrw » Wed May 21, 2014 7:34 am

If we do get a new museum, I'd love to see something with classical architecture that blends in with what currently exists along North Terrace. I think a modernist building would look out of place (unless it's next to the new hospital.)
My blog on urban design: http://www.andrewalexanderprice.com/blog.php