Motorsport Ideas

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

Motorsport Ideas

#1 Post by rev » Fri May 22, 2015 1:42 pm

With the motorsport complex at Tailem Bend being given development approval and receiving federal funding, which will result in a second V8 round held in SA, it got me thinking.
The F1 issue is polarizing, some want it back, some say good riddance.
It's a loss making venture and costs tax payers millions every year in Melbourne. Of course I think it would be good to get it back one day.

But in the mean time, with a second Supercars round on the cards, why not go one or two steps further and stake a claim to being the motorsport capital of Australia.
I've been watching the Formula E series on tv lately, and it's actually not that bad. The cars sound weird at first but you get used to it, and there's crashes and cars flipping over, close passing, wheels touching, etc..the only noticeable difference is some slight differences in the car bodys(extra panels), and the sound of the engines.
Right now as I type on One the Monaco round of Formula E is on.

Then there is the Asian LeMans Series. Unlike the previous planne Asia Pacific LeMans Series, this series is actually functioning and is into it's third season.

Both Formula E and Asian Lemans Series could use the old layout of the formula 1 street circuit. Or ALMS could use the new circuit at Tailem Bend.
We would then have two international series and two Supercar series. And with Tailem Bend Motorsport complex also featuring a drag strip and drift car facilities, I'm sure we will finally get back the top fuel drags to Adelaide, and some more drifting events such as the national drifting championship.

If these events, Formula E and ALMS, are run correctly, organized properly, and done in a similar fashion to what we used to do with the F1 and what we now do with the Clipsal, that is the other entertainment options provided at the track either during or after racing, then they will be a success.

We have Clipsal in March. Push it out a few weeks so it doesn't coincide with the rest of the March festival season.
You could make it part of Clipsal 500, instead of calling it Clipsal 500, call it the Adelaide Motorsport Festival or something. The V8's would act as a support category to the Formula E, but would be one of the prominent events of the weekend. They could make it a 500km one day race on the Saturday, and Sunday could be dedicated to Formula E.

This builds a bigger, better case for a permanent facility in Victoria Park. The government already wants to build a new grand stand to bring back horse racing to the city.
A permanent facility would limit disruptions to public use of the park while they are setting up for motorsport events. Which is something which mystifies me.."local" residents complain about the disruptions, but then argue against a permanent facility that would allow them more unrestricted access.

Then in October the second Supercar race could be staged at Tailem Bend, as a support category for the ALMS.
That would give us two major international motorsports events/festivals on either side of the major event months.
I'm confident we could not only support but make two such major motorsport festivals a success in this state.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Motorsport Ideas

#2 Post by Nathan » Fri May 22, 2015 2:34 pm

I'm all for Formula E and LeMans racing here. I've resigned myself to the fact that F1 won't ever return, but either (or both) of those categories would be a reasonable consultation. The O-Bahn project would render the old F1 layout dead though, so they'd have to settle for the (inferior) short variation.

spiller
High Rise Poster!

#3 Post by spiller » Mon May 25, 2015 11:09 am

I always hope for the return of F1 to Adelaide but I wont hold my breath. The Tailem Bend motorsport park is incredibly exciting however and I hope the developers dont settle for V8SC when it comes to attracting big events. International events should definitely be on their radar and although the facility isnt being built to FIA Level 1 specs (required for F1), it fall into the level 2 category which means anything but F1 is possible. Hello WEC? I think it'd be fantastic to have a WEC event in SA. The crowds for WEC are usually fairly disappointing but i'm sure Adelaide and SA would get behind an event of this standard.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4 Post by Wayno » Mon May 25, 2015 2:45 pm

I hope the Adelaide street circuit is used if SA has additional events beyond the v8 street cars.

The Tailem Bend circuit is good but it'Adelaide's the street circuit that made the F1 so good, same with the Clipsal 500.

I bet inner-suburban residential groups are already strategising and lobbying to move the Clipsal 500 to Tailem Bend. That would be a disaster.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#5 Post by monotonehell » Mon May 25, 2015 4:15 pm

Wayno wrote:I hope the Adelaide street circuit is used if SA has additional events beyond the v8 street cars.

The Tailem Bend circuit is good but it'Adelaide's the street circuit that made the F1 so good, same with the Clipsal 500.

I bet inner-suburban residential groups are already strategising and lobbying to move the Clipsal 500 to Tailem Bend. That would be a disaster.
You mean i can retire this after eight years?
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

spiller
High Rise Poster!

#6 Post by spiller » Mon May 25, 2015 4:19 pm

Wayno wrote:I hope the Adelaide street circuit is used if SA has additional events beyond the v8 street cars.

I doubt we'll ever see anything other than Clipsal or F1 racing on Adelaide's Streets in the foreseeable future, unless they do combine them into a single event. That aside though, its looking like we're going to have the best motorsport complex in the nation so it may as well be used to its full potential!

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#7 Post by [Shuz] » Mon May 25, 2015 4:56 pm

Why don't we just recreate the Adelaide street circuit at Tailem Bend? That way we can have both!

Where's that gif of the Mexican girl with the tacos when you need it?
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#8 Post by monotonehell » Mon May 25, 2015 5:01 pm

[Shuz] wrote:Why don't we just recreate the Adelaide street circuit at Tailem Bend? That way we can have both!

Where's that gif of the Mexican girl with the tacos when you need it?
Preview.jpg
Preview.jpg (24.51 KiB) Viewed 11226 times
I need to get off tumblr...
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#9 Post by Wayno » Mon May 25, 2015 5:07 pm

spiller wrote:I doubt we'll ever see anything other than Clipsal or F1 racing on Adelaide's Streets in the foreseeable future, unless they do combine them into a single event. That aside though, its looking like we're going to have the best motorsport complex in the nation so it may as well be used to its full potential!
I expect the management of the Tailem Bend circuit to cannibalise future events from the Adelaide street circuit. We currently use the street circuit for more than just the Clipsal 500. We also have the 'Victoria Park Sprint' in mid-October which includes a segment of the Classic Adelaide Rally and F1 cars from 1930-90s.

Then there's other prospective events such as those mentioned by Rev (Formula E, Asian LeMans, etc). Good if SA gets such events at Tailem Bend, but FANTASTIC in the park lands.

http://www.adelaidemotorsportfestival.com.au/
VICTORIA PARK SPRINT

Victoria Park becomes Classic Car Central for 3 days in October 2015 as the Adelaide Parklands venue is transformed into the hub for the coming together of two significant motorsport events, both with a nostalgic theme.

The Adelaide Motorsport Festival is a virtual “museum-in-motion”. A three-day festival that draws upon South Australia’s rich motorsport history and celebrates and re-enacts motorsport competition of a by-gone era. Days 1, 2 and 3 will see the Classic Adelaide Rally spirit reborn, whilst Days 2 and 3 will feature Grand Prix cars from the 1930s to the 1990s at the main focus for the inaugural Victoria Park Sprint.

The Victoria Park Sprint is rounded out with a diverse field of historic touring cars, sports cars and classic motorcycles that are welcome to enter as well as displays from some of the greatest classic cars from across the years.

The Classic Adelaide Rally cars will use Victoria Park as Parc-Ferme from Thursday 15th October before heading off to the Hills for competition each day, returning on the Sunday 18th for a Victoria Park Special Stage. Information on the rally can be found by clicking the icon at the top right of screen.

Many of the vehicles that attended AMF in 2014 are rare and collectable pieces often with a colourful story to tell. Approximately 12 Grand Prix cars were sourced to attend the Adelaide Motorsport Festival, conjuring up the same sights, sounds and smells that could be found trackside at previous Australian Grand Prix events.

The Adelaide Motorsport Festival is true and authentic to South Australia’s rich motor racing heritage whilst creating new event experiences with relevance and meaning to the Adelaide motor racing enthusiast.

Both competitors and spectators are encouraged to dress up in period-costume on the Sunday, 18th October 2015. This will not only help portray an accurate re-creation of motorsport of the past, you might even win a prize for best dressed on the day!
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

spiller
High Rise Poster!

#10 Post by spiller » Mon May 25, 2015 5:47 pm

Wayno wrote:
spiller wrote:I doubt we'll ever see anything other than Clipsal or F1 racing on Adelaide's Streets in the foreseeable future, unless they do combine them into a single event. That aside though, its looking like we're going to have the best motorsport complex in the nation so it may as well be used to its full potential!
I expect the management of the Tailem Bend circuit to cannibalise future events from the Adelaide street circuit. We currently use the street circuit for more than just the Clipsal 500. We also have the 'Victoria Park Sprint' in mid-October which includes a segment of the Classic Adelaide Rally and F1 cars from 1930-90s.

Then there's other prospective events such as those mentioned by Rev (Formula E, Asian LeMans, etc). Good if SA gets such events at Tailem Bend, but FANTASTIC in the park lands.

http://www.adelaidemotorsportfestival.com.au/
VICTORIA PARK SPRINT

Victoria Park becomes Classic Car Central for 3 days in October 2015 as the Adelaide Parklands venue is transformed into the hub for the coming together of two significant motorsport events, both with a nostalgic theme.

The Adelaide Motorsport Festival is a virtual “museum-in-motion”. A three-day festival that draws upon South Australia’s rich motorsport history and celebrates and re-enacts motorsport competition of a by-gone era. Days 1, 2 and 3 will see the Classic Adelaide Rally spirit reborn, whilst Days 2 and 3 will feature Grand Prix cars from the 1930s to the 1990s at the main focus for the inaugural Victoria Park Sprint.

The Victoria Park Sprint is rounded out with a diverse field of historic touring cars, sports cars and classic motorcycles that are welcome to enter as well as displays from some of the greatest classic cars from across the years.

The Classic Adelaide Rally cars will use Victoria Park as Parc-Ferme from Thursday 15th October before heading off to the Hills for competition each day, returning on the Sunday 18th for a Victoria Park Special Stage. Information on the rally can be found by clicking the icon at the top right of screen.

Many of the vehicles that attended AMF in 2014 are rare and collectable pieces often with a colourful story to tell. Approximately 12 Grand Prix cars were sourced to attend the Adelaide Motorsport Festival, conjuring up the same sights, sounds and smells that could be found trackside at previous Australian Grand Prix events.

The Adelaide Motorsport Festival is true and authentic to South Australia’s rich motor racing heritage whilst creating new event experiences with relevance and meaning to the Adelaide motor racing enthusiast.

Both competitors and spectators are encouraged to dress up in period-costume on the Sunday, 18th October 2015. This will not only help portray an accurate re-creation of motorsport of the past, you might even win a prize for best dressed on the day!
I am competing in the Vic Park Sprint this year and cannot wait! I wouldnt call that the "street circuit" though. Part of one public road is used yes, but the majority of the course is within the parklands. I agree with you, i'd rather see F1 on the streets of Adelaide than at Tailem Bend, it would be better for the City of Adelaide. Street circuits do not help grass roots motorsport in general as they take away from revenue that would otherwise go to the permanent facilities, but im digressing here. I'm just saying, its perhaps unrealistic to expect to see another major international event held on the streets of Adelaide, and that Tailem Bend would be a great (and possibly more realistic) alternative.

Dvious
Legendary Member!

#11 Post by Dvious » Mon May 25, 2015 10:26 pm

Spiller, what car will you be driving?

I attended the event last year and it was such a great display of automotive history and a really well organised event by the Sporting Car Club of S.A. I have a feeling this years event is going to be 10x better than last, judging by some of the Formula 1 cars already marked to attend. For those who missed it in 2014, don't miss this years event! The sounds!

spiller
High Rise Poster!

#12 Post by spiller » Tue May 26, 2015 11:45 am

Dvious wrote:Spiller, what car will you be driving?

I attended the event last year and it was such a great display of automotive history and a really well organised event by the Sporting Car Club of S.A. I have a feeling this years event is going to be 10x better than last, judging by some of the Formula 1 cars already marked to attend. For those who missed it in 2014, don't miss this years event! The sounds!
I'm entered in the Porsche Challenge class in a 911 GT3 (996). I went last year but wasnt allowed to enter into the sprint as it was originally reserved for historic cars only. Instead I entered the windy point hill climb but pulled out last minute (and im glad I did because that was a disaster). I attended the sprint last year and although it was a bit thrown together, I think the SCC did a fantastic job and the display of cars on and off track was excellent. I agree, this year will be much much better and I can only see the event growing in the future.

I am interested to see what they do in the way of barriers/catch fences for this year. Last year with it being run shortly after the Clipsal, they used the same barriers. I wonder if they will bring in different concrete fencing? I'd love to see them use hay bales like they do at Goodwood FOS - that would do a lot for the nostalgic feel of the event IMO.

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#13 Post by SouthAussie94 » Tue May 26, 2015 9:19 pm

I was reading a few articles back in March that were speculating about Formula E coming to Adelaide. They said that 2016 wouldn't happen but that 2017 is possible.

I have watched a little bit of the series online and it has been pretty good.

Most of the circuits that they have used have been built specially for Formula E. At Long Beach and Monaco they raced on modified versions of the circuits used by IndyCar and F1 respectively. Should it eventually come to Adelaide, I imagine that they would used their own version of the Adelaide Street Circuit.

There are a few possible options that I have seen;
- Turn right at the exit of the chicane onto Wakefield St, rejoining the parkland section just before the Britannia Roundabout. Length would be around 1.5km.
- Following the Clipsal circuit until after Turn 5, turning down East Terrace and rejoining the circuit after Turn 7 on Bartels Rd. Length would be around 3.1km
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#14 Post by rev » Wed May 27, 2015 12:23 pm

SouthAussie94 wrote:I was reading a few articles back in March that were speculating about Formula E coming to Adelaide. They said that 2016 wouldn't happen but that 2017 is possible.

I have watched a little bit of the series online and it has been pretty good.

Most of the circuits that they have used have been built specially for Formula E. At Long Beach and Monaco they raced on modified versions of the circuits used by IndyCar and F1 respectively. Should it eventually come to Adelaide, I imagine that they would used their own version of the Adelaide Street Circuit.

There are a few possible options that I have seen;
- Turn right at the exit of the chicane onto Wakefield St, rejoining the parkland section just before the Britannia Roundabout. Length would be around 1.5km.
- Following the Clipsal circuit until after Turn 5, turning down East Terrace and rejoining the circuit after Turn 7 on Bartels Rd. Length would be around 3.1km
That's good to hear, hopefully it happens. We need another international sporting event on a yearly basis here.

Possible track routes..go up all the way Wakefile turn right onto Hutt street, then right again onto Flinders Street East, then a quick left onto East Terrace, then right onto Bartels and the rest of East Terrace to follow the rest of the old F1 route.

Currently you can't turn right onto Flinders street east, it's blocked off.
And that section of East Terrace before turning onto Bartels would need to be widened. But I don't see why that can't happen.

MelBrandle
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#15 Post by MelBrandle » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:11 pm

Given that the whole thing is paid by tax dollars, you'd think more people would take an interest in the event. Actually, after so many years of hosting the event, there are still lots of tourists coming into the city to check things out, so perhaps we've just got to find a way to leverage on all those foreign dollars?
Mel Brandle,