Glenelg dock

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Benm16
Gold-Member ;)

Glenelg dock

#1 Post by Benm16 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:11 pm

Create a new dock located in Glenelg which would allow for cruise ships to dock when visiting adelaide. Also provide a ferry services which would take tourists to kangaroo island, port vincent and port Lincoln. This more would bring tourism to these rural areas much more efficiently and easily. Would also provide more tourism for jetty road and all of glenelg.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

Re: Glenelg dock

#2 Post by rev » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:21 pm

A ferry from Glenelg to KI is what developer/investor Con Makris wants to do.
It's a brilliant idea, as you said it would bring in extra tourists to both ends of the terminals and make a more regular ferry service viable perhaps even with other destinations.
For example why not a whale watching service during whale season that ends in Victor Harbor, where people can spend a few hours in Victor before hopping back on the ferry back to Glenelg. Or three stop itinerary..Glenelg, KI, Victor..the possibilities are endless, all it needs is the will to invest in it by the right people.

Benm16
Gold-Member ;)

#3 Post by Benm16 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:13 pm

I like that idea of taking tourist to other places like victor as they are really hard to get to if your only staying here for a few days. They could even have a dock at port noarlunga. By changing port noarlunga into a tourism town with maybe a theme park, revamp the Main Street with more shops and maybe even bring in some hotels and apartments to the town centre.

Benm16
Gold-Member ;)

#4 Post by Benm16 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:36 pm

just a quick plan of what port Noarlunga could be planned out like, with the addition of a tram line central town district with shops and cafes along with a few hotel and apartments towers and then a theme park. This could become our little version of surfers paradise :)
Attachments
port noarlunga.JPG
port noarlunga.JPG (67.58 KiB) Viewed 10684 times

rev

#5 Post by rev » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:16 pm

I don't think it would be that viable to just take a ferry down the coast, it'd probably be just as quick to drive especially when the north-south corridor is finished.
Besides a ferry from Glenelg to KI, a Glenelg-Edithburgh and Glenelg-Androssan and a service to Port Lincoln would be better.
Geographically we aren't setup for full on ferry services, we are limited to how useful they can be for us. If we had a bunch of inhabited islands in the Gulf it would make plenty of sense and be economically viable.

Altnernatively if Adelaide was centered around the Barker Inlet and the CBD was where Port Adelaide is for example, with the metro area stretching from around Dublin down to around Glenelg/Brighton, regular ferry services would also be more practical. Now there's another interesting "what if" idea.

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#6 Post by Ho Really » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:48 pm

Benm16 wrote:Create a new dock located in Glenelg which would allow for cruise ships to dock when visiting adelaide. Also provide a ferry services which would take tourists to kangaroo island, port vincent and port Lincoln. This more would bring tourism to these rural areas much more efficiently and easily. Would also provide more tourism for jetty road and all of glenelg.
Hi Ben. You may be interested to read these three threads:

VIS: Glenelg ferry terminal

Glenelg Tourist Shipping Terminal

Victor Harbor future cruise port?

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#7 Post by Goodsy » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:49 pm

rev wrote:I don't think it would be that viable to just take a ferry down the coast, it'd probably be just as quick to drive especially when the north-south corridor is finished.
Besides a ferry from Glenelg to KI, a Glenelg-Edithburgh and Glenelg-Androssan and a service to Port Lincoln would be better.
Geographically we aren't setup for full on ferry services, we are limited to how useful they can be for us. If we had a bunch of inhabited islands in the Gulf it would make plenty of sense and be economically viable.

Altnernatively if Adelaide was centered around the Barker Inlet and the CBD was where Port Adelaide is for example, with the metro area stretching from around Dublin down to around Glenelg/Brighton, regular ferry services would also be more practical. Now there's another interesting "what if" idea.

I understand what you're getting at rev, we should absolutely reclaim the barker inlet and build a new CBD on it

rev

#8 Post by rev » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:09 pm

GoodSmackUp wrote:
rev wrote:I don't think it would be that viable to just take a ferry down the coast, it'd probably be just as quick to drive especially when the north-south corridor is finished.

I understand what you're getting at rev, we should absolutely reclaim the barker inlet and build a new CBD on it
Oh I don't mean reclaim it as in fill it up and build on it, I meant building around the waterway, in a hypothetical what if alternate world.

Personally I view the location of the CBD as a strategic and short sighted mistake.
The CBD is essentially an inland city with a small waterway passing by it. It's like it's confused between being an inland cbd and being a water front cbd.
Melbourne, Perth, Sydney, Brisbane dont have that problem. The CBD's are centered around significant waterways, ours is next to a minor waterway.
It could have been centered at Port Adelaide, where the government wants to release land to developers, where part of the New Port development was built.
I reckon Adelaide would have been a far different, better place if it's CBD/City was located there.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#9 Post by Goodsy » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:19 pm

rev wrote:
GoodSmackUp wrote:

Oh I don't mean reclaim it as in fill it up and build on it, I meant building around the waterway, in a hypothetical what if alternate world.

Personally I view the location of the CBD as a strategic and short sighted mistake.
The CBD is essentially an inland city with a small waterway passing by it. It's like it's confused between being an inland cbd and being a water front cbd.
Melbourne, Perth, Sydney, Brisbane dont have that problem. The CBD's are centered around significant waterways, ours is next to a minor waterway.
It could have been centered at Port Adelaide, where the government wants to release land to developers, where part of the New Port development was built.
I reckon Adelaide would have been a far different, better place if it's CBD/City was located there.
I agree completely, Barker Inlet would never happen but it's nice to dream.
personally I'd have like Adelaide to have been centered on Torrens Island, in a sort of pseudo Manhattan style.

Maybe they could widen and deepen Torrens river and then supplement its flow with the desal plant

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#10 Post by Nathan » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:38 pm

Or, it is possible to have two built up business districts. Why not have both Adelaide & Port Adelaide, connected by far better services on the Outer Harbour line.

rev

#11 Post by rev » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:37 am

Nathan wrote:Or, it is possible to have two built up business districts. Why not have both Adelaide & Port Adelaide, connected by far better services on the Outer Harbour line.
Population and economy.
Both stink right now in SA.

The other problem is that when governments change, so will priorities.

We need real politicians who know how to get the state moving forward both economically and population wise.