Quirky Mansion

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

Quirky Mansion

#1 Post by Wayno » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:20 pm

Added here to the 'vision' section as i'm not sure this will get approved, or even done...

From AdelaideNow
THE man who wants to build a quirky, multimillion dollar medieval-themed playground has turned his sights to Victor Harbor, after an Adelaide council failed to embrace the concept.

Theme park designer James Colmer says a lack of interest by Onkaparinga Council has forced the him to look for a new location to build his $2 million adventure playground.

And last week he met with the Victor Harbor Council, visiting two potential locations for the Knightsbridge Adventure Playground.

Mr Colmer released his plan to build the “world’s best adventure playground” in the south in 2013.

The multimillion project would be community-funded.

“I’d still ideally like to do it in McLaren Vale if I could get the support and the location, but the Victor Harbor mayor called me himself directly,” Mr

“With the Greenhills Adventure Park closing, they’re losing jobs and an attraction, so the mayor sounded very keen.”

Mr Colmer’s vision is for a playground with five themed areas: a castle entrance with drawbridge, an enchanted forest, a pirate ship, spaceport and 15m long slides.

In a statement on the playground’s Facebook page, Victor Harbor Mayor Graham Philip said the development would enhance the visitor experience to the region.

The southern Times Messenger reported in September land at Fox Creek Wines and behind Shingleback Winery, in McLaren Vale, were identified as suitable locations however Mr Colmer said land near Shingleback was no longer an option.

Onkaparinga’s commercial director Steve Mathewson said the council had met with Mr Colmer several times and had investigated sites for the development, but none of the public locations were suitable.
My experience with such quirky things is they start with BIG plans, then cost overruns occur (everything is custom made). Then once complete they tend to suffer from a shortage of available maintenance funds...
mansion-1.jpg
mansion-1.jpg (64.63 KiB) Viewed 7112 times
mansion-2.jpg
mansion-2.jpg (52.94 KiB) Viewed 7112 times
mansion-3.jpg
mansion-3.jpg (43.19 KiB) Viewed 7112 times
mansion-4.jpg
mansion-4.jpg (40.78 KiB) Viewed 7112 times
mansion-5.jpg
mansion-5.jpg (52.38 KiB) Viewed 7112 times
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

ml69
Legendary Member!

Re: Quirky Mansion

#2 Post by ml69 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:37 pm

Wayno wrote:Added here to the 'vision' section as i'm not sure this will get approved, or even done...

From AdelaideNow
THE man who wants to build a quirky, multimillion dollar medieval-themed playground has turned his sights to Victor Harbor, after an Adelaide council failed to embrace the concept.

Theme park designer James Colmer says a lack of interest by Onkaparinga Council has forced the him to look for a new location to build his $2 million adventure playground.

And last week he met with the Victor Harbor Council, visiting two potential locations for the Knightsbridge Adventure Playground.

Mr Colmer released his plan to build the “world’s best adventure playground” in the south in 2013.

The multimillion project would be community-funded.

“I’d still ideally like to do it in McLaren Vale if I could get the support and the location, but the Victor Harbor mayor called me himself directly,” Mr

“With the Greenhills Adventure Park closing, they’re losing jobs and an attraction, so the mayor sounded very keen.”

Mr Colmer’s vision is for a playground with five themed areas: a castle entrance with drawbridge, an enchanted forest, a pirate ship, spaceport and 15m long slides.

In a statement on the playground’s Facebook page, Victor Harbor Mayor Graham Philip said the development would enhance the visitor experience to the region.

The southern Times Messenger reported in September land at Fox Creek Wines and behind Shingleback Winery, in McLaren Vale, were identified as suitable locations however Mr Colmer said land near Shingleback was no longer an option.

Onkaparinga’s commercial director Steve Mathewson said the council had met with Mr Colmer several times and had investigated sites for the development, but none of the public locations were suitable.
My experience with such quirky things is they start with BIG plans, then cost overruns occur (everything is custom made). Then once complete they tend to suffer from a shortage of available maintenance funds...
mansion-1.jpg
mansion-2.jpg
mansion-3.jpg
mansion-4.jpg
mansion-5.jpg
This is exactly what the Adelaide parklands needs ... and the parklands are an even location for it. I could easily foresee that such a quirky Adventure Playground would attract children and parents from far and wide.

I'd definitely take my two young children there if it was in the Adelaide parklands, and I live in Rostrevor!

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3 Post by monotonehell » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:53 am

Two small alarm bells ring here.
1. "community funded"
2. Realising what is in those renders alone would cost way more than $2 million.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4 Post by Wayno » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:17 am

monotonehell wrote:Two small alarm bells ring here.
1. "community funded"
2. Realising what is in those renders alone would cost way more than $2 million.
Bingo!
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.