Discussion: Development of Adelaide Railyards

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Development on Westend railyards

#181 Post by cruel_world00 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:16 pm

Shuz wrote:A lot of people seem to be overlooking the prime development oppurtunities for the State Sports Park precinct (Santos, ETSA, etc.) for an inner-city stadium. I think its a very considerable and viable alternative to the railyards - pending the outcome of the Adelaide Hospital (god forbid I ever call that thing the Marj again).

If anything, the walking distance to the CBD from Santos Stadium is actually marginally on par from the MCG to Melbourne's CBD via the most direct pedestrian pathway, which would certainly guarantee prospect for increased social economical benefits to the CBD thereafter an event.

Santos > CBD (0.92km, exiting Main Grandstand, walking along S.D.B.D, to Grote St/West Tce intersection)

MCG > CBD (0.95km, exiting Member's Entrance, walking along pedestrian bridge to Batman Ave, to Flinders Street/Batman Ave intersection)

Can I have the bulldozer keys now? :P

Considering obesity levels and the shit people chow down at sporting events, it would probably do patrons a world of good walking a little bit.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Development on Westend railyards - enough already

#182 Post by monotonehell » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:31 pm

Howie wrote:
monotonehell wrote: The first is to stop going around in ever decreasing circles. ;) The second is if you actually want to do something constructive, form a group and get Howie to make a submission topic (if he's amicable) then work toward an actual submission on the topic to the entities who matter - Govt, sports bodies, business bodies, MHS, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera...
I'm amicable. But i'm not sure if the government are ready to listen to submissions - they appear to have their minds made up .... haven't the tenders already gone out for that anyway?
Yes, I guess the railyards are a bit of a fait accompli in terms of the Hospital. But that's not the only suitable site, and what most sensible people here are calling for is a long term vision statement from the govt.

Like Shuz said - there's other sites.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Development on Westend railyards - enough already

#183 Post by Omicron » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:35 pm

monotonehell wrote:
Howie wrote:
monotonehell wrote: The first is to stop going around in ever decreasing circles. ;) The second is if you actually want to do something constructive, form a group and get Howie to make a submission topic (if he's amicable) then work toward an actual submission on the topic to the entities who matter - Govt, sports bodies, business bodies, MHS, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera...
I'm amicable. But i'm not sure if the government are ready to listen to submissions - they appear to have their minds made up .... haven't the tenders already gone out for that anyway?
Yes, I guess the railyards are a bit of a fait accompli in terms of the Hospital. But that's not the only suitable site, and what most sensible people here are calling for is a long term vision statement from the govt.

Like Shuz said - there's other sites.
Tut tut!

:wink:

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#184 Post by cruel_world00 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:03 pm

A different perspective from another forum, this one comes from bigfooty an AFL forum. I'm not saying I agree but some of the ideas have some merit, although all up I'm unsure. The part about Hindmarsh being 2.5ks and that being similar to MCG is incorrect. IIRC Shuza did say that MCG was under a K from the CBD in melbs.
Adelaide Sporting Development Idea....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In light of going to Hindmarsh Stadium last night I have been thinking about how to incorporate a "Football Precinct" in that area.

Hindmarsh Stadium is about 2.5kms from the Adelaide Railway Station. Which is about the same distance the G is from Flinders St. Walking distance.

Develop Hindmarsh into a 40k Capacity. It can be done. Steep seating and build up.
Govt buys some of the Clipsal site or another premise down there and builds a multi storey carpark. This can be used for Hindmarsh Stadium, EntCentre, New Stadium and even gigs at The Gov.
Directly across the Brewery build a Telstra Dome type stadium. Give the SANFL a peppercorn lease on the land and let them have ownership of the stadium, to get Footy into the City area. Sell off West lakes to help fund new Stadium. SANFL retains full control.
Then you can link the City with a walking track from the new Hospital to the precinct. The loss of the Parklands would be minimal as the area I have in mind is wasted with carparks and is not looked after well anyway. You would still retain the area where the Circus sets up. An added bonus is that this area could be used for those who want BBQs on match day, ie gold members can park there. Much like Max Basheer reserve is now. This would be lost on any other city site. And I know it is an enjoyable part of the day for many of us.

There are two train stations in the area, North Adelaide and Bowden, plus a Tram is being sent down there in the near future.

I know this is a pipe dream, but thoughts??

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#185 Post by monotonehell » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:53 pm

What are these "other forums" of which you speak? ;)
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

BenJ
Gold-Member ;)

#186 Post by BenJ » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:42 am

Unless we have something NEW to add to this debate, let's not waste bandwidth just going over and over the same argument.
Totally agree Monotone. I think I was participating in this debate about six months ago and it looks like it hasn't changed or moved forward since. In the interest of everyone's sanity, something at least stating how innappropriate the new hospital's location is, should be organised. I would be very keen to be a part of that.

I'm sorry but hospitals and nursing homes do not rejuvenate or energise a city. The government is deluded if it thinks we can create a hip and happening vibe in the west end by building a hospital. Sick people generally don't feel like participating in much...

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#187 Post by cruel_world00 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:51 am

BenJ wrote:
Unless we have something NEW to add to this debate, let's not waste bandwidth just going over and over the same argument.
Totally agree Monotone. I think I was participating in this debate about six months ago and it looks like it hasn't changed or moved forward since. In the interest of everyone's sanity, something at least stating how innappropriate the new hospital's location is, should be organised. I would be very keen to be a part of that.

I'm sorry but hospitals and nursing homes do not rejuvenate or energise a city. The government is deluded if it thinks we can create a hip and happening vibe in the west end by building a hospital. Sick people generally don't feel like participating in much...

I am behind this. I do not disapprove of an RAH revamp or rebuild, but don't fucking put it on prime inner CBD real estate without first informing the taxpayers of why this is the best/only choice!

how_good_is_he
High Rise Poster!

#188 Post by how_good_is_he » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:20 am

The State Govt's original plans of getting private infrastructure companies [ie Macquarie Bank] to build/fund this new hospital [and then lease it back] have been turned on its head.

With the credit crunch and most investment companies on life support, finding a company able to outlay $1bill. will be very very hard.

Even if they do, they investment companies would now want a return probably double what they would have expected when this plan was announced, making the whole project probably un-feasible.

If the London Olympic Village [Lend lease] is struggling to get financing for some $1billion, what hope does SA have!

Further the Govt finances would have been absolutely smashed with massive stock losses, so I doubt it will even happen now.

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#189 Post by skyliner » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:12 pm

How_good_is_he - an interesting read. Some might recall that I mentioned on another thread about info via a Chief Finance Controller here in SA (my brother) who said the Marj was shelved - would be due to finance. Can't say I'm upset really due to proposed location but am annoyed at the lack of mathing the medical needs of the city.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

Loch Nes
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#190 Post by Loch Nes » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:24 pm

Hi, i was wondering if anyone on here would be able to answer these survey questions on a possible adelaide bid for the commonwealth games. It is for a year 12 tourism assignment i am doing on the affect on the sa tourism industry if adelaide was to win the rights to host the event in 2018. I am a regular visitor to this site and i thought you would be the best people to ask for help on this topic. If you do happen to complete the survey, please email to [email protected]
thanks for your time.
I hope i have posted this in the appropriate forum

The SA State Opposition have stated they will bid for the Commonwealth Games if they win the 2010 Election.
It would be appreciated if you could answer the following survey questions. Please feel free to skip questions if you have no opinion on the mentioned topic.

Involvement in Tourism Industry?
Employment:

1. Would Adelaide be capable of hosting the commonwealth games?

Why/ Why Not?

2. Do you think it would attract many tourists to Adelaide?

Why/Why Not?

3. Would you support the Government spending an estimated $2billion on vital infrastructure to help host the Commonwealth Games and future International Events? i.e. FIFA Football World Cup, Asian Football Cup, Athletics Championships

Why/Why Not?

4. Would the Commonwealth Games put Adelaide on the World Map?

Comment:

5. What is your preferred stadium option for the event?

Revamped AAMI Stadium (51,200 seats)

Expanded Adelaide Oval (45,000 seats)

New Multi-Purpose Arena with a retractable roof in the CBD (70,000+ seats)

Other Venue, please state + why

6. Would you attend any events?

If yes, what?

7. How much would you be prepared to pay to attend an event?

8. Do you think Adelaide has the infrastructure to successfully host the estimated 50,000 international tourists?
I.e. hotels, public transport, Restaurants, Security, Restaurants, Airports

If answered no, what needs improving?

8. Would new sporting infrastructure be financially viable in the long term?
e.g. $1billion Stadium, Aquatic Centre, Gymnastics Hall, Rowing Lanes at West Lakes

9. Would you be happy to host tourists in your own home due to a lack of hotel rooms in South Australia?

10. Would you vote for the Liberal Party solely due to the promise of a Commonwealth Games bid?

11. Do the Current Labor Government’s priorities/views prevent Adelaide from hosting large international events?

12. Any other comments?

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#191 Post by Wayno » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:31 pm

Loch Nes wrote:Hi, i was wondering if anyone on here would be able to answer these survey questions on a possible adelaide bid for the commonwealth games. It is for a year 12 tourism assignment i am doing on the affect on the sa tourism industry if adelaide was to win the rights to host the event in 2018. I am a regular visitor to this site and i thought you would be the best people to ask for help on this topic. If you do happen to complete the survey, please email to [email protected]
thanks for your time.
hey loch nes, have you considered using Survey Monkey? It's free and has some neat survey features ==> http://www.surveymonkey.com/

anyway, i'll respond to your survey and email to you, but on the condition you share your full assignment results with us :-)
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Loch Nes
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#192 Post by Loch Nes » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:03 pm

Wayno wrote:
Loch Nes wrote:Hi, i was wondering if anyone on here would be able to answer these survey questions on a possible adelaide bid for the commonwealth games. It is for a year 12 tourism assignment i am doing on the affect on the sa tourism industry if adelaide was to win the rights to host the event in 2018. I am a regular visitor to this site and i thought you would be the best people to ask for help on this topic. If you do happen to complete the survey, please email to [email protected]
thanks for your time.
hey loch nes, have you considered using Survey Monkey? It's free and has some neat survey features ==> http://www.surveymonkey.com/

anyway, i'll respond to your survey and email to you, but on the condition you share your full assignment results with us :-)
Yeah cheers mate, will do, remind me though :)

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#193 Post by AG » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:45 am

Privacy priority for new-age Marj hospital
MICHAEL OWEN, POLITICAL REPORTER
October 16, 2008 11:30pm
THE traditional "rigid ward structure" will be abandoned for single rooms and "flexible pods" in the new Marjorie Jackson-Nelson Hospital, a Health Department report reveals.

A draft copy of a Model of Care report, co-authored by former Royal Adelaide Hospital chief, Associate Professor Kaye Challinger, gives a preview of how patients may be cared for in the new hospital.
The August 1 report obtained by The Advertiser this week said by May, 2016, when the $1.7 billion facility was expected to be fully operational, there would be a total of 800 beds, 100 of which would be for day patients.

There was expected to be about 41,000 hospital admissions, with an average stay of 5.6 days and 42,500 day patient admissions annually. The report forecast about 86,000 emergency presentations a year.

A large part of the design options for the new hospital, to be built on the Adelaide railyards as a replacement for the ageing RAH, are based on the "Single Room Pilot Ward" project at the UK's Hillingdon Hospital.

An August 11 supplementary report by Karen Polley, a member of the Health Department's clinical planning team for major projects, said the new hospital would "incorporate a high percentage of single rooms".

This would support isolation, patient dignity, privacy and confidentiality.

The supplementary report said single rooms also reduced exposure to noise and medication error, allowed rest and sleep and increased family support.

Ms Challinger's report to the department noted the need for a "flexible" inpatient design based on "pods" of eight to 12 beds "rather than a rigid ward structure".

"It will include a high percentage of single rooms (which can be adapted to manage high acuity patients) and incorporate Universal Rooms to enhance management of complex/high acuity patients and to add further flexibility (such as allowing family members to stay)," the report said.

It was noted in the report that "there will be a creative tension that exists between workforce availability, affordability and the ability to drive the patient-focused journey".

The design will focus on aspects such as natural light, colour, nature (images and green space), and allow patients to control temperature, visual art and music.

Other main patient areas being designed include separate medical and surgical assessment units and a psychiatric emergency care unit. Health Minister John Hill said yesterday the department was "now working through with clinicians" the best "model of care".

"Part of the thinking is including looking at how patient rooms will be configured. We are looking at increasing the number of single rooms," he said.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#194 Post by crawf » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:20 am

Thats a step in the right direction.

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#195 Post by cruel_world00 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:21 pm

crawf wrote:Thats a step in the right direction.

Just take that step to a new location and I'll be happy too. :P