Adelaide Airport rail link

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Pistol
Legendary Member!

#16 Post by Pistol » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:36 pm

I was looking at the 2006 Annual Report for AAL and it states that they are planning for a multi storey hotel connected to the terminal by a walkway. Anyone else heard of this? A tram line running down Bradman Drive would be wonderful - serving the airport and also the growing inner western suburbs with a state of the art public transport system. This sort of initiative is what draws people and business to our city. We would be the envy of other states - in particular WA and Vic. We need forward thinking and not just rest on our laurels (which are quickly dwindling).

Froggy
Gold-Member ;)

#17 Post by Froggy » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:07 pm

Pistol78 wrote:I was looking at the 2006 Annual Report for AAL and it states that they are planning for a multi storey hotel connected to the terminal by a walkway. Anyone else heard of this? A tram line running down Bradman Drive would be wonderful - serving the airport and also the growing inner western suburbs with a state of the art public transport system. This sort of initiative is what draws people and business to our city. We would be the envy of other states - in particular WA and Vic. We need forward thinking and not just rest on our laurels (which are quickly dwindling).
Mate, the express bus from the Melbourne Terminal is hardly ever full, they don't need a tram or a train to their airport so I doubt they'd give a toss.

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#18 Post by Ho Really » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:02 pm

Will wrote:I think that a tram line to the airport is a good idea, and if the tram replaced the current bus service to the airport, then it would be well patronised. However I don't think that the tram should travel down Sir Donald Bradman Boulevard. It would be better if the tram travelled from the CBD down Currie Street, and then along Henley Beach Road. Upon reaching Airport Road (which has a very wide median strip) the tram would divert towards the airport. (look it up in your street directory)

I prefer Henley Beach Road, because it already has quite a few cafes and restaurants, and a busy retail precinct. A tram line, running down the street would enhance the precinct, but also provide visitors with a more attractive entry into the city.
I didn't include Henley Beach Road in the Glenelg Tram Line Upgrade thread, however I wouldn't rule it out as an option. The only issue is its width in some places. It has its pluses compared to Sir Donald Bradman Drive as Will mentioned, but I still think the direct route through to the centre of the city is the way to go, that's if a tram is the option taken and not the light rail.

Cheers

Ho Really

#19 Post by Ho Really » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:12 pm

Froggy wrote:...I'd rather see an ambitious underground direct train link up, go underground from the city train station to the airport.
An idea thought up by ex-deputy Prime Minister Tim Fischer and published in The Advertiser several years ago. I don't think undergrounding is a sensible idea on the west side of the city. The area around the Airport is flood plain. However from about West Terrace onwards it would be OK (if you wanted to extend it to the Eastern Suburbs).

Cheers

Ho Really

#20 Post by Ho Really » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:14 pm

Redback20 wrote:With future economic growth in mind (such as discussed by Lang Walker in the Buckland Park thread), increased prosperity, air travel and SA population/migration growth, I think its vital we continue the example of vision and innovation set for our fair city by Col Light. There's already the start of growth in the airline and international markets in particular once Tiger arrive here - others will follow them. Take a look at european airports at what happened when low-cost operators moved in.

As I said previously, these cheap air services are drivers of tourism not followers. They sell/market the city for you in some ways. But if you fly heaps of asian and/or european tourists into our great new airport, then they walk out of Baggage reclaim to see, well what... Go wait for a bus, and don't forget to lug those heavy cases with you...

Have you been to Asia or Europe recently? a rail or tram link is as mandatory as an airbridge at the gate. If we're going to be serious about attracting large numbers of overseas tourists - and I'm talking about over the next 20-30 odd years, then we need to invest in such a link and capitalise on it in such a way (as Alfer mentioned) that it showcases the best the CBD has to offer en route. Its about 'Adelaide Ltd' in partnership with tourism drivers like these airlines.
A tram/rail stop at Arrivals and tourists whisked into Vic Square or North Tce in minutes - this is the 21st century, we're talking about planning for our city's long term future. No reason the airport should be end of line, in fact given its so close it shouldn't be, take it into the western suburbs, extend the tram from City West maybe...

But if you wait until a link becomes absolutely essential to maintain tourist figures then you're already too late, these operators work on incredibly tight margins and will be gone. It happened with a number of French airports and Easyjet a couple of years ago. Not enough infrastructure or commitment... too much hard work for tourists, plenty of other places that aren't, off they go... route loses numbers, service untenable... and chopped. Worst of all, a precedent set for others.

O/T but similar argument for expanding the suburban tram & train networks whilst our traffic is still relatively light. Cos when our roads become clogged in 20-30 years time, closing roads for major construction projects will majorly impact business and the city's economy... again its already happened in france and the UK, but they're at the point whre they have no choice. Its either build them or accept gridlock.

We have a wonderful opportunity in the benefit of hindsight as our traffic levels are still a decade or two behind these countries. So use it, think ahead and invest now whilst the corridors are still there. Col Light made us the best planned metropolis in the southern hemisphere, lets keep the reputation
Music to my ears!! Adelaide would finally grow up and be respected.

Cheers

Ho Really

#21 Post by Ho Really » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:22 pm

Pistol78 wrote:I was looking at the 2006 Annual Report for AAL and it states that they are planning for a multi storey hotel connected to the terminal by a walkway. Anyone else heard of this? A tram line running down Bradman Drive would be wonderful - serving the airport and also the growing inner western suburbs with a state of the art public transport system. This sort of initiative is what draws people and business to our city. We would be the envy of other states - in particular WA and Vic. We need forward thinking and not just rest on our laurels (which are quickly dwindling).
I have thought about an Hotel at the Airport as well. Usually they suit larger hubs where a lot of travellers are in transit, however if the guys at AAL have done their research right it may even work here.

Pistol78 well said. Adelaide Airport and Adelaide as a city has so much potential.

Cheers

Ho Really

#22 Post by Ho Really » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:35 pm

Froggy wrote:...Mate, the express bus from the Melbourne Terminal is hardly ever full, they don't need a tram or a train to their airport so I doubt they'd give a toss.
If Tullamarine Airport already had a rail link, I'd bet my house, it would be well patronised.

Cheers

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#23 Post by AtD » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:41 pm

Froggy wrote:The concern with henley beach road is that it's probably not wide enough for a tram line down the middle. It could only support one way. I'd rather see an ambitious underground direct train link up, go underground from the city train station to the airport.
Trams and can road traffic share lanes, you know. If the stops were designed correctly, or the tram ran in the left lane, it'd cause fewer delays than a bus would as trams can accelerate faster and don't change lanes.

Ho Really

#24 Post by Ho Really » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:18 am

From the Glenelg Tram Line Upgrade thread:
James Renfrey wrote:I do, 'Ho Really'. I have for some years now publicly proposed a comprehensive light rail system as a solution to Adelaide's transport problems. I am guessing that you would use part of the former tram corridor between North Terrace and Henley Beach Road alongside Port and Deviation Roads, connecting with the new tramway at its temporary terminus opposite the western campus of UniSA or proceeding on gauge converted tracks into the Adelaide Station.
That's a possibility if you are considering an extension of the Glenelg to UniSA West line. I was actually thinking of a light rail system (when we adopt standard gauge) using an existing line from the Adelaide Railway Station to Mile End. From there it would pass adjacent to Santos Stadium onto the centre of the South Road Connector and along the drain to Adelaide Airport. The light rail corridor I have proposed may be more involved than a tram line down either Henley Beach Road or Sir Donald Bradman Drive. The advantage with light rail is it won't have stops between the Airport and Adelaide Station. The other issue is that we need to improve access to the Adelaide Station for travellers coming from all directions around Adelaide. It has to become a central hub. This may be solved by buidling a transport hub over the railyards west of the Morphett Street Bridge. Imagine that?

Cheers

Redback20
Gold-Member ;)

#25 Post by Redback20 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:27 am

Why should we always take our lead from Melbourne and not consider it if they don't have it...

We don't need to live in their shadow, they do some things well and good luck to them. But not everything, and where tourism's concerned they don't have the climate, hills, beaches and vineyards to even come near to this state.

"If your goal is nothing you will succeed every day" i forget who said that but its v true!

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#26 Post by Edgar » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:54 am

This isn't exactly a bad proposal at all, but hate to be the spoilsport, but, I cannot see it being necessary for at least when Adelaide becomes as busy as Sydney.

I am not being negative, and this sort of rail system isn't new to me either, you get a lot of these system in Asia, what's best? You can even check in your luggage and verify your tickets at the station in the city, and when you hop into the tram/train will take you straight to the airport without having to check in again afterwards.

But like everyone had said, the J1 J2 busses, although not the fastest thing to get you from the airport to the city or vice versa, are still a very efficient system, since they are O-Bahn busses (if that still remains the same) which linked them straight to t-tree.

It is a good idea as well, if this does happened, that they take the Henley Beach Route via Currie St then Glover Avenue, but as most of you might have been aware by now, the Bakewell Underpass is halfway through, and there is already our state major rail network lines crossing vertically along East Terrace. So building another rail line horizontally is not possible, and considering the underpass, there won't be a light at all for this idea.

Ho Really

#27 Post by Ho Really » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:36 am

edgar_raphael wrote:This isn't exactly a bad proposal at all, but hate to be the spoilsport, but, I cannot see it being necessary for at least when Adelaide becomes as busy as Sydney.
Why wait? Adelaide is just shy of the 6 million passengers a year mark. With investment and job prospects improving in Adelaide and SA and the possible number of airlines/flights increasing that number of pax will rise quickly. Also projects like this don’t happen overnight, they take time to plan and construct. It may be 3-6 years into the future.
I am not being negative, and this sort of rail system isn't new to me either, you get a lot of these system in Asia, what's best? You can even check in your luggage and verify your tickets at the station in the city, and when you hop into the tram/train will take you straight to the airport without having to check in again afterwards.
That’s one option as well that could be introduced at Adelaide Railway Station.
But like everyone had said, the J1 J2 busses, although not the fastest thing to get you from the airport to the city or vice versa, are still a very efficient system, since they are O-Bahn busses (if that still remains the same) which linked them straight to t-tree.
Overseas people - and these are what we want - especially prefer light rail. They are used to it. They want comfort and efficiency. It also makes the system modern and professional looking. Basically it should leave a good impression on people.
It is a good idea as well, if this does happened, that they take the Henley Beach Route via Currie St then Glover Avenue, but as most of you might have been aware by now, the Bakewell Underpass is halfway through, and there is already our state major rail network lines crossing vertically along East Terrace. So building another rail line horizontally is not possible, and considering the underpass, there won't be a light at all for this idea.
This shows you how myopic governments are when planning transport systems. They never plan for future possibilities. The corridor was there long ago when a line went down to Glenelg. Why not leave an option open just in case? Anyway, it doesn’t mean they cannot connect an Airport-City link to an existing line over the Henley Beach/Glover Avenue underpass. It would just mean amending timetables and have switches/signaling installed. Otherwise a tram is the next best thing with several route options open.

Cheers

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#28 Post by Cruise » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:00 pm

Ummm..... Snowballs chance in hell?

shuza
High Rise Poster!

#29 Post by shuza » Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:29 pm

With all this hubbub of Adelaide Airport being the best in the nation, we should be considerate of travellers impressions of our city, because after exiting the airport, all interest is lost until arrival to the CBD. A light rail link would maintain this impression, and even help fuel further visitor numbers growth through the airport.

Win-win-win for airport, goverment and visitors.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#30 Post by rev » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:27 pm

6 million travellers through the airport a year, is a drop in the ocean, if your trying justify major transport infrastructure to the airport.