Regular rail service to and from Murray Bridge/Tailem Bend

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.

Should a rail service be returned to Murray Bridge/Tailem Bend

Yes
73%
No
27%

Total votes: 22

Will409
Legendary Member!

Regular rail service to and from Murray Bridge/Tailem Bend

#1 Post by Will409 » Tue May 08, 2007 5:10 pm

Until circa 1984, there was a 2/3 times daily train from Adelaide to Murray Bridge and Tailem Bend which was operated like a extended suburban service (although it was technically classified as a country service) between the towns and Adelaide. In 1984, Australian National decided to cut the service as part of a statewide curtailment of country passenger services in the state which was completed in 1990.

With the sensational growth of Murray Bridge in the past few years, do you think it would be a good move to reintroduce a country passenger service to Murray Bridge/Tailem Bend making stops only at Belair, Bridgewater, Mt Barker Junction (with a bus connection for the 5kms trip to Mt Barker itself) and finally Murray Bridge/Tailem Bend.

What are your opinions?

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2 Post by AG » Tue May 08, 2007 6:09 pm

On the existing rail alignment between Goodwood Junction and Murray Bridge, I don't think a rail service is a feasible option. Even the existing alignment for the Belair Line beyond Blackwood for suburban trains is quite useless. There needs to be a new alignment for the intercity passenger and freight services IMO, probably in the form of a tunnel beginning somewhere near Mitcham and running for several kilometres up to beyond Belair to rejoin the existing alignment.

If we think further ahead, the entire suburban rail network should be electrified and converted to standard gauge. AFAIK, the broad gauge lines are owned and operated by TransAdelaide, while the standard gauge tracks are owned and operated by ARTC. The operations of the Belair Line in particular are quite inefficient with a broad gauge line and a standard gauge line running parallel with passing loops everywhere. Obviously since the tracks aren't going to be reverted back to broad gauge (as they both once were), the existing broad gauge track may as well be converted to standard gauge as well to allow one track to be used for both freight and passenger services (including suburban) in each direction. I'm not sure about the width of the corridor, but possibly a third track could be constructed between Mitcham and Goodwood Junction to allow trains to overtake, as well as a flyover or dive for services to cross over to the existing standard gauge line on the western side at Goodwood.

Coverting the entire rail network to standard gauge and having the tracks under one owner would also have benefits for the Gawler Line. Instead of having two tracks for suburban services and one track that gets used once every few hours, there could be a three track operation allowing for fast trains.

When projects and issues like this need to be considered, the impact shouldn't just be analysed to the immediate local area of the network, but also the rest of the network.

bdm
High Rise Poster!

#3 Post by bdm » Tue May 08, 2007 8:16 pm

Not yet. Why? When Murray Bridge is 70k or something, sure... but even then we've got a freeway which we can throw buses on easy.

The tunnels in the hills, the track, the infrastructure are not ready and to get them ready would cost too much.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4 Post by AtD » Tue May 08, 2007 8:27 pm

I voted yes, but I can only see this ever happening as part of a wider rail network shake-up.

Wilfy 2007
High Rise Poster!

Re: Regular rail service to and from Murray Bridge/Tailem Bend

#5 Post by Wilfy 2007 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:29 pm

This proposed service is an idea that I have placed in the ideas page of my SAR 2008 Website.

I believe that South Australia is now at the beginning of a possible huge return to excellent Rail Freight and Passenger Services and basically all it needs is someone with the balls to give it a go.

I am considering starting a Company which could be involved in some of this expansion.

Anybody interested?

Let me know your thoughts.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by AG » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:53 pm

Wilfy 2007 wrote:This proposed service is an idea that I have placed in the ideas page of my SAR 2008 Website.

I believe that South Australia is now at the beginning of a possible huge return to excellent Rail Freight and Passenger Services and basically all it needs is someone with the balls to give it a go.

I am considering starting a Company which could be involved in some of this expansion.

Anybody interested?

Let me know your thoughts.
To start a company for the sake of expanding rail services into the rural and country areas would be quite an ambitious and daring move to say the least! If you were to start a company, what service would it actually provide? (Would it be responsible for operating the system, or providing a contracting service for construction, etc.)

I believe that there should be some regional services on the standard gauge to Port Augusta and Whyalla, and that there should also be a drive to expand the rail network down the Eyre Peninsula towards Victor Harbor from the Noarlunga Line (rather than the existing broad gauge Hills route). The current route to Murray Bridge via the Belair Line wouldn't be feasible for an intercity service IMO, there'd need to be significant investment in converting the existing broad gauge network to standard gauge or additional passing loops on the existing standard gauge as well as some sort of new alignment between Mitcham and beyond Belair.

P.S This thread should really be in the Visions & Suggestions forum.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#7 Post by Cruise » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:17 pm

rail services to whyalla? *drools uncontrollably*

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#8 Post by SRW » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:09 am

AG wrote: To start a company for the sake of expanding rail services into the rural and country areas would be quite an ambitious and daring move to say the least! If you were to start a company, what service would it actually provide? (Would it be responsible for operating the system, or providing a contracting service for construction, etc.)

I believe that there should be some regional services on the standard gauge to Port Augusta and Whyalla, and that there should also be a drive to expand the rail network down the Eyre Peninsula towards Victor Harbor from the Noarlunga Line (rather than the existing broad gauge Hills route). The current route to Murray Bridge via the Belair Line wouldn't be feasible for an intercity service IMO, there'd need to be significant investment in converting the existing broad gauge network to standard gauge or additional passing loops on the existing standard gauge as well as some sort of new alignment between Mitcham and beyond Belair.

P.S This thread should really be in the Visions & Suggestions forum.
That'd be the Fleurieu Peninsula :wink:

I think I'd prefer the metropolitan network to be standardised before any start is made on regional passenger services. Good idea about Victor Harbour via Noarlunga line though.
Keep Adelaide Weird

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#9 Post by rhino » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:37 pm

SRW wrote:Good idea about Victor Harbour via Noarlunga line though.
A few years ago this idea popped up on the Railpage forums, and some people tried to work out a route. Unfortunately, nothing was practical. The hills are just too big, meaning that either very long tunnels or a very circuitous route would be required. The cost of tunnels is prohibitive, and the length of the long route could not compete with road transport.

The Victor Harbor Road is a good road, that unfortunately is driven on by a good many idiots. From Noarlunga to Darlington there is half a freeway, which hopefully will become a whole freeway in the not-too-distant future. From Darlington to Adelaide, South Road is slowly being upgraded to cope with more traffic. The road travel time to Victor Harbor is being shortenned bit by bit. Rail is never going to be able to compete with that, I'm afraid.

Now - back on topic. The current alignments of the South Eastern Freeway and the South (rail) Line allow road travel from Murray Bridge to Adelaide to be as quick as rail travel from Mount Barker to Adelaide (probably quicker). How much commuting is there between Tailem Bend, Murray Bridge, and Adelaide? (If your answer is "quite a lot", I will slap you!). Is there really enough to warrant a new rail alignment?

How much commuting traffic is there between Tailem Bend and Murray Bridge? Karoonda and Murray Bridge? Is there enough for a railcar service between Murray Bridge and those centres? (I suspect not, but travel-time-wise it would be more likely to get enough patronage than rail travel to Adelaide).
cheers,
Rhino

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#10 Post by Cruise » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:07 am

rhino wrote:
SRW wrote:
How much commuting is there between Tailem Bend, Murray Bridge, and Adelaide? (If your answer is "quite a lot", I will slap you!). Is there really enough to warrant a new rail alignment?
I have been lead to beleive their is quite a lot of commuting between those towns in question.

rhino

#11 Post by rhino » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:06 am

Coming over there to slap you now Cruise :D

"Quite a Lot" is absolutely meaningless. You need a number. One person's idea of quite a lot is different to another's, and I suspect neither of them will be enough to make this service pay.
cheers,
Rhino

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#12 Post by jimmy_2486 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:24 am

Paris Hilton says she eats quite a lot of food...

Bulldozer
High Rise Poster!

#13 Post by Bulldozer » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:35 pm

rhino wrote:Now - back on topic. The current alignments of the South Eastern Freeway and the South (rail) Line allow road travel from Murray Bridge to Adelaide to be as quick as rail travel from Mount Barker to Adelaide (probably quicker). How much commuting is there between Tailem Bend, Murray Bridge, and Adelaide? (If your answer is "quite a lot", I will slap you!). Is there really enough to warrant a new rail alignment?

How much commuting traffic is there between Tailem Bend and Murray Bridge? Karoonda and Murray Bridge? Is there enough for a railcar service between Murray Bridge and those centres? (I suspect not, but travel-time-wise it would be more likely to get enough patronage than rail travel to Adelaide).
Don't think about today - think about 25 years into the future. Cheap land out that way and good transport = growth. If Adelaide can't grow much more and people continue to want the house and backyard then they're going to have to look at living in outlying regions and commuting in. With a fast train and minimal stops it would be similar in time to traveling in a car to Adelaide.

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#14 Post by jimmy_2486 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:04 pm

Its funny that Bulldoser brought up the point of people wanting a house with a backyard because it seems the government doesnt want this to happen.

If you think for a while, for the young couple wanting a house+yard, you pretty much need to live past elizabeth/noarlunga or in the deep hills.

However our heavy rail is absolutely shocking and the government seems to have no strong interests in improving it. Sure, stuff is said, but nothing really goes ahead, well nothing so far.

This pretty much forces outer suburbanites to use their car and forking out loads of money on petrol and car parks. However the government doesnt even provide a decent motorway/freeway to get into the city?

Does it seem like the government really care about people living in the outer suburbs?? All they do is release land that ends up becoming developed which is just adding to the congestion in the outer burbs and making things worse. If they have no money for new services, then dont go out developing new areas that need infrustructure that you cant afford.

This seems a little scary becuase as our population grows (especially with the mining boom on the way) traffic will pile up harder, trains will get more overcrowded. This will have a big effect on outer suburban house prices. Outer suburban houses with big backyards will be least favourable as it will be soo hard in the future to commute to the city, which I think will scare buyers away into the inner suburbs for a small dwelling.

Basically, the government seems to improve bus/tram services for the inner suburbs, but they couldnt give a rats toss about the outer suburbs because when it comes to heavy rail/freeways, we dont hear a peep, just ideas that get shelved.

rhino

#15 Post by rhino » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:03 am

Bulldozer wrote: Don't think about today - think about 25 years into the future. Cheap land out that way and good transport = growth. If Adelaide can't grow much more and people continue to want the house and backyard then they're going to have to look at living in outlying regions and commuting in. With a fast train and minimal stops it would be similar in time to traveling in a car to Adelaide.
My thinking for 25 years into the future is that we should be growing our provincial cities like Murray Bridge, by encouraging industry to move out there where the land is cheaper. To achieve this, freight transport needs to be subsidized for the industries that do move out there. In 25 years I would like to see regional hubs at Murray Bridge, Bordertown, Nackeroote, and a new export port at Cape Jaffa. The bulk of the people living in the area east of the Adelaide Watershed should be able to find work east of the watershed. That would be good planning.
cheers,
Rhino