Perth's Waterfront Redevelopment

Discussion on developments interstate and overseas.
Mawen
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: Perth's Waterfront Redevelopment

#31 Post by Mawen » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:55 pm

omada wrote:wilkie said
Adelaide's skyline will remain an embarassment whilst the current ACC continues to impose ridiculous height restrictions within the terraces. In Darwin (120,000 people) they are currently finishing off a 29 story and a 33 story building. They have a $1.5bn skyline happening including a 4 tower development on The Esplanade up to 23 stories. They are spending big bucks on their own waterfront precinct. There has also been plans lodged for a landmark, gateway twin tower project up to 50 stories linked like the Petronis Towers in Malaysia. Meanwhile we continue to build 8 - 10 story buildings with little or no real impact on the skyline.
well said mate, i honestly don't know what the deal is with the plethora proposals of sub 20 level buildings in Adelaide ... i know its simplistic, but isn't it inspiring and exciting to enter a city full of massive skyscrapers...

I too agree! It is exciting to enter a city full of massive skyscrapers..

Secondly, if Darwin can do it - why can't we?? You know!

How do we get the people with the bloody power in Adelaide to listen??
Work It

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#32 Post by Wayno » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:11 pm

Mawen wrote: <snip>
How do we get the people with the bloody power in Adelaide to listen??
Mawen, you write a letter and post it to the govt. Stating your frustrations on this website is a good emotional release (and a tremendous opportunity to collaborate & share with enthused people) but unless YOU take direct action nothing will get done.

There's a saying: I wondered why somebody didn’t do something; then I realized that I was somebody (Anonymous)
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#33 Post by jk1237 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:30 pm

Tyler_Durden wrote:
Hippodamus wrote:please, pass me a bucket..

while i acknowledge perth's efforts of proposing something that certainly get's a lot of 'wow' from its development focussed audience, is anyone actually questioning this developments street presence, urban design appeal, public realm, connectivity to the surrounding urban fabric, parking and pedestrian friendliness. i can see another melbourne docklands proposal here, were we see a futurisitc style waterfront proposal, however; with little appeal for the pedestrian using the facility which can be quite a sterile environment to walk in.
I tend to agree.

Don't get me wrong, it does look impressive at distance but it reminds me of Singapore. You can't create a truly great city atmosphere with developments like this. They just end up feeling sterile. I know Melbourne's Docklands is nowhere near finished but you can already see how bland the area will be, compared to the vibrant, exciting, surprise around every corner atmosphere that Melbourne City exudes.

I won't deny there's a touch of jealousy in me when I see this proposal though as it will look striking from a distance.
I agree aswell. It looks very striking and modern, but Perth can have this one. Its ok but it just looks a tad silly in my opinion.

mrblackrooster
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#34 Post by mrblackrooster » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:33 am

Is this the final nail in the coffin?? A few years back there was Sydney and Melbourne the big guns, then at 3rd-ish Adelaide was on par and competing with Perth and Brisbane... lets hope we can at least keep a head of Hobart and Canberra! :shock:

Mants
Legendary Member!

#35 Post by Mants » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:27 am

mrblackrooster wrote:Is this the final nail in the coffin?? A few years back there was Sydney and Melbourne the big guns, then at 3rd-ish Adelaide was on par and competing with Perth and Brisbane... lets hope we can at least keep a head of Hobart and Canberra! :shock:
i think darwin is more of a "threat" than hobart and possibly even canberra.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#36 Post by jk1237 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:59 am

mrblackrooster wrote:Is this the final nail in the coffin?? A few years back there was Sydney and Melbourne the big guns, then at 3rd-ish Adelaide was on par and competing with Perth and Brisbane... lets hope we can at least keep a head of Hobart and Canberra! :shock:
What final nail in what coffin. Have you looked at the CBD development thread. I would like Adl to get a few more tallies, but 40-50 storey buildings on its own dont make a city. Im now kinda liking this 9-15 storey building that are going everywhere in Adelaide. Its making a unique city, instead of the stock standard American style city that Perth and Brisbane have become. I love our streetscapes in Adelaide, much more than Perths CBD. Long live Adelaide :D

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#37 Post by AG » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:51 am

Definitely not. Perth and Brisbane are currently riding the mining boom that both WA and QLD are currently experiencing. In QLD, the boom is also coming about as a result of lifestyle and sea change. The mining boom in Adelaide isn't anywhere near it's potential yet, most of the major expansions planned haven't even started yet, with only a few mines such as Prominent Hill coming online soon. Adelaide's population growth rate in relative and absolute terms is greater than both Canberra and Hobart. Gold Coast and Darwin are growing quicker in relative terms.

mrblackrooster
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#38 Post by mrblackrooster » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:38 pm

What final nail in what coffin. Have you looked at the CBD development thread. I would like Adl to get a few more tallies, but 40-50 storey buildings on its own dont make a city. Im now kinda liking this 9-15 storey building that are going everywhere in Adelaide. Its making a unique city, instead of the stock standard American style city that Perth and Brisbane have become. I love our streetscapes in Adelaide, much more than Perths CBD. Long live Adelaide :D
lol try this one...my Brisbane mate said to me..."pronounce Adelaide without the 'A'. "

but anyways its about time we're seeing some crane action around the city...its fantastic...especially all the residential buildings going up rather than spreading our population even further away...but it aint the lack of action but the lack of vision... Adelaide has soo much potential....lets just hope we get to see it come to fruition in our life time.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#39 Post by AG » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:55 pm

Would anyone believe me if I said that the little sleepy hollow of Rockhampton in QLD (population: 62000) is about to get a 100m tall apartment building, almost as tall as anything currently planned in Adelaide? There's a lot of places building the odd tall apartment block here and there (Darwin included), but they still aren't growing as quickly as Adelaide, which still prefers to stick to the fatsos of buildings.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#40 Post by Wayno » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:23 pm

AG wrote:Would anyone believe me if I said that the little sleepy hollow of Rockhampton in QLD (population: 62000) is about to get a 100m tall apartment building, almost as tall as anything currently planned in Adelaide? There's a lot of places building the odd tall apartment block here and there (Darwin included), but they still aren't growing as quickly as Adelaide, which still prefers to stick to the fatsos of buildings.
You know AG, i've seen a couple of postings in the last couple of months on this website about Adelaide Airport Authority regulations (and ACC guidelines) stating our CBD building heights are restricted due to aircraft safety reasons (not for normal take-off/landing situations, but for when aircraft needs to circle back quickly after experiencing problems on take-off). My question is, has the SA Govt actually done a formal enquiry into this? i bet the height restrictions could be lifted by 50+metres without any problems at all! And if this is the case then it would literally change the business landscape as taller building are probably easier to cost justify than shorter ones.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Hippodamus
High Rise Poster!

#41 Post by Hippodamus » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:18 pm

hey guys, i can't believe i didn't write this before - but having a second look at this proposal, doesn't the tallest tower closest to the water have a striking resemblence with the signature "Gherkin" tower in London...

How pathetic, not only does it look cheap, but it it's imitation architecture at its worst. i'm glad this is in Perth, Adelaide has more class than that.

Mawen
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#42 Post by Mawen » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:07 pm

jk1237 wrote:
You raise some interesting points in this address. I like the uniquness of Adelaide, but, I think what I and others are saying (forgive me for being wrong) is to keep that uniqueness but to make Adelaide a more practical, functional and attractive city.

I think building huge skyscrapers is not neccesarily the answer; but building unique - functional - practical and sustainable buildings, venues and places unlike the temporary buildings for events like Clipsal and the Beach Volleyball are NOT the answer!

Adelaide needs that extra spark which Brissy and Perth have achieved with their vision of building a modern, practical and functional city.

Mants
Legendary Member!

#43 Post by Mants » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:14 pm

why on earth are people trying to drag perth down?

we should commend them as a neighboring Australian city for the initiative and vision they are showing with this project.

imo, no recently built Adelaide buildings are particularly unique. they look cheap and nasty (flinders link, city central, etc). i believe that we can look at perth and other neighbouring cities to try and come up with our own vision. as it stands, adelaide has no real vision and no large scale planning; only willy-nilly projects which do not link in with each other. this must change.

Mawen
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#44 Post by Mawen » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:31 pm

Mants wrote:why on earth are people trying to drag perth down?

we should commend them as a neighboring Australian city for the initiative and vision they are showing with this project.

imo, no recently built Adelaide buildings are particularly unique. they look cheap and nasty (flinders link, city central, etc). i believe that we can look at perth and other neighbouring cities to try and come up with our own vision. as it stands, adelaide has no real vision and no large scale planning; only willy-nilly projects which do not link in with each other. this must change.
AGREE!

I do not beileve in flight but fight, which is the only reason why my one-way ticket for Perth has not been booked.
Work It

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#45 Post by crawf » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:48 pm

AG wrote:Would anyone believe me if I said that the little sleepy hollow of Rockhampton in QLD (population: 62000) is about to get a 100m tall apartment building, almost as tall as anything currently planned in Adelaide? There's a lot of places building the odd tall apartment block here and there (Darwin included), but they still aren't growing as quickly as Adelaide, which still prefers to stick to the fatsos of buildings.
Its been axed, same with that 200m building in Darwin
Mants wrote:why on earth are people trying to drag perth down?

You know there is a high chance of it being dumbed down (both Adelaide and Perth are very similar when it comes to that).

And to say Adelaide has no real vision is just ridiculous as you saying we are in trouble of being overtaken by a city with just 100,000 people! (Darwin). What about Holdfast Shores?, City Central? (we still haven't seen the exact plans yet), The Precinct?, 20-22 Currie St, Tramline extension?, plans for 10-20,000 new homes in the city etc...
Last edited by crawf on Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.