Perth's Waterfront Redevelopment

Discussion on developments interstate and overseas.
Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Perth's Waterfront Redevelopment

#16 Post by Will » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:49 pm

This is an amazing vision. This is truly world class. It reminds me a lot of the stuff they are doing over in places like Dubai.

I think we should applaud Perth for having such a vision and having the positivity to propose something like this.

To be honest I'm jealous.

It just reminds us of the negative, regressive mentallity that we have here in Adelaide. This project should inspire and shame us into action. Whilst other Australian cities are building world class projects such as this, we are still debating how to fix Victoria Square :wank:

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#17 Post by AG » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:52 pm

Pistol78 wrote:Man those blokes in Perth must be laughing at us...
They wouldn't be laughing at us. They're too busy thinking about how to improve their city and taking action to be doing that.

frank1
Donating Member
Donating Member

#18 Post by frank1 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:34 am

The more i look at these photos, the more pissed off i get with the mentality of Adelaide. :evil:

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#19 Post by crawf » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:41 am

It looks outstanding, but the question is will it all get built or be dumbed down - its look to pie in the sky.

Perths track record, isn't much better than Adelaides. Though the difference is that they are awash with cash atm, hopefully we will be in a few years time...

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#20 Post by Omicron » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:04 am

Of course, the more that Perth booms from mining exploration, the less chance we have of dramatic, profitable expansion on such a scale. As long as BHP seeks to invest in a new tower for Perth; as long as Andrew Forrest, Gina Rinehart, Kerry Stokes, Stan Perron, Len Buckeridge, Ralph Sarich, John Roberts et. al. remain as remarkably wealthy as they are, and their companies continue to expand as rapidly as they have of late, South Australia and Adelaide will simply not be able to support financially such impressive developments as these proposed in central Perth.

Essentially, the lack of a comparative, feasible proposal from South Australia is less to do wtih a lack of vision, IMO, but more to do with the lack of substantial corporate investment found elsewhere. We need the corporate dollars flowing towards South Australian investment (and the subsequent rise in taxation revenue, employee wages, employee numbers, investor confidence etc.) before we can lament the lost opportunities of substantial residential or commercial development in Adelaide. If Western Australia's mines are booming more readily and recently than ours, why invest here? If money is to be made now in the West rather than later in the South, why wait and seek investment in Adelaide? These are challenges that the ACC and the State Government must overcome if we are to draw sufficient investment to allow our potential to flourish. Yes, as we can all see, a SA mining boom is imminent, but we have neither the commercial headquarters of Western Australia nor the promising-investment status of the eastern states.

This development needs to be seen in the context of these factors before Adelaide is too harshly judged.

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#21 Post by omada » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:57 am

Dubai anyone?

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#22 Post by Cruise » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:58 pm

This looks great but Perth will never have classic old buildings like we have.

Hippodamus
High Rise Poster!

#23 Post by Hippodamus » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:33 pm

please, pass me a bucket..

while i acknowledge perth's efforts of proposing something that certainly get's a lot of 'wow' from its development focussed audience, is anyone actually questioning this developments street presence, urban design appeal, public realm, connectivity to the surrounding urban fabric, parking and pedestrian friendliness. i can see another melbourne docklands proposal here, were we see a futurisitc style waterfront proposal, however; with little appeal for the pedestrian using the facility which can be quite a sterile environment to walk in.

furthermore, does this scream anything different to anyone apart from being something totally not like something that would be proposed in Adelaide??? Just come to Dubai my friends and this is just another development in some suburb.. nationally this may be impressive, but on an international scale it ranks close to zero.

it's going to take more than glossy perspective visuals to convince me, and i'm not a nimby nor an anti-development, tree-hugging, victoria stand humping wan##r either...

neeeexxxttt....!!!

wilkiebarkid
Donating Member
Donating Member

#24 Post by wilkiebarkid » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:07 pm

Adelaide's skyline will remain an embarassment whilst the current ACC continues to impose ridiculous height restrictions within the terraces. In Darwin (120,000 people) they are currently finishing off a 29 story and a 33 story building. They have a $1.5bn skyline happening including a 4 tower development on The Esplanade up to 23 stories. They are spending big bucks on their own waterfront precinct. There has also been plans lodged for a landmark, gateway twin tower project up to 50 stories linked like the Petronis Towers in Malaysia. Meanwhile we continue to build 8 - 10 story buildings with little or no real impact on the skyline.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#25 Post by Wayno » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:17 pm

I browsed the reader comments on the PerthNow news.com.au website. Many see this proposal as Premier Carpenter blowing his own horn, and heaps think it should not be built. Many are excited about it, and more are concerned about the potentially sterile environment it will create at the street level...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

ozisnowman
High Rise Poster!

#26 Post by ozisnowman » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:02 am

Yes what a wonderful plan and for a bargain basement price of only $300 million...

If they think $300 million is enough to build all that they need a quick dip in the
Swan river to clean up all that sand stuck between their ears....

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#27 Post by omada » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:14 am

wilkie said
Adelaide's skyline will remain an embarassment whilst the current ACC continues to impose ridiculous height restrictions within the terraces. In Darwin (120,000 people) they are currently finishing off a 29 story and a 33 story building. They have a $1.5bn skyline happening including a 4 tower development on The Esplanade up to 23 stories. They are spending big bucks on their own waterfront precinct. There has also been plans lodged for a landmark, gateway twin tower project up to 50 stories linked like the Petronis Towers in Malaysia. Meanwhile we continue to build 8 - 10 story buildings with little or no real impact on the skyline.
well said mate, i honestly don't know what the deal is with the plethora proposals of sub 20 level buildings in Adelaide ... i know its simplistic, but isn't it inspiring and exciting to enter a city full of massive skyscrapers...

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#28 Post by Brando » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:07 pm

ozisnowman wrote:Yes what a wonderful plan and for a bargain basement price of only $300 million...

If they think $300 million is enough to build all that they need a quick dip in the
Swan river to clean up all that sand stuck between their ears....
$300 million is only for stage one of the development.

This proposal is great and a true genuine vision for the state. Someone mentioned it would not rank well on a international scale. Well, so be it. I beg to differ, it very much has a Dubai and Vegas look about it - just a couple of the biggest and happening cities in the world.
Well done Perth, as Will said i'm also jealous.
I really don't understand what goes through the mind of the likes of Harbo and Rann. When we see such blod and inspired visions elsewhere it gets so frustrating. Open your damn eyes.
Harbo you were last on this site 29/01/08, please look some of these photo's and pass them around council and government, make your people accountable and lift their game. When we have Cr Sandy Wilkinson's so called vision for the Le Cornu site and your laughable attempt for Vic Square makes me realise that we have a blind pilot leading the charge- there is no vision in ACC or Rann's office.

Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

#29 Post by Tyler_Durden » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:49 pm

Hippodamus wrote:please, pass me a bucket..

while i acknowledge perth's efforts of proposing something that certainly get's a lot of 'wow' from its development focussed audience, is anyone actually questioning this developments street presence, urban design appeal, public realm, connectivity to the surrounding urban fabric, parking and pedestrian friendliness. i can see another melbourne docklands proposal here, were we see a futurisitc style waterfront proposal, however; with little appeal for the pedestrian using the facility which can be quite a sterile environment to walk in.
I tend to agree.

Don't get me wrong, it does look impressive at distance but it reminds me of Singapore. You can't create a truly great city atmosphere with developments like this. They just end up feeling sterile. I know Melbourne's Docklands is nowhere near finished but you can already see how bland the area will be, compared to the vibrant, exciting, surprise around every corner atmosphere that Melbourne City exudes.

I won't deny there's a touch of jealousy in me when I see this proposal though as it will look striking from a distance.

Mawen
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#30 Post by Mawen » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:52 pm

frank1 wrote:God i wish Adelaide had the willpower and attitude to do some serious planning like this. Well done Perth

I think your words sum up how i am finally. Let me be the first to say, that this design not only evokes innovation but creativity - two words which are often left on the editing floor at the Adelaide City Council Development Committee.

I think the design is quite unique, strong and will bring such oomph to the city. I am visiting Perth in May, I love it that much. I would not live there, because Adelaide is my home - but I think the city has such a great spark! I hope that this render comes to fruition because it will defintealy make the Eastern States 'take notice'..

But, back in the middle - where does this leave Adelaide?

I can not on the life of me understand why Adelaide's skyline is not booming with exotic and signature ideas such as these. I am not going to say that Adelaide is backwards, it is a cliché now. How can we say Adelaide is backwards with all the development that is going on and being proposed? Adelaide, just needs a kick like this too the 'majestic skyline'. But, I will say this with another motive too. I think that Adelaide needs something more than just unique buildings lacing the skyline - it needs practical solutions. For example, let’s make something of the Victoria Square space. This has huge potential for development - i have said it before and i will reiterate it, Victoria Square will make a great place for a signature Adelaide Building to house an;

• Outdoor Theatre with mega screen.
• Discovery Centre - in which you can discover all that SA has to offer in one interactive centre. Take for example the idea of the Antarctic Centre in our Sister City Christchurch. We could have a desert expedition in which you walk into it and feel the extremes of weather from the heat of the day to the freezing nights - to show us and visitors the harsh environment of SA terrain. This idea plus others on the premise of them being interactive would make for an interesting Discovery Centre.
• Public Works of Art such as; Giant Man-Made Trees - call it the Garden of thought... (this is as creative as I get). But imagine it!

Perth, has done something that Adelaide irks for and that is innovation and thinking outside the square. I am hoping for this too become a reality and when it does i will fly my white ass over to Perth for the opening!!

Congrats.
Work It