The National Capital

Discussion on developments interstate and overseas.
AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

The National Capital

#1 Post by AtD » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:08 pm

frank1 wrote:AtD, you live in Canberra right? What's the building industry like there. Do they have same problem with height restrictions like Adelaide. Does the CBD have tall buildings (never been to Canberra).
The photos you post give me the impression that the city is really modern..........fill me in plz :oops: l
"Modern" is not a term I'd use for this city...

Building controls here border on nazi-like, because of the "planned" vision the Territory has. The problem is, it's not a very good plan because there's acres of "parks" that make Adelaide Parklands look like New York's Central Park in terms of utilisation. The parks mean the suburbs are kilometers apart, and you'll be driving between the main centres and pass cow farms and such.

Because of the chronic land shortage, a lot of apartment blocks and sub-divisions have been created with corners cut to meet the massive demand. Most of the city's buildings are from mid to late 20th century, mid-rise office blocks with horrid street frontages. There's the odd high rise but nothing worth writing home about. Naturally there's only one industry here: public servants.

My biggest gripe is Canberra is designed as a city for several million people. However, it only has 300,000 (plus 50,000 in Queanbyean in NSW), so the place feels very empty sometimes. There's a six lane highway near me that is almost empty, even in peak.

Here's a nice chunk of photospam I took yesterday while having a wonder in the in January. The city dies in summer, all the public servants bugger off. It's a bit more lively now as Uni is back.

(I've copy-pasta'd this from an old thread of my own on SSC)

New works on University Ave, from the City West car park, with the omnipresent Telstra Tower in the background.

Looking south from City West car park.

And north east.

Bustling city streets at 3pm on a Tuesday.

CONCRETE! Canberra's favourite food.

New UniLodge for the ANU. I don't understand why they bothered with the fancy street-scape, there's nothing else on the street. It's rather harsh looking from the ground, as well.

I assume this is more student accommodation. Childers Street.

One of my biggest gripes over Civic is the abundance of surface level car parks. Seems like a poor use of land, IMO.

Another gripe is the street frontages of most buildings.

Some apartments on Northborne Ave.

Some new offices near Bunda Street.

These offices give us another fantastic street frontage on Cooyong Street, if memory serves. This isn't some back ally, this is an arterial road!

The ACT likes to paint words on the road for no apparent reason, just to make sure you don't try to turn left from the right lane. It might just be because I'm from SA, but I don't understand the purpose.

The Monolithic Canberra Centre shopping mall (left, right AND centre), which seems to have decimated the outdoor mall nearby. It takes up a fair chunk the CBD, and has the only food courts I have been able to find.

Artwork outside the Legislative Assembly and Canberra Centre.

The ACT government is more a local council than anything. Canberra only has two tiers of government: Federal and Territory.

London Circuit is the 'inner ring' of the CBD. Inside it is mostly car park. Vernon Circuit, the centre ring, is totally lifeless with nothing but grass and car park.

A few more street-scapes.

A new apartment complex on Marcus Clarke Street, reminds me of a design in SimCity 4.

New office block next door, glass! Excuse me while I indulge myself.

Down the bottom of Marcus Clarke Street.

Parkes Way reminds us all that this city was designed by an American.

Traffic at 5.05pm on a Tuesday. I kid you not.

ynotsfables
High Rise Poster!

Re: The National Capital

#2 Post by ynotsfables » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:23 pm

What a magnificent looking city, like Adelaide Canberra is a designer city nimbyism would be ripe there.

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3 Post by Omicron » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:07 am

It's so depressing! The streetscapes are just awful, and the apartment buildings really do look frightfully cheap. It's a shame, because from above Canberra looks wonderful with its location on a large lake and surrounded by hills.

One of the external entrances to the old Monaro Mall was always one of my favourite shopping centre views - it appears to have been retained in the new Canberra Centre, if this picture from David Jones' website is anything to go by:

There's another view of it in my Heart of the Lion: 50 Year History of Australia's Holden book with an EH Premier sitting out the front. Retro '60s shopping centres at their finest!

[/strange obsession]

frank1
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4 Post by frank1 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:22 am

Cheers for the pictures AtD. 8) I must get over there one of these days :oops: Canberra looks very neat and organized like Adelaide (i guess you would expect that for a government city :D ). :lol: about the traffic. There is a few buildings in those pictures i like. The grey building on the left with the curve shape is nice.
AtD wrote:Image

I like how Canberra seems to have alot of curved buildings.This one is also nice.
AtD wrote:New office block next door, glass! Excuse me while I indulge myself.Image

Is Canberra going through a sort of 'building boom' ? I see from those pictures theres a few cranes around

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#5 Post by AtD » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:43 am

Canberra has a lot of curvy buildings because it has a lot of curvy streets. There is a reasonable amount of construction going on around the place, but I wouldn't call it a boom. As I said, Canberra really only has one industry, so when the bureaucracy grows, so does office demand. :D

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#6 Post by Edgar » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:22 am

Thanks for sharing Adam.

Can I just say that after looking at the photos, I do want to criticise the city planning in Canberra. What a disgrace.

They could have easily build the CBD wrapping around the lake, build a landmark structure or building or perhaps a convention centre at Lawson Crescent, over looking the city.

The geographical layout of Canberra looks almost like Sydney :) ;

e.g. Sydney Opera house, Harbour Bridge and the CBD, and compare that to Canberra, they could build something similar with the Lawson Crescent, Commonwealth Ave, and high rise would have potentially be build along where Parkes Way is.
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#7 Post by Will » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:56 am

Thanks for the photos Adam.

Canberra is a very nice city to visit, but the problem I found is that the 300 000 strong population is diluted into multiple CBDs around the suburbs (Woden, Belconnen....). This is a problem as it makes the city appear eerily quiet, even during the day.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#8 Post by AtD » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:43 pm

Edgar wrote:Thanks for sharing Adam.

Can I just say that after looking at the photos, I do want to criticise the city planning in Canberra. What a disgrace.

They could have easily build the CBD wrapping around the lake, build a landmark structure or building or perhaps a convention centre at Lawson Crescent, over looking the city.

The geographical layout of Canberra looks almost like Sydney :) ;

e.g. Sydney Opera house, Harbour Bridge and the CBD, and compare that to Canberra, they could build something similar with the Lawson Crescent, Commonwealth Ave, and high rise would have potentially be build along where Parkes Way is.
Very valid point. There's a nice wide lake with acres of waterfront land, and they've built a freeway along it.

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#9 Post by Pistol » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:50 pm

My sister lives in Canberra so I have visited there a lot...

One of my gripes is where are all the people?
Even in the mall that has now become obsolete there were no people walking around even at lunch time.

It is an interesting city to visit mainly because of the purposeful design of it - however to live there... well I hope it is a good job you got Adam.
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken