Tokyo's Yamanote Line

Discussion on developments interstate and overseas.
AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Tokyo's Yamanote Line

#1 Post by AG » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:03 am

For those who think they've seen crowded tracks and stations in Australia should think again.

The Yamanote Line is a major rail line that forms a 35km loop around central Tokyo, linking most of the largest cities in the central Tokyo area including Shinjuku, Shibuya, Shinagawa, Marunouchi (Tokyo), Ueno and Ikebukuro. There are 29 stations on the line, and a single journey around the loop takes approximately 1 hour. It carries over 3.5 million passengers a day on average, making it the world's busiest train line by passenger numbers. It also passes through the world's busiest train station (by passenger numbers), Shinjuku, which sees over 3 million passengers pass through it's turnstiles every day.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

Re: Tokyo's Yamanote Line

#2 Post by muzzamo » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:49 am

i really enjoyed both of those - thanks :-)

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3 Post by Wayno » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:04 am

I travel on the OEDO line when i'm in Tokyo for work. The first time I used it i cursed because i missed the train by 3seconds, luckily another turned up 2minutes later! :lol:
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

sam
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4 Post by sam » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:27 pm

very interesting to watch!

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#5 Post by AtD » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:22 pm

I'm suprised they haven't sold air rights to the line.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by AG » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:48 pm

AtD wrote:I'm suprised they haven't sold air rights to the line.
It's part of a privatised, previously government owned rail system called JR (or JR East to make it more specific). At a few stations, JR has actually developed property above it's train stations. I believe they have constructed shopping complexes at their stations at Shinjuku and Shibuya. JR makes a fair bit of it's earnings from property development, as do several other major railway companies in Tokyo who also have department stores - the Odakyu and Keio both have department stores above their train stations at Shinjuku.