World's next tallest tower in Dubai revealed

Discussion on developments interstate and overseas.
rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1 Post by rogue » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:43 pm

October 06, 2008 02:29pm

- Dubai developers unveil plans for 1km-high tower
- Foundation work "begun" on decade-long project
- 150 elevators, more than 200 floors

DEVELOPERS in Dubai have announced plans to build a tower 1km high - beating the booming city state's own world record.

With the world's tallest building, the Burj Dubai, nearing completion, Dubai World president Sultan Ahmed bin Sulaim said the new tower would be "one of a kind".

The tower, which will take more than a decade to complete, will be the centerpiece of a sprawling development state-owned builder Nakheel plans to create in the rapidly growing "New Dubai" section of the city.

Foundation work has already begun on the tower, Nakheel Chief Executive Chris O'Donnell told FoxNews.

The tower will be located between two of the city's artificial palm-shaped islands, which Nakheel also built.

The project will include a manmade inland harbor and 40 additional towers up to 90 floors high.

About 150 elevators will carry employees and workers to the Nakheel Tower's more than 200 floors, the company said.

The building will be composed of four separate towers joined at various levels and centered on an open atrium.

"It does show a lot of confidence in this environment of worldwide credit problems and a souring global economy," Standard Chartered Bank's Dubai-based regional head of research Marios Maratheftis said.

Dubai is already home to the world's tallest building, even if it remains unfinished.

The Burj Dubai, or Dubai Tower in Arabic, is being built by Nakheel's chief competitor, Emaar Properties.

Emaar has kept the final height of the silvery steel-and-glass tower a closely guarded secret, saying only that it stood at a "new record height" of 688 metres at the start of last month.

It's due to be finished next September.

The final height of Nakheel's proposed tower is likewise a secret, as is the price tag. The company would only say it will be more than 1km tall - or the height of more than three of New York's Chrysler Buildings stacked end-to-end.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/story/0,2 ... 90,00.html

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: World's next tallest tower in Dubai revealed

#2 Post by Wayno » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:56 pm

ok, now that's just silly...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3 Post by AG » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:49 pm

Nakheel really wants to rub the title in the face of their rival Emaar. Nakheel has a whole lot of other world records in its hands already with those manmade islands (the three Palmns, The World, The Universe) and Dubai Waterfront, all massive projects in themselves.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#4 Post by Shuz » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:51 pm

I think we've reached the 'threshold' for skyscraper height surely, Burj Dubai is a behemoth as it is - truly marking its place as the mother of all towers, and now we have this proposal from Nakheel at 1km high. 1 kilometre! Thats taller than Mount Lofty!

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#5 Post by AG » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:59 pm

Shuz wrote:I think we've reached the 'threshold' for skyscraper height surely, Burj Dubai is a behemoth as it is - truly marking its place as the mother of all towers, and now we have this proposal from Nakheel at 1km high. 1 kilometre! Thats taller than Mount Lofty!
Interesting that this comment comes up so often, and it is understandable as well. We're only restricted by the technology we have (and economic fundamentals as well), and it's constantly improving as time goes by. It's only been 119 years since the world's first modern high-rise building was constructed and there's been improvements in materials such as steel and concrete, inventions such as elevators, cranes and formwork systems as well as a rapidly growing population and growing crowding issues in some parts of the world. The comment you make is the same comment many were making before skyscrapers that now seem more moderately sized (such as the Empire State Building) were constructed.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#6 Post by SRW » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:05 am

I'm still at a loss that this is all happening in the UAE. I do suspect that their confidence in their future is not entirely well founded...but, hey, let them at it. Hopefully these projects will spawn new technologies.
Keep Adelaide Weird

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#7 Post by rogue » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:23 pm

ReallyBad
High Rise Poster!

#8 Post by ReallyBad » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:51 pm

Oh my...
Studied Civil Engineering - graduated 1995 - now working in IT.

Düsseldorfer
High Rise Poster!

#9 Post by Düsseldorfer » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:25 pm

rogue wrote:The madness continues....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... built.html
yeah i think the guy running this project and the Burj Dubai are obviously very insecure about something :roll: :P

peas_and_corn
Legendary Member!

#10 Post by peas_and_corn » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:26 am

the pictures of this new tower just amaze me. I would love to go to the UAE, but only when I can afford it! :shock: