Sydney's answer to Northern Lights

Discussion on developments interstate and overseas.
Xaragmata
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Sydney's answer to Northern Lights

#1 Post by Xaragmata » Tue May 26, 2009 8:16 pm

See Sydney in a whole new light as spectacular designs are projected on landmarks

http://www.news.com.au/travel/gallery/0 ... 53,00.html

peachy
Gold-Member ;)

Re: Sydney's answer to Northern Lights

#2 Post by peachy » Tue May 26, 2009 10:15 pm

Looks good, nearly as good as the original Adelaide Northern Light :)

Sydney copying Adelaide, how the times are a changing and a good talking point to mention next time a Sydneysider talks down our town.

What's the reaction like over there? Just another drop in the ocean of things in Syd or are they raving without realising they are getting Adel hand-me-down ideas?

Queen Anne
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Sydney's answer to Northern Lights

#3 Post by Queen Anne » Thu May 28, 2009 5:04 am

I think that the Northern Lights were brought to us by Electric Canvas, which is a Sydney based production company. If I'm right about that, I guess we can say thank you to Sydney for Electric Canvas, and in turn we can be proud that Adelaide was the city to first showcase their awesome work in a big way.

Adelaide has a great nose for getting in on the ground level of these things. It all reminds me of Red Square - I seem to remember that it travelled to other states too. It's good to see that the Festival State is willing to be a nurturing ground for new ideas.

EDIT - I just did a little research on Electric Canvas. They've been around since 1997 and have done quite a lot of big stadium work. They did something for the Melbourne Commonwealth Games, apparently. It's interesting to me that I'd not heard of them before Northern Lights - I guess it just shows what an impressive, innovative show it truly was. Or maybe it just shows that I get around with my head in the sand :? Anyway, I still think Adelaide can be proud of getting behind Northern Lights, it was clearly ambitious.