Something we can Learn from Perth

Discussion on developments interstate and overseas.
Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

Something we can Learn from Perth

#1 Post by Will » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:47 am

I have recently purchased a book called "Tall Buildings: Australian Business Going Up" in which it details the growth of the high-rise building and how it helped transform Australia's cities into modern metropoles. The book primarily details the period 1945-1970 but it contains many examples from the pre-war period too. The book contains many photos of exemplary buildings, from throughout Australia. Included in the book as one of the most significant buildings of that period was the former Advertiser Building of 1959 which was demolished for CCT2 in 2006. This made me curious as to how many of these exemplary buildings from that period are still standing.

From my further research on googlemaps, I have discovered that Adelaide and Melbourne have been the best in preserving their exemplary buildings from the period. Sydney and Brisbane have done an adequate job, although many buildings have been demolished in Sydney. However a very dishonarble mention must go to Perth. None of their exemplary buildings have survived. They have all been demolished or been chnaged so much that they are no longer recognisable.

Observe, how much of their history those in WA have lost:

The MLC Building of 1958 which even though was heritage listed was stripped to its skeleton in 2001.

and transformed into this bland monstrosity...

http://www.onesteel.com/images/db_image ... t21ssp.pdf

The CML Building was demolished in 1980:

The 1962 T&G Building, which is regarded as one of the finest designs of the 60's was radically altered in 1993:

SGIO Building of 1957 was radically altered in the 90's:

Queensland Insurance Building of 1962, radically altered in the 1990s

What we can learn from the mistakes of Perth is to value exemplary architecture from ALL periods not just the stone buildings of the 1800's. The buildings I've listed are those which feature in the aforementioned book and were thus considered amongst the most exceptional examples of architecture in Australia from the period 1945-1970. I know such architecture is not loved by many, but I think that if a building is considered an exemplary example of its style by experts it deserves some kind of protection. If not, and we allow such buildings to be destroyed I fear that future generations will condemn us in the same manner we condemn those who destroyed buildings such as the Exhibition Building on North Terrace.

For example, here in Adelaide, exemplary buildings from that period which do not have heritage prtection include the napier Building of 1959, the Savings Bank of SA building on Hindley Street of 1959, the City Mutual Life Building of 1957, the Zurich Insurance Building of 1962 the State Administration Centre of 1968 and the AMP Building of 1968.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Something we can Learn from Perth

#2 Post by Wayno » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:45 am

available from all good bookstores?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3 Post by Will » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:41 am

Wayno wrote:available from all good bookstores?
I doubt it. I remember seeing the book at the gift-shop of the City of Sydney Museum, however the price was inhibitory, and so I left it at that. Then in late November I was having an unrelated discussion whereby someone mentioned that you can get books at ridiculously low prices over the internet, and hence I recalled this book, and decided to look for it over the internet, and to my luck, I was able to get it for $19! at Abebooks.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4 Post by Will » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:47 am

Just to clarify, Perth has not destroyed all of their exemplary high-rise buildings from the period. One has survived.

The amazing Council House, which is regarded as one of the best examples of the purity of modernism. However they did try to demolish it earlier this decade, however it managed to survive!

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#5 Post by mattblack » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:10 pm

Will wrote:
Wayno wrote:available from all good bookstores?
I was able to get it for $19! at Abebooks.
Also try book depository, Usually cheaper than ABE books :)

Splashmo
High Rise Poster!

#6 Post by Splashmo » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:09 am

Will wrote:Just to clarify, Perth has not destroyed all of their exemplary high-rise buildings from the period. One has survived.

The amazing Council House, which is regarded as one of the best examples of the purity of modernism. However they did try to demolish it earlier this decade, however it managed to survive!
Ah yes. I walked past that building several times on a trip earlier this year and I thought it was brand new!

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#7 Post by Omicron » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:17 pm

Well said, Will. Many of the buildings from the 1945-1970 era have a wonderful purity of line and proportion that is missing from modern imitations.

oscar13
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#8 Post by oscar13 » Sat May 01, 2010 11:21 pm

Will wrote:Just to clarify, Perth has not destroyed all of their exemplary high-rise buildings from the period. One has survived.

And they've also "turned the lights on" the building..
It looks ok...

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#9 Post by SRW » Sun May 02, 2010 4:58 pm

oscar13 wrote:Image
Am I wrong to think that something like that would look fantastic on the MCL Building in Victoria Square?
Keep Adelaide Weird

oscar13
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#10 Post by oscar13 » Sun May 02, 2010 5:51 pm

SRW wrote:Am I wrong to think that something like that would look fantastic on the MCL Building in Victoria Square?
I actually live in Perth and it looks much better than in the picture...
Here is another story about it, and a few other pics as well...
http://www.viccreations.com.au/2010/04/ ... e-evening/

yousername
High Rise Poster!

#11 Post by yousername » Sun May 02, 2010 5:55 pm

SRW wrote:Am I wrong to think that something like that would look fantastic on the MCL Building in Victoria Square?
It would look great - actually putting things like that on all (modern) buildings of Victoria Square would look awesome.
Will wrote:Victorians can get f#$%^&*!

iTouch
Legendary Member!

#12 Post by iTouch » Wed May 05, 2010 12:47 am

I'm not a big fan of Perth at all but that LED lighted building looks brilliant
Don't burn the Adelaide Parkland (preservation society)

vik_man
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#13 Post by vik_man » Tue May 11, 2010 10:38 pm

yeah the shots of the building lit up with silhouette of the palm tree in front are fantastic

very glamorous