APP: 111+222 | Brisbane | 274m | 90Lvls

Discussion on developments interstate and overseas.
Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

APP: 111+222 | Brisbane | 274m | 90Lvls

#1 Post by Ben » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:28 am

Tallest tower set for Brisbane's CBD

Michelle Hele From: The Courier-Mail May 19, 2011

RISING HIGHER: An artist's impression of the proposed two-tower development spanning 111 Mary St and 222 Margaret St, in Brisbane's CBD. Source: The Courier-Mail

THE site of the failed Vision Tower in the Brisbane CBD has been earmarked for what is being touted as Brisbane's tallest building.

The new owners of the property, which spans between 111 Mary St and 222 Margaret St, have lodged a development application with the Brisbane City Council for a 90-storey or 297m-tall development.

It proposes two towers for the site featuring a five-star premium hotel, commercial and residential development. The project will be known as 111+222.

The property has sat vacant since Vision went into receivership and was sold for about $40 million last year.

Excavation works had finished some years ago but the seven-level hole filled with water in January's floods.

Developers John Kinsella's Billbergia Group and AMP Capital Investors hope first- stage work will start this year.

Billbergia spokesman Rick Graf said the development would consist of two towers - one 90 storeys and the other 34 storeys.

The two towers have been designed by Bates Smart Architects and the project is expected to take about five years to complete.

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: PRO: 111+222 | Brisbane | 297m | 90Lvls

#2 Post by [Shuz] » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:32 am

Amazing stuff for Brisbane, but I cannot understand why they would stop 300mm short of taking the title of Australia's tallest building to roof!
Eureka Tower in Melbourne's Southbank is 297.3m tall. :P
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Thanial
Gold-Member ;)

#3 Post by Thanial » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:22 pm

[Shuz] wrote:Amazing stuff for Brisbane, but I cannot understand why they would stop 300mm short of taking the title of Australia's tallest building to roof!
Eureka Tower in Melbourne's Southbank is 297.3m tall. :P
i've been following this project since May and I keep thinking the same thing :lol:

Omicron

#4 Post by Omicron » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:04 pm

My goodness, Brisbane is building up at such a rate! Assuming that this goes ahead, I like very much that those 297 metres are to roof, so all confusion about height can be avoided. The kerfuffle about including spires but not antennae, but sometimes not spires with antennae attached or spires that aren't fat or 'integrated' enough which aren't antennae but also aren't spires so must be cookies, and sometimes antennae if they have frilly bits and neon flying ducks somewhat bothers me.

Splashmo
High Rise Poster!

#5 Post by Splashmo » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:03 pm

This is in a good location too... there's not as much going on at this end of the CBD and it'll look nice from South Bank.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by Ben » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:00 am

We could only dream :)
Council to approve 90-storey Brisbane skyscraper
By Andree Withey
Updated November 08, 2011 08:57:51

The Brisbane City Council is today expected to approve a plan for one of Queensland's tallest buildings.

Lord Mayor Graham Quirk says the developer Billbergia plans to build a 90-storey hotel and residential building and a 34-storey commercial complex.

The new high-rise will include a 380-room, five-star hotel and 800 apartments with 1,000 car parks.

It is expected to generate 800 construction jobs and a further 650 local jobs, once completed.

Councillor Quirk says it is another major step in the city's economic recovery after the global financial crisis and the devastating January floods.

Mr Quirk says it will be built on a failed development site between Mary and Margaret Streets in the Brisbane CBD.

"This site during the flood took in the water from other residential properties around it, so it became a collector of water and the water is gradually being drained in preparation for the construction of this new building," he said.

"They are very keen to get on with this new development, so as soon as this site is completely drained it will be onwards and upwards."

And something we can relate to all beit on a much greater scale.

Take-offs keep Brisbane grounded
Tony Moore
November 9, 2011

Brisbane looks likely to have reached its pinnacle after yesterday's announcement of a 90-storey building on Margaret Street that, on completion, will probably remain the city's tallest.

Unless guidelines by Airservices Australia and the Civil Aviation Safety Authority change, the 274-metre 111+222 development is the highest a building can be built in Brisbane's central business district.

The restriction is not due to fears that an aircraft would physically strike the building, but rather that tall buildings could cause radar signal reflection, an Airservices spokesman said last night.

The spokesman for Airservices Australia, the agency responsible for air traffic control, said radar signal reflections and interference with summer take-off and landing flight paths into the wind were the two main issues confronting development in the CBD.

"Anything above that height interferes with the radar signals and also could conceivably cause problems for flight paths into Brisbane Airport," he said.

"Essentially it is a safety issue and CASA being the safety authority has very strict height limits that have to be met around flight path areas."

The Airservices spokesman said there was very restricted flexibility around Brisbane's CBD and said there was very limited ability to alter flight paths.

He said he doubted developers Billbergia, which yesterday won approval to build two towers on the Vision site, would be successful in its bid to increase the building's height to 297 metres.

"There would have to be an environmental impact assessment prepared and a report on the impact on the airport's operations," the spokesman said.

"At this point I would say 'no'. I think the initial Vision project was rejected because it was too high and 274 metres is the limit and it is really not negotiable."

The Airservices spokesman taller buildings could conceivably be built outside Brisbane's CBD.

"Certainly, [the Billbergia development] will be the highest in the CBD area, but it could be possible for instance for one to be built in area that is not subject to any flight path restrictions or radar restrictions," he said.

"Say Cleveland, or something like that."

Any application in Brisbane that could conceivably cause problems for Brisbane Airport is referred to Brisbane Airport Corporation.

BAC asks both Airservices Australia and CASA for a ruling.

brisbanetimes.com.au understands the BAC lodged a formal objection to the original 297 metre height proposed by the Vision Tower project on the same site.

BAC objected to most CBD buildings proposed that were over 250 metres, according to planning consultants John Morwood and Jenevere Lake.

In their 2008 paper Sharing the Space - Aircrafts and Tall Buildings in Brisbane's CBD, they pointed out BAC's concerns.

"The Brisbane Airport Corporation and other airspace agencies responsible for the safe and efficient operation of airports and airspace are reluctant to support tall buildings that exceed the current height of established development in Brisbane's City Centre – at approximately 250 metres," they wrote.

However they point out there "is no document publicly available that explains why development beyond 250 metres AHD (Australian Height Datum) poses a problem to aircraft operations."

The Airservices spokesman said there was no "height limit", but that individual applications are assessed on their merit.

"Each individual one is looked at as an individual case on its location and where the flight path is," he said.

A spokesman for CASA said they worked out an "obstacle limitation surface" for each airport for every structure of a height of 120 metres or more.

An assessment is required of any structure over that height to work out the ultimate height.

"That is a point in the air where you don't want any obstacles going above that because you are going into the air space that the aircraft are going to be using," he said.

"I don't know exactly what it would be above Brisbane, but certainly it would cover the Brisbane CBD, that's for sure."

Lord Mayor Graham Quirk said the impact of flight paths affecting the height of buildings in Brisbane's CBD should be debated.

“I think that is a debate that we need to have into the future because it would seem to be a little silly to me to have a height restriction based on flight paths,” he said.

Brisbane's top five tallest buildings - roof height

1.111+222, Margaret Street: 274 metres, 90 storeys (approved)
2.Infinity Tower, Herschel Street: 247 metres, 76 storeys (under construction)
3.Soleil, Adelaide Street: 243 metres; 74 storeys (under construction)
4.Aurora, Queen Street: 207 metres; 69 storeys (completed)
5.Riparian Plaza, Eagle Street: 200.3 metres (250 metres with communications spire); 55 storeys (completed)

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/busines ... z1dFnks469
Not the best looking building...

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: APP: 111+222 | Brisbane | 274m | 90Lvls

#7 Post by crawf » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:37 pm

I personally like it, from that angle it looks like a modern version of the Rialto Towers in Melbourne.

#jealous :(

Omicron

#8 Post by Omicron » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:05 pm

The most pertinent quote of the whole article:
However they point out there "is no document publicly available that explains why development beyond 250 metres AHD (Australian Height Datum) poses a problem to aircraft operations."
I've never heard of such clumsy, insular technology - radar that apparently cannot deal with tall buildings? What nonsense. I guess planes flying into La Guardia must disappear out of the sky on a regular basis given Manhattan is, what, 7km away as the crow flies? OH WAIT LOL ONLY AUSTRALIAN BUILDINGS ABOVE 250 METRES AND NOT A CENTIMETRE MORE REFLECT RADARS HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA STUPID OMI.

HOW IS THIS PLANE STILL FLYING?