F1 to Adelaide

All event related discussion should go here.. e.g. Clipsal 500, Womadelaide, SALA, etc.
ferraritifosi27
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: F1 to Adelaide

#46 Post by ferraritifosi27 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:12 pm

This is the Official Facebook Page!:

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#!/ ... 3488174469

Twitter is: @F1toAdelaide

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#47 Post by Phantom » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:38 am

I know I'm bumping a post that's been dead for an Olympiad, but an email from Jean Todt about F1 returning to Adelaide is probably the most ridiculous thing I've ever read on this forum.

Of all the things that didn't happen, this didn't happen the most.

Fuck me, why do people find it necessary to claim that total bullshit stories that clearly are way too far-fetched happen to them?

Aaaaaaaanyway, I'm hijacking this joke of a thread to start talking about the Adelaide Motorsport Festival. Did anyone go along to it? How did it feel in comparison to the races back several decades ago? What's everyone's take on the old F1 track being destroyed around Banana Bend to make way for the O-Bahn underpass? Should the lay-out of the track have been heritage listed? To those in the know, did anything special occur for Adelaide to be the championship decider for 11 seasons, or was that just like that because of when we have our summer time?

Sorry, I'm just full of questions today, it seems!
"Mono, you're a knob. <3"

claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#48 Post by claybro » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:50 pm

Phantom wrote: To those in the know, did anything special occur for Adelaide to be the championship decider for 11 seasons, or was that just like that because of when we have our summer time?
From my recollection of those heady days in the 80's, Adelaide got the last race of the season only because it was an extra race "tacked on" to the original international circuit. That is was the championship decider was only by default and in fact from memory, the "championship" being a cumulative points system was already decided on many most prior to the Adelaide event. When it became apparent that Spring weather in Adelaide can be pretty diabolical, I do recall the State government of the time saying they had originally asked for March, but were knocked back by the F1 folk. Low and behold, when Melbourne stole the race, they got the slot Adelaide had originally asked for (march). As for heritage listing or restoration of the original track, maybe just a plaque on that corner would suffice. -Not sure something that ran for 11 years really counts as heritage, despite the profound impact the race had on Adelaide at the time. As for the F1 returning to Adelaide....I say good riddance. It has become a ridiculously expensive circus, and I doubt anyone outside F1 enthusiasts care in which city internationally the races are held, and I really cant see how Melbourne get a return on the 10's of millions spent on licencing alone. The spread of events Adelaide has been able to replace the F1 event with are more interesting, and more in keeping with a boutique city like Adelaide.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#49 Post by rev » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:28 pm

The future of motoring is electric anyway, whether we(I) like it or not. There already is an electric equivalent for Formula 1, it's called Formula E.
It's been discussed before, and I've raised it before. If we are to get an international motoring event, that should be the one. It fits in with this states push to be as green, or carbon neutral, as possible.
Although ideally, with the new Tailem bend track, we are getting a second supercar event(hopefully we do not lose the 500 or it's not moved out there but maintained in the parklands), if we can snag an international motorbike event as well, and bring the Formula E here, and with Tailem bend allowing us to hopefully be part of the drift and drag national events/series calender's, then we can stake our claim as the motorsport capital of Australia.
Some people may not care about motorsports. But it's a widely popular broader series of categories across the globe, and if done properly can draw a lot of tourists to Adelaide. There's 12 months of the year, lets start using them instead of cramming every fucking event we can think of within a couple short months. Low and behold there's a new event, Adelaide Festival of Lights, in April.

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#50 Post by mshagg » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:54 am

Phantom wrote: Aaaaaaaanyway, I'm hijacking this joke of a thread to start talking about the Adelaide Motorsport Festival. Did anyone go along to it? How did it feel in comparison to the races back several decades ago?
I went along - amazing to see and hear those F1 cars back out on Wakefield St where they belong, with plenty of equally impressive machines participating in the time attack... and the conflation of the classic Adelaide stages with even more stunning cars.

The event itself definitely 'feels' young. The facilities were kinda haphazard and you're basically in the dark about what's happening out on track at any given time. I guess that's why it's tacked on to the classic Adelaide, an event itself which has had a rocky history in recent years. But that tended to confuse matters even further - for example the twilight stage of the classic Adelaide, at the track, was technically a different even to the motorsport festival, and I believe even ticketed separately. The whole thing was a bit confusing.

I understand they have big ambitions for the festival and I think they'll probably get there, given the caliber of entrants. Where else do you get to see a 599XX racing around an old F1 street circuit?

Very cool vid of the F1s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MW7uVQUva0

If only they still sounded like that!

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#51 Post by Phantom » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:57 pm

rev wrote:The future of motoring is electric anyway, whether we(I) like it or not. There already is an electric equivalent for Formula 1, it's called Formula E.
I dunno about Formula E. I think the pinnacle of motoring will always be with fossil fuels to an extent, be them gasoline or diesel.

Formula 1 and Le Mans both currently utilise hybrid systems. I feel like this is going to be the way it stays for a long time to come. I feel that Formula E will be another gimmick which will eventually die off, akin to the A1GP series or Superleague Formula.

I also feel as though Formula E won't have the prestige that Formula 1 has (or at least had, prior to Ecclestone and Mosley's changes). On a more personal note, I feel as though Hermann Tilke's track designs are the worst thing to happen to F1 in the last 3 decades. He neuters fantastic pre-existing tracks (Hockenheim's complex, Nurburgring's first corner, the final chicane at Catalunya, etc.) and the tracks he creates all contain the same features... A long straight, with a curve at the end that doubles back on itself, a final turn that immediately turns into the grid, large open areas which are very forgiving on drivers. The races that are the jewels in the crown are oddly also the ones he hasn't completely fucked yet - Monaco, Monza, Spa-Francorchamps, etc.

I just had to rant that last part out. Hahaha
"Mono, you're a knob. <3"

The Beagle
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#52 Post by The Beagle » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:23 pm

Totally agree on the Tilke rant. I'll give credit to him for the track in Turkey with the high speed triple apex curve but last I heard of that track it's now one big car dealership.

rev

#53 Post by rev » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:26 am

Push for Adelaide to host world leg of Formula E championships gathers pace
[

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/mo ... 5d7f990959

[/quote]

Told you all years ago Formula E should be brought to Adelaide, before most people had even heard of Formula E.

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#54 Post by HiTouch » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:15 am

rev wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:26 am
[

Told you all years ago Formula E should be brought to Adelaide, before most people had even heard of Formula E.
[/quote]

You're always right though rev.

Ho Really

#55 Post by Ho Really » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:06 pm

rev wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:26 am
[

rev you get the thumbs up from me. I covered many F1 GPs in Adelaide and the first three in Melbourne and also the defunct Le Mans race here in Adelaide. The Formula E is a great little series with up and coming drivers and interesting vehicles. A great event that will market Adelaide and SA. In particular through tourism and technology. We should all support this.

Cheers

P.S. Those that oppose car racing in general can only support this. Bugger all noise and no pollution!
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Llessur2002

#56 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:31 am

Killjoys.
Formula E race for Adelaide too expensive, says State Government

ADELAIDE’S chance to host an international electric car street race as early as next year has stalled with the State Government damning the event too expensive.

Whyalla steelworks saviour Sanjeev Gupta, tech entrepreneur Valdis Dunis, and the Australian Electric Vehicle Association were driving a bid to bring Formula E to Adelaide’s city circuit.

Independent Senator Tim Storer last month sought the support of Premier Steven Marshall.

But the Government has ruled it “not currently feasible” due to the level of investment and interest in the event.

“Should the situation change in the future such that it becomes viable from a cost/benefit perspective, the government will be happy to further investigate the opportunity,” Acting Premier Vickie Chapman wrote.

Senator Storer has since met with Formula E’s head of partnerships, David Warren, who suggested a $160,000 feasibility study — which could include an option to combine the Formula E with the Adelaide 500 — who has proposed sharing the cost between the city council and State Government.

An Adelaide City Council spokesman said council has also had discussions with Formula E and the State Government but had not made any commitment.

Senator Storer said he would now write to federal ministers to gain their support, and in a letter to state Tourism Minister David Ridgway this week encouraged him to accept the proposal.

“We should act quickly to cement Adelaide as a mainstay in the Asian-Pacific segment of the competition, before another city beats us,” he wrote.

“Formula E race cars are much quieter than their Formula One equivalents and do not produce any tailpipe emissions.

“The tourism and reputational benefits would be substantial, but just as important is the alignment with advanced manufacturing in SA and the development of electric vehicles.”
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sou ... 76f65d5088

rev

#57 Post by rev » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:53 am

Well naturally, they got rid of the F1, and are throwing $100,000 at SATourism to pull down the grand stand for the 500 two weeks quicker. Why would they get behind another motorsport event on the city street circuit? They don't want to upset their benefactors in the inner east now do they...think of the grannies...where will they walk their Shih Tzus... :roll:

The Scooter Guy

#58 Post by The Scooter Guy » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:19 pm

My new avatar represents today's politics leaving everything to be desired! :twisted:
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

Nathan

#59 Post by Nathan » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:50 pm

Funding is obviously a government thing, but ticket sales and organising the program (including the bands) would be entirely in the hands of event organisers, surely.

bits
Legendary Member!

#60 Post by bits » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:11 pm

They are waiting for imminent signing of new major sponsor I believe.
Event branding for ticket sales and promotion etc would be delayed. You will not be buying "Adelaide 500 tickets" and promo material for bands etc need correct brand from day 1 of promotion.
Funding cut is likely also related to new sponsor instead of SA gov money.