F1 to Adelaide

All event related discussion should go here.. e.g. Clipsal 500, Womadelaide, SALA, etc.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

Re: F1 to Adelaide

#31 Post by rev » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:38 pm

And that would be a problem why?
Is there insufficient lighting apparatuses available in Adelaide?

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#32 Post by Nathan » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:47 pm

There would be nothing in Adelaide remotely close to what would be required:
Power cables length: 108,423 metres
Light projectors used: 1600
Total power consumed: 3,180,000 watts
Illumination requirement: 3000 lux
Lighting 4x brighter than stadium lights

spiller
High Rise Poster!

#33 Post by spiller » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:23 pm

Rev, F1 race weekend always goes P1 and 2 friday, P3 and qauli sat and race sun, no exceptions. I was thinking more F1 program as usual and some twighlight V8SC sprint races (maybe 30-50 laps) scheduled around F1 and other support categories. Could definitely work.

As Nathan said, any night F1 races requires a lot of lighting as the cars dont have lights and this significantly ramps up the cost. Abu Dhabi is a night race (well half of it) but their lighting is not to the same extent as singapore (although close). Adelaide could pull that off though, for sure. Funding is a different story though. After the Adelaide Oval idea becoming a reality though, I believe anything is possible if the public talks about it. Sadly not as many F1 fans in this city (or country) as there are footy fans though.

rev

#34 Post by rev » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:49 pm

Nathan wrote:There would be nothing in Adelaide remotely close to what would be required:
Power cables length: 108,423 metres
Light projectors used: 1600
Total power consumed: 3,180,000 watts
Illumination requirement: 3000 lux
Lighting 4x brighter than stadium lights
Are you saying Adelaide couldn't purchase, or source from interstate, the required extra equipment, if it was not readily available?

Adelaide street circuit(F1) - 3.7km
Singapore street circuit - 5km

That's a considerable difference.

rev

#35 Post by rev » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:55 pm

Ecclestone is saying that if the Vic. gov doesn't keep paying, after 2015 when the contract expires Melbourne could lose the F1.
As an added "incentive" to blackmail them, he also says F1 will probably leave Australia if it leaves Melbourne.

In related news, since they wanted Melbourne to do a night race, it's been announced the Motorsport Board & V8 bosses and the government are in discussions to hold at least the Sunday race of the Clipsal 500 as a night race.

If we get one of the two stints as a twilight/night race, and it proves successful with attendances, I don't see why they shouldn't make a strong case using that as evidence it works in Adelaide and Adelaide is ready and capable, for a return of F1.

Adelaide street circuit F1 - 3.7km
Adelaide street circuit V8 - 3.2km

Just thought I'd throw this out there, since some think that Adelaide is incapable.

spiller
High Rise Poster!

#36 Post by spiller » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:46 pm

Night clipsal would be awesome, night F1 race in Adelaide would be even better! I think Ecclestone intends on pissing the Aus GP off altogether and he means what he says, so the state government (SA) really needs a good case/offer if we were to "win" it back. I'm sure his fees are a lot higher than they were in 1995. Still, we are certainly capable of holding the GP. Melbourne is still using the original Adelaide stands from 1985 ffs!

ferraritifosi27
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#37 Post by ferraritifosi27 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:20 pm

I agree, I am sure that we can pull it off. We also have one of the best nightlife atmospheres in the country. We did host the American 24 Hours of Le Mans in the past as well around the full F1 circuit here. A night race would be absolutely fantastic in our city and I think will further increase the attendances. The people who sook and complain about the noise...get over it! The sound is one of the most important things about Formula 1, it would be absolutely awesome to see the flames shoot out of the back of the cars at night if F1 were to return to Adelaide especially with the 1.6L V6 Turbos that are due to return in 2014.

The Government have got to stop worrying about the costs, I know it currently is a headache but it was increased for a reason. There are a lot of countries that want to host a race. It is like the World Cup on wheels.

I'm sure you saw the article with me in it on Indaily on January 25th. There is another article that will be published soon. It's got some pretty interesting things in there.

I've also got a SA Motorsport Board review document from 2008 and from what I saw in there is that Adelaide generated over $100 million dollars in Economic benefits for this state. So our state was actually making a profit hosting the Grand Prix more so than the Clipsal and TDU. In 1985 we received $51.6-$52.9 million in Economic benefits and in 1992 we received over 37 million. Also the amount of jobs that the state created from this further increased the economic benefits of this state.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#38 Post by Wayno » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:22 pm

A night Clipsal500 would send the parkland society into apoplexy. lol. Think of the trees! the trees! oh the humanity.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

ferraritifosi27
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#39 Post by ferraritifosi27 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:40 pm

Wayno wrote:A night Clipsal500 would send the parkland society into apoplexy. lol. Think of the trees! the trees! oh the humanity.
lol, those people have no idea. The trees and the environment are fine. It's been fine for a long time and always will. The 1960's are long gone, I think they are still living in the past.

brappinseven
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#40 Post by brappinseven » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:11 pm

Hey guys

Thought i'd sign up and also participate in this debate.
I myself would love f1 to return back to adelaide.

back when i was a teen i was somewhat involved in a family business, albeit a gentlemans restaurant located on port road, we use to get drivers such as Damon Hill, Schumacher, herbert along with bernie himself attending for lunch and dinners prior and after the race weekends. Saying that, i never actually got to meet them but did end up with a life size cardboard poster of Damon Hill holding his Helmet, Signed, by himself.

Saying that, i noticed tonight on tv that they are trying to turn Clipsal v8's into a night race, which instantly got me thinking.

Melbourne F1 has been under the hammer the last few years for various reasons, residents are sick of it, budget is blowing out, and ofcourse, FOTA want a night race...

Now is the chance for SA to really pounce, Bernie needs to quit with the greed and give every race a level playing field in terms of costs, its unfair that last year the melbourne circus cost 41million, whilst the new texas f1 have an agreement for 25million.

This is 1 of the major setbacks for adelaide, as we are known as being the nanny state, the growing costs of the formula 1 race is of main concern.
Back to the night race, If adelaide agree to doing a night race or even twilight race for the v8 supercars, why couldnt we do the same for F1?

Imagine having a 2 week circus here in adelaide, with the V8 Supercars in the first week, practice on friday, with sat and sun both holding prac, quali's and a night race.
Week 2: Friday practice for Formula 1 with support races/practices from Formula Ford, Formula Holden and a Historic F1 race, along with our celebrity practices.
Week 2: Sat Morning practice for the above support races, Afternoon qualifying for Formula Ford, Holden and Historic Races, and celebrity races.
Week 2: Sat Night Qualifying for Formula 1
Week 2: Sun Morning, Racing for Formula Ford, Holden, Celebrity Races, leading upto the formula1 race we could have the Historic F1 cars do a 10 lap race. Come night/Twilight time we switch the lights on and F1 Race kicks into gear.

The only issues here would be being a Sunday night, the locals may well have an issue with F1 cars racing around at 8pm at night, saying that, its really no different then the locals around the adelaide entertainment centre having concerts on different nights of the week.

As previously state, im all for bringing back F1, if i was more intellectual i would push and push for such thing to happen, unfortunately, unless somebody has their hand in the Premiers pocket, we wont be heard.

ferraritifosi27
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#41 Post by ferraritifosi27 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:31 pm

That would be awesome, I think having both as a night race would turn Adelaide in an event city like no other. This will boost Tourism in this state to another level.

Have a read of the 2nd F1 to Adelaide article! Enjoy!:

http://www.pitpass.com/45653-Adelaide

brappinseven
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#42 Post by brappinseven » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:43 pm

ferraritifosi27 wrote:That would be awesome, I think having both as a night race would turn Adelaide in an event city like no other. This will boost Tourism in this state to another level.

Enjoyed the read, actually found it about 20mins before your above post.
there are a few things which would concern me tho

would a 2 week motorsport bender be too much for our fans?
i personally have only been to clipsal once or twice in the last 6 or 7yrs but if we were to have v8's and f1 all within a week of each other, with a massive 2 event pass i wouldnt hesitate on attending both :>

ferraritifosi27
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#43 Post by ferraritifosi27 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:12 pm

brappinseven wrote:
ferraritifosi27 wrote:That would be awesome, I think having both as a night race would turn Adelaide in an event city like no other. This will boost Tourism in this state to another level.

Enjoyed the read, actually found it about 20mins before your above post.
there are a few things which would concern me tho

would a 2 week motorsport bender be too much for our fans?
i personally have only been to clipsal once or twice in the last 6 or 7yrs but if we were to have v8's and f1 all within a week of each other, with a massive 2 event pass i wouldnt hesitate on attending both :>
Cool :),

Putting them both together could work 50/50. We could make the Clipsal be from 6:30pm-8:30pm with the twilight transitional Sunset-Darkness like Abu Dhabi then from 9:30pm-11:30pm have the Formula 1 GP. Just a thought. Those people who complain about the noise should get a grip and come out to the race :). I would do the same with the 2 event pass!

metro
Legendary Member!

#44 Post by metro » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:36 pm

I think if Adelaide were to win back the F1GP it would be pretty big win for SA, could have the F1 race in mad-march and have the V8-500s in the spring on Melbourne Cup day, just to piss the Vics off!! :lol:

Would probably need to build permanent stands if that were to happen.

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#45 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:07 pm

Where's the Facebook page to bring it back?
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.