Lost Events

All event related discussion should go here.. e.g. Clipsal 500, Womadelaide, SALA, etc.
Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Lost Events

#16 Post by Ben » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:45 pm

Think they did it the last two festivals.

metro
Legendary Member!

#17 Post by metro » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:21 pm

They did it in 2008 and 2010. I remember seeing somewhere that because it was so popular it would be back for the next festival in 2012. It's also possible they decided not to do it because of the heavy traffic it caused :roll:

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#18 Post by Will » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:34 pm

The 2010 event was an 'encore'.

There was no indication ever that it was going to happen every festival

Songsting
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#19 Post by Songsting » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:24 pm

They should do it each year - it brings out the people and it's fantastic. Perhaps it wasn't elitist enough? "ordinary Joes" participating in the festival?

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#20 Post by Wayno » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:09 pm

Songsting wrote:Perhaps it wasn't elitist enough? "ordinary Joes" participating in the festival?
why on earth would you say that? many fringe events are free of charge and attract a wide variety of people.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

dsriggs
Legendary Member!

#21 Post by dsriggs » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:44 pm

Wayno wrote:
Songsting wrote:Perhaps it wasn't elitist enough? "ordinary Joes" participating in the festival?
why on earth would you say that? many fringe events are free of charge and attract a wide variety of people.
He meant the Festival, not the Fringe & he's probably right.

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#22 Post by Maximus » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:32 pm

Another lost 'event'... The Christmas (Xmas tree) and Easter (the cross) light displays using the windows of the State Bank / Bank SA / Santos building. I don't think this has happened since Westpac took over the naming rights. Which is a great shame, IMHO. The Christmas tree in particular looked very cool and was visible from lots of locations outside the CBD.

Anyone else feel that this is a bit of a sad loss?
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#23 Post by Ben » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:54 pm

Maximus wrote:Another lost 'event'... The Christmas (Xmas tree) and Easter (the cross) light displays using the windows of the State Bank / Bank SA / Santos building. I don't think this has happened since Westpac took over the naming rights. Which is a great shame, IMHO. The Christmas tree in particular looked very cool and was visible from lots of locations outside the CBD.

Yes definetely, when i asked the agent a few years back they said Westpac would not fund the costs associated with the display. Another example of why banks are evil.

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#24 Post by Maximus » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:33 pm

Ben wrote:Yes definetely, when i asked the agent a few years back they said Westpac would not fund the costs associated with the display. Another example of why banks are evil.
And why non-South Australian companies are evil. :twisted: :wink:

I wonder if there are any examples of light displays like this anywhere else in Aust/overseas...? It seemed to me to be quite a unique thing.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#25 Post by Wayno » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:23 pm

Maximus wrote:I wonder if there are any examples of light displays like this anywhere else in Aust/overseas...? It seemed to me to be quite a unique thing.
many cities worldwide have similar. Here's Sydney's version ==> http://www.vividsydney.com/

[edit] and Canberra ==> http://enlightencanberra.com/
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#26 Post by Maximus » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:16 pm

Wayno wrote:
Maximus wrote:I wonder if there are any examples of light displays like this anywhere else in Aust/overseas...? It seemed to me to be quite a unique thing.
many cities worldwide have similar. Here's Sydney's version ==> http://www.vividsydney.com/

[edit] and Canberra ==> http://enlightencanberra.com/
Wayno, sorry if I wasn't clear. I was talking about the Christmas tree and Easter cross on Westpac House (before Westpac acquired the naming rights), not the Northern Lights display.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#27 Post by Wayno » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:39 pm

Maximus wrote:Wayno, sorry if I wasn't clear. I was talking about the Christmas tree and Easter cross on Westpac House (before Westpac acquired the naming rights), not the Northern Lights display.
oops, slinks away...

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#28 Post by crawf » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:36 am

Maximus wrote:Another lost 'event'... The Christmas (Xmas tree) and Easter (the cross) light displays using the windows of the State Bank / Bank SA / Santos building. I don't think this has happened since Westpac took over the naming rights. Which is a great shame, IMHO. The Christmas tree in particular looked very cool and was visible from lots of locations outside the CBD.

Big loss, it was great seeing this as a kid. It was a unique Adelaide tradition, hopefully one day it will return or even in a new future high rise office building ;)

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#29 Post by rev » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:45 pm

Any indication as to why they've stopped that?

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#30 Post by Maximus » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:04 pm

rev wrote:Any indication as to why they've stopped that?
See Ben's response above (copied here for easy reference :))...
Ben wrote:Yes definetely, when i asked the agent a few years back they said Westpac would not fund the costs associated with the display. Another example of why banks are evil.
I don't think it's any great coincidence that this display stopped as soon as a non-South Australian company took over the naming rights for the building.