Adelaide Oval news and events

All event related discussion should go here.. e.g. Clipsal 500, Womadelaide, SALA, etc.
I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

Re: Adelaide Oval Redevelopment

#46 Post by I Follow PAFC » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:56 pm

Vee wrote:
I Follow PAFC wrote:
I am in the Riverbank Stand for Port Adelaide games and use the King William Road bridge a lot. My friend use the footbridge and much of the time I get back to the train station 5mins before him.
I love the footbridge. OK, it's a bit of a crush during big events, especially at the Memorial Drive end after events, but this usually tends to sort itself out as walkers progress across the bridge.

Much wider and it would be more like a wide highway, with relatively sparse but important numbers in everyday use. It has proved its worth connecting up both sides of the riverbank, and AO to the city - to locals and visitors.

Footy fans (and some major events) using P/T need to use King William St to access the special "Footy Express" buses. Those using trains, trams likely use the footbridge. Big Bash attendees (massive crowds) don't have the special buses so this adds extra folk on the footbridge after matches.

The boost to numbers using P/T as a result of AO (and for some, discovering its convenience) is a bonus.
But why do some locals still not have a Metro card, even for casual use?!?

The egress from the AO Western Stand, with large numbers moving south, is more of a crush and concern.
Oval no. 2, practice areas, tennis courts and Next Gen block off an alternative exit to the west. This funnels large numbers towards the Southern Plaza.

If/when Memorial Drive Tennis Centre is redeveloped, they should improve AO exits westward and improve access and pick up/ drop off bays for the disabled.

PS:
Interesting new job at AO!!!
Your big chance to become a team leader - Adelaide Oval Roof Climb.
Check criteria.

http://adelaideoval.applynow.net.au/job ... am-leaders
I am in a wheelchair but can't push it fast anymore and get crush a lot and have breathing problems with people smoking on it.
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#47 Post by monotonehell » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:16 am

I Follow PAFC wrote:I am in a wheelchair but can't push it fast anymore and get crush a lot and have breathing problems with people smoking on it.
Do many people seriously still light up in a crowd? That's just effing rude.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#48 Post by I Follow PAFC » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:44 pm

monotonehell wrote:
I Follow PAFC wrote:I am in a wheelchair but can't push it fast anymore and get crush a lot and have breathing problems with people smoking on it.
Do many people seriously still light up in a crowd? That's just effing rude.
Had some in front of me that made me had a Asthma attack have three in one year so now I wait longer or go by the KWS bridge.
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

Vee
Legendary Member!

#49 Post by Vee » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:28 pm

What a shame that the Strikers did not progress to the final of the Big Bash.

Khawaja was in great form for the Thunder. Hard to fathom how he was "dropped" from the Aussie ODI team (in time to return for the BB finals?!?) - but still not added to the squad for NZ tour!

Congrats to the Redbacks selected for various upcoming Aussie squads/tours. At last, some recognition and reward.
Kane Richardson, Travis Head, Chadd Sayers and Adam Zampa

Interesting to compare the attendances for the Big Bash semi-finals and final.
Adelaide Oval and the Adelaide crowds continue to top the table, including the biggest crowd of the finals series.
Only the Melbourne Derby between the two Melbourne teams in peak holiday time, 2nd January attracted a larger crowd. (80,883)

Semis:
21/1/16 Adelaide Oval 48,699 (Strikers v Thunder)
22/1/16 MCG 30,174 MCG (Stars v Scorchers)

Final:
24/1/16 MCG 47,672 (Stars v Thunder)

SuperEgz
Gold-Member ;)

#50 Post by SuperEgz » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:09 pm

Well after that 44,745 crowd for the T20 game against India, I think NSW Cricket can give up on their quest to steal Australia Day from us.

Sent from my SM-A300Y using Tapatalk

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#51 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:11 am

SuperEgz wrote:Well after that 44,745 crowd for the T20 game against India, I think NSW Cricket can give up on their quest to steal Australia Day from us.

Attendance aside, if they keep up the level of noise outside the venue in future Aus Day matches then we deserve to lose it. A 21 gun salute and fireworks echoing very loudly through the stadium is really off-putting for both the players and attendees.

This could have been better planned, the women's game started at 2.30PM finished 5.00PM and the mens game started at 7.15PM and finished 10.30PM. Surely they could have had the gun salute either before the women's match or between matches and the fireworks after both matches had finished. Might sound like a whinge fest from your end but 15 minutes of fireworks and 10 minutes of canon fire doesn't sound very pleasant when it's ringing through a venue designed to carry the crowds cheering throughout.

ghs

#52 Post by ghs » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:12 am

Great atmosphere, I think the Indian supporters were more noisy then the Australians.

Kohli said afterwards that Adelaide oval is the best cricket ground in the world.

The game would have had a big TV audience given that it was also a holiday in India.

SuperEgz
Gold-Member ;)

#53 Post by SuperEgz » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:32 am

Patrick_27 wrote:
SuperEgz wrote:Well after that 44,745 crowd for the T20 game against India, I think NSW Cricket can give up on their quest to steal Australia Day from us.

Attendance aside, if they keep up the level of noise outside the venue in future Aus Day matches then we deserve to lose it. A 21 gun salute and fireworks echoing very loudly through the stadium is really off-putting for both the players and attendees.

This could have been better planned, the women's game started at 2.30PM finished 5.00PM and the mens game started at 7.15PM and finished 10.30PM. Surely they could have had the gun salute either before the women's match or between matches and the fireworks after both matches had finished. Might sound like a whinge fest from your end but 15 minutes of fireworks and 10 minutes of canon fire doesn't sound very pleasant when it's ringing through a venue designed to carry the crowds cheering throughout.
Maybe Cricket Australia can have a talk with the Australia Day Council and the City Council. Shouldn't be too hard to find a compromise. The 21 Gun salute was ridiculous. In the eastern stand their was basically a minor panic until the message appeared on the screen.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#54 Post by Wayno » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:08 am

+1, unless there's significance in the starting time for the 21 gun salute. People around me were clearly panicked.

That being said, the fireworks later in the evening seemed more impactful on batsmen concentration.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

skyliner

#55 Post by skyliner » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:21 pm

VERY impressed by attendances - great atmosphere and involvement. (source pop. Adelaide 1.3m. Bris. can't top it with over 2m. source pop.). I was impressed with the flyover, the fireworks and the salute. Made me think things were happening in Adelaide. Over here in Bris. people find it hard to recognise AO as a better venue - 'attendances high because there is nothing else to do'!!! Ignorance prevailing with such comments IMHO. THe AO is a a standout.

BTW - I recognise the validity of last few posts re timing of external noise..

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

claybro

#56 Post by claybro » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:52 pm

SuperEgz wrote:Maybe Cricket Australia can have a talk with the Australia Day Council and the City Council. Shouldn't be too hard to find a compromise. The 21 Gun salute was ridiculous. In the eastern stand their was basically a minor panic until the message appeared on the screen.
In this day of heightened angst re terror alerts ETC. is a 21 cannon salute in a crowded CBD really such a good idea? I know I am more "alert" at major events now, particularly on significant days. This is probably more just my jittery nerves than anything, but I imagine folk inside the stadium would have been well concerned for a minute there.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#57 Post by Vee » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:12 pm

Great crowd and agree, the Indian fans were loud, passionate and added a lot to the atmosphere at Adelaide Oval. I liked the simultaneous Republic Day, Australia Day shared vibe.

Re the extraneous' noise':
The 21 gun salute started unexpectedly - ahead of the Oval announcement on the big screens. No warning added to the anxiety for many folk, hearing the loud first 'explosion', including the elderly and parents with small children present. Surely it's time for the SMA, Australia Day and City Councils to liaise and work out a solution, as others have suggested.

The later fireworks were more readily associated with the AD concert in Elder Park but the booming sound bursts were likely distracting for some players, umpires and fans.
Just when you thought they were over... boom ..! And at a very critical point in the match.

I'm not sure if the loudness at the venue was conveyed to the TV audience, but IMHO it was LOUD (more than the NYE match). It would be interesting to get the (true) players' perspectives. And feedback from fans.
I take the point that the fireworks, flyover etc may have added to the TV spectacle. The national anthems, performed from "on high", added a novel touch.

The Citizenship ceremony before the main match was rather a lacklustre affair (obligatory politician!!!) compared to others but it was good to have the 2016 Australians of the Year introduced to the crowd.

And 44,745 fans, including a sizeable contingent of Indian fans, were treated to a fast-paced T20 match with thrills, spills, highs and lows.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#58 Post by Brucetiki » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:31 pm

Vee wrote: The Citizenship ceremony before the main match was rather a lacklustre affair (obligatory politician!!!) compared to others but it was good to have the 2016 Australians of the Year introduced to the crowd.
This was the same when they tried doing this prior to the Crows v Richmond game in August (to celebrate Multicultural Round). Haese got a few boos, and then no one gave two shits about the actual ceremony. Citizenship ceremonies should not take place at sporting events.

SRJ
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#59 Post by SRJ » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:27 am

People from Brisbane shouldn't complain about there being nothing to do in Adelaide. Their city is a boring place. I was so bored there last year I couldn't wait to leave. A very poor mans Melbourne if you ask me. They are just jealous that our fair city will soon overtake theirs. As for the Brisbane airport staff. Well don't get me started. Rude bogans.

robboaustralia
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#60 Post by robboaustralia » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:20 am

claybro wrote:
SuperEgz wrote:Maybe Cricket Australia can have a talk with the Australia Day Council and the City Council. Shouldn't be too hard to find a compromise. The 21 Gun salute was ridiculous. In the eastern stand their was basically a minor panic until the message appeared on the screen.
In this day of heightened angst re terror alerts ETC. is a 21 cannon salute in a crowded CBD really such a good idea? I know I am more "alert" at major events now, particularly on significant days. This is probably more just my jittery nerves than anything, but I imagine folk inside the stadium would have been well concerned for a minute there.
I was in the Eastern stand. Said to my mate what the hell was that? We both kind of said surely not. The no screaming or shouting shortly afterwards made us feel a bit better but it was a bit of an unknown when we first heard it.