Adelaide Oval news and events

All event related discussion should go here.. e.g. Clipsal 500, Womadelaide, SALA, etc.
SuperEgz
Gold-Member ;)

temp

#1 Post by SuperEgz » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:08 pm

Tomorrow night's New Years Eve Big Bash game has sold out for the 3rd year in a row. I think we can call it an established tradition now.

Sent from my SM-A300Y using Tapatalk

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Adelaide Oval Redevelopment

#2 Post by Waewick » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:38 pm

SuperEgz wrote:Tomorrow night's New Years Eve Big Bash game has sold out for the 3rd year in a row. I think we can call it an established tradition now.

Sent from my SM-A300Y using Tapatalk
lets hope they win.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#3 Post by how good is he » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:17 pm

I know it's a night game and will be ok but if this was a day game is there a set rule for max. temprature allowed for cricket (or AFL or soccer) where the game is cancelled/delayed for players safety?

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4 Post by Wayno » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:09 pm

Not sure about Cricket Australia, but SACAs guidelines are here:

http://premiercricket.sa.cricket.com.au ... .aspx?rw=c
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#5 Post by Brucetiki » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:57 pm

how good is he wrote:I know it's a night game and will be ok but if this was a day game is there a set rule for max. temprature allowed for cricket (or AFL or soccer) where the game is cancelled/delayed for players safety?
The women's game is at 2:00pm - I'm stunned the game hasn't been shifted yet

claybro

#6 Post by claybro » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:05 am

Brucetiki wrote:
how good is he wrote:I know it's a night game and will be ok but if this was a day game is there a set rule for max. temprature allowed for cricket (or AFL or soccer) where the game is cancelled/delayed for players safety?
Cricket is a summer sport. Has been for about 200 years. It is played in India in 50deg heat. There have been test matches played even in Adelaide Melbourne and Perth in the low to mid 40's. When did we as a society become so soft that we cant take adequate measures to manage a bit of heat!

ChillyPhilly

#7 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:56 pm

Cricket can be played in such heat because it doesn't have anywhere near the physical demands of other sports.

A-League games have kick off times pushed back when temperatures approach the 40C mark. During all hot weather matches there's also a drinks break part way through each half as well.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

ghs

#8 Post by ghs » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:53 am

ChillyPhilly wrote:Cricket can be played in such heat because it doesn't have anywhere near the physical demands of other sports.

A-League games have kick off times pushed back when temperatures approach the 40C mark. During all hot weather matches there's also a drinks break part way through each half as well.
What a match. 46,000 people with an amazing finish.

How would Adelaide oval rate compared to other venues in terms of total attendance for 2015.

The MCG would be the only venue to draw more people through the gates I would imagine.

Vee
Legendary Member!

Adelaide Oval news and events

#9 Post by Vee » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:53 am

Agree, ghs.
Amazing finish!

What a match?!?!
The atmosphere at AO last night was fantastic, the fans treated to an exciting finish, fireworks, entertainment, flashing blue glasses lighting up the Oval and even a special NYE zing!

The final few overs were exhilarating as, against the odds, Travis Head piled on the sixes (56 runs off his last 15 balls:
4,6,4,6,6,1,0,2,2,6,0,1,6,6,6),
finishing with a gutsy above the head (almost unplayable bouncer) SIX to complete his century (101 not out and MOTM) and win the match for the Adelaide Strikers (5/182) with just 3 balls to spare.

And the Adelaide Strikers WBBL team made it a winning double, defeating the higher placed Perth Scorchers in the earlier match.

The Strikers looked gone, needing 51 runs off the last 18 balls - a seemingly impossible task! But they scored 56 off 15, with Head cleverly maintaining the strike to score the lot! And the crowd went ballistic as each 6 made the task a greater possibility.

Pic of special zing via @BBL:
http://twitter.com/BBL/status/682470513 ... 17/video/1

Social media was on fire with massive number of tweets and photos. Huge interest in Australia, England and India in particular.

As mentioned previously, I have been recording official BBL attendances for each venue.
Adelaide Oval holds the record to date to date.
Updated Big Bash League attendance 2015:
17/12 - 18,287 Spotless Thunder / Sixers
18/12 - 27,611 AO Strikers / Stars
19/12 - 26,245 Gabba Renegades / Heat
20/12 - 20,072 SCG Sixers / Hurricanes
20/12 - 18,809 MCG Stars / Thunder
21/12 - 20,553 WACA Scorchers / Strikers
22/12 - 14,848 (record domestic) Blundstone Hurricanes / Heat
23/12 - 20,850 Etihad Renegades / Sixers
26/12 - 19,225 WACA Scorchers / Heat
27/12 - 29,104 SCG Sixers / Stars
28/12 - 21,500 Spotless Thunder / Strikers
29/12 - 29,876 Gabba Heat / Hurricanes
30/12 - 26,787 Etihad Renegades / Scorchers
31/12 - 46,389 AO Strikers / Sixers

Last year's AO NYE 31/12/14 (43,288).
Record BBL crowd so far - 24/1/15 Semi (52,663) attendances at AO will be hard to beat!

.... But Melbourne is looking to smash this attendance record, urging Victorians to come out in droves to watch the Melbourne BBL derby - Stars v Renegades at the MCG on Saturday, 2/1/2016.
Melbourne derby on track to set domestic T20 record crowd:
The biggest crowd the Stars and Renegades have drawn together so far is 46,581, which came in BBL02, back on January 6, 2013 at the MCG.
SMH: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/big ... lwzp7.html

Two Melbourne teams, a Saturday in prime holiday time, bigger stadium, larger population....

Some links to browse for anyone interested.
Adelaide Strikers' match report:
http://www.adelaidestrikers.com.au/news ... 2015-12-31

Photo of Travis Head celebrating the winning shot via @cricknews365
http://twitter.com/CricNews365/status/6 ... 24/photo/1

BBL video: Alex Ross flies for catch of the summer:
http://www.bigbash.com.au/news/alex-ros ... 2015-12-31

BBL video: highlights of Head's 53 ball ton:
http://www.bigbash.com.au/video#videoId=4680865698001

BBL video: all 9 of Travis Head's sixes:
http://www.bigbash.com.au/video#videoId=4680865700001

WBBL match report:
http://www.cricket.com.au/news/match-re ... 2015-12-31

SA / Adelaide Oval Proud.....
Take a bow, beautiful Adelaide Oval, courageous Travis Head, awesome Strikers' team and officials, organizers, entertainers and the magnificent 46k+ crowd.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#10 Post by Brucetiki » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:20 am

claybro wrote:
Brucetiki wrote:
Cricket is a summer sport. Has been for about 200 years. It is played in India in 50deg heat. There have been test matches played even in Adelaide Melbourne and Perth in the low to mid 40's. When did we as a society become so soft that we cant take adequate measures to manage a bit of heat!
If, as you say, it's perfectly ok for people to play sport in extreme heat because it's been played for 200 years. or because they do it in India, why does every summer sporting organisation in the country have heat rules (including postponement/cancellation) in place for extreme heat?

ghs

#11 Post by ghs » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:12 pm

Thanks for the stats Vee. It was an amazing
year last year for Adelaide oval with
the world cup matches including Ind v Pakistan, big bash matches, liverpool, Afl, Ac dc and the day night test match.

This coming year we should have good crowds at
the remaining big bash matches, the Socceroos coming in March and I ve heard rumours that U2 might also be touring later in the year.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#12 Post by Vee » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:42 pm

ghs wrote:.... It was an amazing year last year for Adelaide oval with
the world cup matches including Ind v Pakistan, big bash matches, liverpool, Afl, Ac dc and the day night test match.

the remaining big bash matches, the Socceroos coming in March and I ve heard rumours that U2 might also be touring later in the year.
Yes, impressive number and variety of events at AO in 2015, with more in the pipeline for 2016.

Don't forget the massive draw and tourism potential of Adelaide Oval.
2016 sees the introduction of the Roof Climb attraction to add to the tour and range of events.
Anyone booked yet or intending to do the Climb?

AO Roof Climb:
https://roofclimb.com.au/

Matt
Legendary Member!

#13 Post by Matt » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:17 am

"@andy_murray: If you love sport, check out the end of today's big bash match between Sydney and Adelaide...Unbelievable performance..great entertainment"

Briggzy_03
High Rise Poster!

#14 Post by Briggzy_03 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:56 pm

Vee wrote:
ghs wrote: Anyone booked yet or intending to do the Climb?

AO Roof Climb:
https://roofclimb.com.au/
I bought a Twilight Roof Climb voucher for my SO for Christmas, she can't wait!

If the popularity of the tours of Adelaide Oval are anything to go by, I think the Roof Climb will prove to be a huge hit among tourists and locals alike. :2cents:

ChillyPhilly

#15 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:37 pm

ghs wrote:Thanks for the stats Vee. It was an amazing
year last year for Adelaide oval with

The issue with U2's tour is that it's an arena (indoor) one. They'd have to adapt it for an outdoor stadium - yet to happen. The Entertainment Centre is just too small so sadly we may be consigned to missing out.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.