SA Economy

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: SA Economy

#91 Post by crawf » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:28 am

Ignore the branding and try it. You maybe surprised...

Their Golden Twins are delicious.

dsriggs
Legendary Member!

#92 Post by dsriggs » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:20 pm

Just buy a Fruchoc Bar

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#93 Post by pushbutton » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:18 pm

Again fruchoc has never appealed to me.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#94 Post by pushbutton » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:19 pm

With fruchoc it's not just the branding. I have tried the product and it tasted very artificial.
Last edited by pushbutton on Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#95 Post by Waewick » Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:04 pm

pushbutton wrote:The point is that brand perception does play a huge part in what people think of companies. That's why most successful companies put the time and money into development of brands.

It's why I shop at Coles, for example, when there's a Woolworths right next to it, selling mostly the same goods at the same prices.

I'm just not tempted by Golden North. It looks too ordinary.
Yeah I know it does.

It is why people buy inferior products or pay more for the same thing with a different tag on it.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#96 Post by pushbutton » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:31 pm

It's a funny thing alright. Same reason so many people have been happy to queue for hours at Krispy Kreme when they could get better donuts elsewhere easily and cheaper.

However I have never been remotely interested in designer label fashion brands. I buy clothes very infrequently and as cheaply as possible.

Strange isn't it!

Waewick

#97 Post by Waewick » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:46 pm

pushbutton wrote:It's a funny thing alright. Same reason so many people have been happy to queue for hours at Krispy Kreme when they could get better donuts elsewhere easily and cheaper.

However I have never been remotely interested in designer label fashion brands. I buy clothes very infrequently and as cheaply as possible.

Strange isn't it!
I'm like that too.

My only weakness is ralph lauren polos (not the ones with huge horses on them)

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#98 Post by Jaymz » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:08 am

Unfortunately, the decline of the South Australian and Australian manufacturing industry is a by product of the mining boom........that being higher wages, and up until recently, the strength of the Aussie dollar...(higher cash interest rate compared to the U.S and Europe, due to our stronger economy). Having said that, and after working in mining for the past 16 years, I DO think that mining/oil and gas/energy is the best way to grow our economy in the future...... we have an abundance of discovered and undiscovered resources out there, and 90% of our land mass is pretty much useless for anything else. S.A just seems to lack a bit of luck mostly, as the massive investment cycle that has happened in mining/energy is coming to an end.....just as we have some potential projects at the funding stage.

And of course, we have been trending below the national economic growth rate since the State Bank collapse. Impossible to ignore how crippling $2 million in interest payment a day was for this state during the 90's.

We do have a lot to be positive about though, and I always just how the place is going by the number of cranes in the CBD. And the last 5 years and the next 5 look pretty good.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#99 Post by Will » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:06 pm

From the ABC:

Great news for the state. I always thought that Oz Minerals was the ideal company to poach from interstate. The next one would be Treasury Wine Estates :idea:
Oz Minerals to move head office to Adelaide under $10m deal with SA Government

Updated 54 minutes agoWed 28 Jan 2015, 6:06pm

A $10 million deal has been struck between the South Australian Government and Oz Minerals which will see the mining company shift its head office from Melbourne to Adelaide.

The taxpayer funds will be spent on a new research partnership between the company and local universities.

SA Premier Jay Weatherill said he expected 60 staff to relocate from Melbourne to the new head office in Adelaide, which will be based in Oz Minerals' existing Adelaide offices.

Oz Minerals has two major copper assets in South Australia with its Prominent Hill mine south-east of Coober Pedy in the state's north-west and the Carrapateena project located 130 kilometres from Port Augusta.

Mr Weatherill said having Oz Minerals base itself out of Adelaide was good news for the state.

"It also creates fantastic opportunities for graduates coming out of our universities to aspire to the high-end jobs that exist in head offices," he said.

"This sends a clear signal to other resource and energy companies that South Australia wants to be the nation's resources hub and we are prepared to invest in innovation to grow business and create new jobs."

Oz Minerals had also made an $18 million commitment to the partnership, which would include the construction of a demonstration plant in South Australia.

"The State Government is investing $10 million to partner with Oz Minerals and local universities to develop new technologies aimed at unlocking our unique but deeply covered mineral deposits," Mr Weatherill said.

"This will be of benefit to mining companies both here in Australia and also around the world."

Decision shows confidence in future of copper: Kuchel

Jason Kuchel from the South Australian Chamber of Mines and Energy said the decision to relocate the Oz Minerals' head office to Adelaide was a show of confidence in the state's resources sector.

"It particularly shows they have confidence in the opportunities in the copper sector," Mr Kuchel said.

"Historically, if we go back over the last 100 years, we have been the biggest supplier of copper and throughout the latter part of the last century our dominance in copper completely dissipated.

"What we're recognising now is that South Australia is very copper-rich and it's not just companies like Oz Minerals, but others are also recognising the substantial opportunities in South Australia."

Mr Kuchel said the State Government deal to fund the Oz Minerals move to Adelaide was an indication the resources sector was its number one priority.

"As companies develop other projects, either interstate or overseas, having a head office in South Australia will mean there will still be jobs being created right here in Adelaide," he said.

Opposition questions return for investment

Opposition Leader Steven Marshall welcomed the Oz Minerals announcement, but questioned what taxpayers would get in return for the $10 million the Government had paid to the company.

"For too many months now we've had very negative stories about companies downsizing, about companies going out of South Australia, so it's good news that Oz Minerals will be relocating its headquarters to South Australia," he said.

"But I think the big question for this Government is, at what price?

"We hear today that the Government has made a gift of $10 million to Oz Minerals, well we need to know, what are we going to get in return?"

Mr Marshall called for more transparency over the deal, claiming the Government had not learnt its lesson from the Gillman land deal, which resulted in the Government being investigated by the independent commissioner for corruption.

In 2013 the Government accepted an exclusive unsolicited offer from developer Adelaide Capital Partners to acquire up to 407 hectares of vacant industrial land at Gillman.

The Supreme Court ruled the deal was unlawful, but did not overturn the contract.

"The Government is currently under investigation by the independent commissioner for corruption for this reason, that there is very little transparency in knowing what we are going to get in return for a deal that the Government has done behind closed doors, and we still don't know how many jobs it is going to create," Mr Marshall said.

The State Government has plans to attract another two resource company head offices to Adelaide

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#100 Post by Ben » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:25 am

Great news thanks for posting.

This sounds promising
The State Government has plans to attract another two resource company head offices to Adelaide
BHP and RIo haha I wish

ghs

#101 Post by ghs » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:26 pm

OZ Minerals share price has gone up about 12% since announcing yesterday their quarterly results and the
move to Adelaide.

Their Carrapateena project (south of Olympic Dam) alone is expected to generate $22.1 billion in revenue over
a period of 24 years.

Ho Really

#102 Post by Ho Really » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:53 pm

I wouldn't crow too much. After gaining a possible 60 positions with Oz Minerals we now have BHP announcing a cut of 300 jobs at Olympic Dam. This is the resources industry. It's boom and bust.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#103 Post by Jaymz » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:25 am

Ben wrote:Great news thanks for posting.

This sounds promising
BHP and RIo haha I wish
Ha. Yeah wouldn't it be nice if those 2 built a tower each in the Adelaide CBD. One can only dream :lol:

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#104 Post by Jaymz » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:12 am

Ho Really wrote:I wouldn't crow too much. After gaining a possible 60 positions with Oz Minerals we now have BHP announcing a cut of 300 jobs at Olympic Dam. This is the resources industry. It's boom and bust.

Cheers

And yep. There won't be any significant take up of vacant office space with OZ Minerals moving to Adelaide, in fact I doubt it would drop the vacancy rate at all.

ghs

#105 Post by ghs » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:16 am

300 jobs is not at big loss, in Western Australia there's a lot more then 300 jobs being lost as a result
of the Iron ore price crashing.

While OZ minerals are not that big at the moment there is the potential for expansion. The state government can
see the potential growth involved with OZ minerals and accordingly lured the head office here to Adelaide.