Favourite loonies/oddballs of Adelaide

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Favourite loonies/oddballs of Adelaide

#46 Post by jk1237 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:21 pm

if you wanna know where all the natives are, come down to the Veale Gardens. I work in the Optus building and they're always around South Terrace and Gilbert St and veale Gardens. Most are fine, but the abusive drunks ruin it for all. Beautiful spot is the Veale Gardens. Up until Oct last year many of us would have lunch over the road in the park. Now its a no go zone

iTouch
Legendary Member!

#47 Post by iTouch » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:24 am

A good solution is to put achina/thai/korea/japan/malaysia/asiantown there. I hope this doesn't sound racist but where there are Asians, it's a well known fact that bogans and ferals tend to scurry away. Look at the CBD streets in Sydney and Perth that are filled with asians for example. Streets where there it's "spot the aussie" are very much "spot the bogan/feral" as well. Not to mention, it's more vibrant :)

Oh also, they've got to be rich and smart. We don't want a Grote St disaster with bogans and middle class asians living in harmony.
Don't burn the Adelaide Parkland (preservation society)

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#48 Post by stumpjumper » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:46 am

Candidate/s from the house on Fullarton Road roughly opposite the entrance to the Glenside hospital, film hub etc.

I've often driven past, noticed all the 'peace' and 'love' signs on the fence, roof walls etc, and I used to think, 'Cool. Some unreconstructed hippie is still smokin' away in there.'

We'll, maybe, but if you actually stop and read some of the 'public notices' painted on the fence, thoughts of flower power disappear. It's full-on anarchy - lists of people who will be murdered if they set foot inside the property (council employees, tax collectors, representatives of any level of government, cats of any description [felines, that is]...).

I felt a lot less like knocking on the door and asking how things were going. A stroll across the road could help these people.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#49 Post by Vee » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:23 am

stumpjumper wrote:Candidate/s from the house on Fullarton Road roughly opposite the entrance to the Glenside hospital, film hub etc.

I've often driven past, noticed all the 'peace' and 'love' signs on the fence, roof walls etc, and I used to think, 'Cool. Some unreconstructed hippie is still smokin' away ....
This house has intrigued me also. It's been like this for as long as I can remember.

Some dude (or heir?) is sitting on an expensive piece of real estate, given the location right opposite the Glenside redevelopment.

Michael S
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#50 Post by Michael S » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:09 am

My favourite looney of Rundle Mall would be the headphone guy pacing up the mall with singing in normal and high pitch. I was in the mall on Sep 21 and when he passed by wearing his Adelaide Crows football top he must have passed by at least a dozen times. I had to capture it on my phone camera. He makes me laugh. There is another guy I see in my area of Christies Beach with a beard who wears a Superman costume who walks around Colonnades and Noarlunga train station. He sometimes wears fairy wings with a Saddle club bag over his shoulder. Sometimes all of that at the same time. You have to see that. He usually catches the 743 bus from the Noarlunga bus interchange sometime It's a classic. I have seen him once in Rundle Mall wearing his superman costume.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#51 Post by pushbutton » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:40 am

Mine is the guy who dresses up as Superman, and walks around Colonnades, and sometimes Arndale Central. Periodically he breaks into a run, and I think he thinks he's flying as his cape flies up behind him!

Sometimes, the same guy dresses as a cowboy and often he can be seen carrying a guitar, whether dressed as Superman or a cowboy.

By the way Shuz, the gentleman who gives out free bibles in Rundle Mall has no links with any commercial organisation. He buys the bibles with his own money, and gives them away free to anyone who wants one.

He doesn't shout offensive comments, or wave offensive banners.

I don't believe in God, but nor do I believe he deserves verbal abuse.
Last edited by pushbutton on Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#52 Post by pushbutton » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:42 am

And I've just realized Michael S mentioned the superman guy too!

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#53 Post by pushbutton » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:36 pm

One that's less obvious to most people, but very well known to many who work in retail, is known as Mrs Doubtfire.

She really is a woman, unlike the movie character she strongly resembles.

She seems to spend all day talking to sales assistants, security officers, and anyone else unfortunate enough to be nearby.

Quite often she'll start with what at first sounds like a fairly serious complaint. Then it gradually escalates to a point where she's saying the universe is about to collapse (but she's still completely sincere)!

I've been caught up with her several times, and even if I tried to escape by going into a staff only area, she'll still follow!

Once you say a single word to her, it's a real challenge to get rid of her!

Michael S
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#54 Post by Michael S » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:49 pm

There is also an asian guy as well who sings out aloud not usually in english but it's always very loud near Haighs chocolates from around 7 am til as late as 7:30am or even 8am some weekdays. He was outside near Rundle Place one morning and his singing was so loud it could be heard echoing throughout the entire Rundle Place food court. Staff at the newsagent in rundle place. Not to forget that 60's dj Johnny K blasting across the mall telling us how excited he gets about the Rundle mall plaza shopping complex. These announcements can be heard 10 metres up the mall . I have never heard anyone so excited about a shopping complex. Henry Bucks menswear and spotlight are his favourites. And that lovely fresh apple pie at their cafe.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#55 Post by monotonehell » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:53 pm

Michael S wrote:...Not to forget that 60's dj Johnny K blasting across the mall telling us how excited he gets about the Rundle mall plaza shopping complex...
You mean THE Rundle Mall Plaza, surely.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#56 Post by crawf » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:25 pm

Michael S wrote:My favourite looney of Rundle Mall would be the headphone guy pacing up the mall with singing in normal and high pitch. I was in the mall on Sep 21 and when he passed by wearing his Adelaide Crows football top he must have passed by at least a dozen times.
Is he still going? Lol

Not exactly loonies/oddballs, but I have noticed an increase in more beggars and homeless people in the city in recent years...

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#57 Post by Waewick » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:33 pm

crawf wrote:
Michael S wrote:My favourite looney of Rundle Mall would be the headphone guy pacing up the mall with singing in normal and high pitch. I was in the mall on Sep 21 and when he passed by wearing his Adelaide Crows football top he must have passed by at least a dozen times.
Is he still going? Lol

Not exactly loonies/oddballs, but I have noticed an increase in more beggars and homeless people in the city in recent years...
massively increased.

Cops dont move them on anymore it seems.

Michael S
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#58 Post by Michael S » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:58 am

I like the comment diamond wrote sometime ago about the young asian guy singing in Rundle Mall sometime ago. It made me laugh. The asian guy was in the mall this morning singing really loud , it was so funny. Today he was standing on and walking across the seats between Charlesworth nuts and Haughs's chocolates singing really loud as usual. Classic morning entertainment.