Alexander Downer Our Future Premier?

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.

Would you vote for Alexander Downer to become our premier

Yes
47%
No
53%

Total votes: 19

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

Alexander Downer Our Future Premier?

#1 Post by crawf » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:57 am

I'd like to be Premier
Article from: The Advertiser

* Font size: Decrease Increase
* Email article: Email
* Print article: Print
* Submit comment: Submit comment

MARK KENNY, POLITICAL EDITOR, CANBERRA

September 20, 2007 02:15am

Alexander Downer has revealed he might consider a switch to state politics to lead the Liberals against Premier Mike Rann in the 2010 state election.

He said he could make the radical move to become the state's next Liberal premier even if the Federal Government were to win the coming election. He would campaign principally on the issue of guaranteeing Adelaide's water supply.

Arts and education also would be areas of high priority, with increases in funding and the establishment of schools for gifted but poorer public-school students.

The surprise suggestion will send shock waves through the state's political scene and could significantly improve the Liberal Party's chances of unseating the dominant Rann Labor Government.

It would pit the experienced and battle-hardened Mr Downer - Australia's longest-serving Foreign Affairs Minister and one of the Federal Government's "big three" with Prime Minister John Howard and Treasurer Peter Costello - against Mr Rann, who easily has accounted for state Liberals in the past.

Mr Downer said that while he had not given much thought to changing from his current role and still believed the Howard Government would win the forthcoming election, he might be tempted to consider the move - if the SA party wanted it - to break the stranglehold of the Rann Government.

While acknowledging Mr Rann enjoyed a solid majority and was popular with voters, he said he was like federal Labor leader Kevin Rudd.

"He is pretty much all spin and no action," Mr Downer said.

He singled out so-called signature projects such as the multibillion-dollar plan to replace the Royal Adelaide Hospital, which he said was a pipedream with no real funding base.

Mr Downer said he eventually would like to make his contribution at home and was not interested in high-profile roles abroad, regardless of the prestige attached to them.

He professed his love for South Australia and spoke of the satisfaction he felt from doing positive things for the state, such as helping attract the American Carnegie Mellon University to Adelaide.

The former federal opposition leader, 56, said it was encouraging that the state Liberal leader, Martin Hamilton-Smith, was landing some blows on the Rann Government, which he said had dithered while the state's historic advantages had been squandered.

After 25 years in federal Parliament, including nearly a dozen as Foreign Affairs Minister, Mr Downer said any move to the state level would be done "purely to get things done".

The prime focus of a Downer premiership would be on water, with an emphasis on relieving the load on the "poor old River Murray, which should be allowed to flow to the sea".

That would be done by immediately commissioning a desalination plant for Adelaide - probably at Port Stanvac south of the city - for which he would use state and Commonwealth funds.

In a move that would take some political courage but which he argued was necessary, he would price water more realistically to allow the market mechanism to play its part in promoting efficiencies.

Mr Downer said SA had been allowed to slip behind other states in some areas in which it once led.

He said he would "quadruple" funding for the Adelaide Festival of Arts to once again propel it to the top of the nation's festivals and establish it as a key global arts event.

On education, he said he would like to see a return to the idea of community-based schools to make them more responsive to community values and to break the grip of the state education bureaucracies.

He also said he would establish "select schools" in lower socioeconomic areas specifically for less well-off children to obtain first-rate educations.

He said that would allow bright children from poorer households to reach their full potential while wealthier parents still could send their children to private schools.

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

Re: Alexander Downer Our Future Premier?

#2 Post by bmw boy » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:02 am

Dunno if I'd like him to be premier... have to see his proposals, but I would like to see him as Leader of the Liberal Party

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3 Post by crawf » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:08 am

Anything is gotta be better than that current clown. At least Alexander is proposing some things, unlike that whinging clown. Sorry I really dislike Martin Hamilton-Smith lol

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#4 Post by rev » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:43 am

God no.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#5 Post by Cruise » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:50 am

Id prefer to see John Bannon back in power then him.

but on the other hand Downer did get us pandas, :D

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by Will » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:00 pm

I would hate to see Alexander Downer as premier. He is out of touch with the concerns of ordinary Australians, whilst he is also pompous and arrogant.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#7 Post by SRW » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:03 pm

crawf wrote:Anything is gotta be better than that current clown. At least Alexander is proposing some things, unlike that whinging clown. Sorry I really dislike Martin Hamilton-Smith lol
I've actually met him in person a couple times, and he seems quite intelligent. I don't know what it is, but whenever there's a camera in front of him, he comes across as a whining fool. That said, I still don't think he or the Liberal Party are worth any votes.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#8 Post by Ho Really » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:27 pm

Cruise Control wrote:Id prefer to see John Bannon back in power then him.
Off all people! I know many that would hang him, and they are ordinary people!
Will wrote:...whilst he is also pompous and arrogant.
Have you met the guy?

He would make a much better premier than you'd think, but let's wait and see whether he runs for state politics and let's make a decision when we know more about his policies.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#9 Post by rev » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:08 pm

His policies wont be any different to those of the Liberal party, they will be in line with anyone else subscribing to the conservative side of politics.
No need to list them, we can see them with the current federal government, and we are still feeling them from the last state liberal government.

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#10 Post by Pistol » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:42 pm

I hope not...
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#11 Post by Shuz » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:12 pm

Will wrote:I would hate to see Alexander Downer as premier. He is out of touch with the concerns of ordinary Australians, whilst he is also pompous and arrogant.
Hear hear.

I've met him too. Arrogant as, such a little whiner.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#12 Post by Howie » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:38 pm

I'd like to see his proposals too.. what can he do for Adelaide that previous premiers haven't been able to do?

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#13 Post by Will » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:01 pm

Ho Really wrote:
Cruise Control wrote:Id prefer to see John Bannon back in power then him.
Off all people! I know many that would hang him, and they are ordinary people!
Will wrote:...whilst he is also pompous and arrogant.
Have you met the guy?

He would make a much better premier than you'd think, but let's wait and see whether he runs for state politics and let's make a decision when we know more about his policies.

Cheers
Have you met John Bannon? :wink:

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

#14 Post by bmw boy » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:32 pm

If the Libs won the federal election.... and Downer lost his seat, I bet he would come to State Liberal... then if he got in, we'd be getting Favouritism from the commonwealth lol

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#15 Post by Ho Really » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:34 am

Will wrote:Have you met John Bannon? :wink:
Seen him several times but never have spoken to him. I didn't say John Bannon is a bad person, I doubt he is, but I have heard many that weren't too happy about him and those people weren't all conservatives. My point is that when you have met someone, spoken to them, have had relations, known them, etc., you see a different side. What you see in real life is different from politics. In parliament Labor is no different than anyone else, in fact if you want to talk about arrogance Labor has done very well in that department.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.