Introduction Thread

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Introduction Thread

#31 Post by SRW » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:32 am

Good idea, this thread.

I'm Scott. I registered on Sensational Adelaide in June this year, though I'd been lurking for some months beforehand. I don't recall exactly how I became aware of the site, but I'm fairly sure it was through my activities on Wikipedia, where I'm an administrator. I'm 20 years old, an on-again off-again student at Flinders University, and have been fortunate enough to live in Sydney, Canberra and Stockholm (where I'll be returning next month). I've long been interested in city planning and development, and also the history of Adelaide and South Australia. I truly believe this city has more potential than just about any other place in the world, and I'm keen to see it realised, while maintaining its enduring sense of difference and uniqueness.

Oh, and this marks my 100th post! :D
Last edited by SRW on Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#32 Post by Cruise » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:55 am

AG wrote:All these name changes are going to start getting confusing soon if more people start doing it, lol. Okay, other than these 3, who else has changed names?

beamer85 ---> Ben
Cruise Control ---> Cruise
normangerman ---> Norman

lol its funny we all changed our names at about the same time!!!

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

#33 Post by bmw boy » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:55 pm

my name is Vasili (greek background), 18 y.o.

studying at uni SA, Marketing and property degree (1st yr), which will hopfully in the future see me employed in marketing and selling of projects such as the one's up on this site :D
and I love bmw's

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#34 Post by jimmy_2486 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:21 pm

Hello everyone....

My name is James, im 21 and studying Software Engineering at Adelaide Uni.

My interests are primarily focused on Software and general muckin round with systems and pcs in general.

I actually stumbled across this site while looking for information on the south road anzac hwy intersection, and ive been hooked on it ever since.

Its great to get a first hand view of everything that is happening around here and peoples views.

I have lived pretty much all over the joint. Was born in hendon, then moved out to west lakes shore along the coast, then semaphore park, then moved over to mitcham area and now im living in a nice spot close to the bay.

I think Adelaide is a great place and at the same time I think any Australian city is great. Studies show this as well, considering the top 10 livable cities in the world include all Austalian major cities.

One thing I hate is the constant bitching that one city is better than another and the famous.... I would never live in that city because yada yada yada... Every city is different and I think I could live anywhere in the great land of Oz.

Adelaide could do with some improvement, but then again what city doesnt?? So I think its great to be here.

frank1
Donating Member
Donating Member

#35 Post by frank1 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:58 pm

Now that i have made a few posts i should probably introduce myself. My name is Frank, 20, lived in Athelstone (NE) my whole life. I have visited this site almost everday for past 2 years. I am 2 year geology student at adelaide uni and interested in any development project in this city to break free from this stereotype retirement image and this website is very good at showing we are slowly progressing forward and stagnant no more :D

Diamond
High Rise Poster!

#36 Post by Diamond » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:31 am

AG wrote:All these name changes are going to start getting confusing soon if more people start doing it, lol. Okay, other than these 3, who else has changed names?

beamer85 ---> Ben
Cruise Control ---> Cruise
normangerman ---> Norman
Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! :lol:
Formerly known as Diamondov
Vladimir Putin - TIME Magazine's Man Of The Year 2007

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#37 Post by skyliner » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:24 pm

skyliner wrote:I guess it's my turn.

I've always had questions as to who is who etc so I'll put in my part.

I was born in Mt. Gambier way back in 1951 - so a genuine South Aussie. I lived i Adelaide 12 years. I live near Brisbane now (85Km out) am married withh a couple of grown up kids. Became a Christian in 1974. I'm a humanities teacher in a secondary school here. (Ipswich - pop. 136000) I'm in a Christian rock band - play 12 string accoustic and electic lead - blues orientated.Started this in 1967.

I developed a huge interest in SAR from about 1958 - have seen most of Webb's steam locos, the RX's and many others.
Wrote a book about SAR broad gauge steam locos in 1974. Also have seen the old MTT trams in operation.

I also got very interested in Adelaide, architecture, building and construction around 1974 and this has never abated - I've collected a wealth of info on the place, and walked the streets for development from 1974. (thought I was the ONLY one with such an 'odd' interest - or so I was told). Got onto this site Oct.2006. Fantastic!!! Nearly 1000 others with similar interests. Info on the site is remarkable, accurate and from a wealth of creditable sources.

Am designing a CBD development map for the CBD section (to cover ALL proposals, approved and U/C over 10 floors).

Looking forward to interacting with you guys.

ADELAIDE - A CITY ON THE MOVE
Sorry, I forgot to mention my name as John. 'Skyliner' is my code as it brings to mind - as inferred- city skylines.
(particularly Adelaide's). I am also a self confessed junkie for high rise, but with exemplary architecture.
Jack.

LAYGO
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#38 Post by LAYGO » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:09 pm

HI all, Im from Adelaide.. Great State by the way!!..
We run the LAYGO Shop here in Adelaide down at the Port Adelaide markets.. and weve found we have people from all over visiting there.. YES even from other states. Hopefully more and more people will hear about us and come and visit this fine state more often!.. :D

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#39 Post by Omicron » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:18 pm

AtD wrote:Since there's a lot of these sort of posts going on in the construction threads, I thought it'd be a good idea to give people somewhere more appropriate (and less spammy) to come out lurking in the shadows.

So, uh, to get the ball rolling. I'm Adam, I've been on SSC since 2002 (I was in high school then!). I'm an Economics graduate and currently work for a large super fund as a pleb. I'll be moving to Canberra next month to start a new job with the ABS, and leave my beloved Adelaide behind to go into the big wide world. I've been interested in the urban environment since, well, forever, and I think it's fantastic how things are finally taking off in this town!

Who's next?

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#40 Post by Wayno » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:29 pm

sorry, did not realise this thread existed...my turn...

Wayno, this is your life!
ThisIsYourLife.jpg
ThisIsYourLife.jpg (17.33 KiB) Viewed 7446 times
that's not me - it's Mike Munro! just in case you were wondering

Born 1966 in Adelaide (41yo). Went to Darlington Primary & Seacombe High (in that order :)). Dutch/Scottish family background.

After high-school started an electrician apprenticeship with SAR (Australian National) and ended up working with them for 10 years in a variety of places (islington, nullarbor, dry creek, head office at Richmond) doing a variety of things (workshop electrician, signal design office, IT department as programmer, and lastly as an IT Project Mgr)

Moved to Sydney for 12 years. Worked for some big companies (AGL, Sydney Water, Macqaurie Bank, Cisco Systems) and a couple of small dotcom companies that self-destructed. Got married - have a 10yo daughter. Moved back to Adelaide in 2005 (sick of the rat race, Sydney is sooo overrated and most people, although nice, are property & money mad).

Now working as an ISO 9001 (Quality) & ISO 14001 (Environmental) Auditor. I cover all of Asia for a couple of companies and travel O.S. about 10 times a year. Get to see lots of fantastic things! so cool. and i love the work too :D

I enjoy life, family & friends (esp hanging with 2 friends i've known since kindergarten), conversation, music, beer, wine, hard licquer!, food, travel, women (snigger), mowing my lawn (what's left of it), reading, playing with my 20m long scalextric set, competition 8-ball, stayin out late, sleepin in late, jogging, and of course i love Adelaide! <breaks into song>
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#41 Post by Norman » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:10 pm

Gee, I hope my life will be as interesting as that :shock:

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#42 Post by Howie » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:20 pm

Some interesting career changes there Wayno.. thanks for sharing that and introducing yourself to us.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#43 Post by Cruise » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:47 am

Hi, my name is Joe and I work at the button factory.
I have a wife and a family.
One day my boss, He said "Joe."
I said, "What?"
"Are you busy?"
I said, "No."
"Can you press this button with your RIGHT hand?"
"Can you press this button with your LEFT hand?"
"Can you press this button with your RIGHT leg?"
"Can you press this button with your LEFT leg?"

The next day my boss, he said "Joe, are you busy?"
I said "YES!!!"

Omicron