Beer Garden

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Beer Garden

#586 Post by crawf » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:53 pm

Look what we have on SSC today ;)

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#587 Post by Brando » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:16 pm

Good work Crawf..

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#588 Post by jk1237 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:12 pm

great work on the banner Crawf

Can anyone please help. I know nothing about computers and a horrible virus has attacked my computer yesterday while on SSC. Im now at the state library. Does anyone know of a good comp repairer to take it to. Im too scared to turn it on caus its doing weirdo things and my windows background has turned into a huge warning label and a scanning thing wants to happen that Ive never seen before. Ive now turned my modem off :( :( :( :(

The worst thing about this is how much Ive realised my life is reliant on the internet

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#589 Post by Will » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:22 pm

crawf wrote:Look what we have on SSC today ;)

Sorry to be pedantic but I would have liked a more recent photo. That photo is from 2001.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#590 Post by AtD » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:34 pm

Hah, yes. I didn't notice the Santos sign is still up until you said that.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#591 Post by Will » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:58 pm

AtD wrote:Hah, yes. I didn't notice the Santos sign is still up until you said that.
There are more clues that reveal the age of the photo. First, Horizon, Unilodge (Spark), CCT1 and the Bob Hawke Building are all missing. Also, observe that the AMP building still has the AMP signage. The NAB building has its old sign, the Grenfell Centre does not have it's Oracle sign, Hooker House is still brown, and Bradford House still has the 'Colonial' sign.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#592 Post by jk1237 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:38 pm

my computer is back in town :D :D :D :D It had some nasty viruses that have now been cured. Went to the state library twice over the past week to use the internet there. I must say its quite a community atmosphere playing on the internet at the library. But has anyone else noticed the rather grumpy security guards. Libraries generally dont attract ferals so why they have so many guards is beyond me, and they could be a bit happier :D

BTW our state art gallery is just brilliant. Its amazing how we have so many huge paintings that are over 400 years old. I loved it so much I was tempted to become a member. Ive been to many of the galleries in France and Italy, and ours is right up there with them.

The museum I found a bit dull, oh well

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#593 Post by monotonehell » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:08 pm

'strue JK. Our gallery is a good gallery. There's many treasures if you know where to look and what you're looking at. There's been a few objects in there that I've looked at and was surprised that we had one (or more) in Adelaide.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#594 Post by crawf » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:45 pm

Will wrote:
AtD wrote:Hah, yes. I didn't notice the Santos sign is still up until you said that.
There are more clues that reveal the age of the photo. First, Horizon, Unilodge (Spark), CCT1 and the Bob Hawke Building are all missing. Also, observe that the AMP building still has the AMP signage. The NAB building has its old sign, the Grenfell Centre does not have it's Oracle sign, Hooker House is still brown, and Bradford House still has the 'Colonial' sign.
Yes its a old photo, however only a Adelaidian would be able to notice those differences. The skyline has hardly changed in the last 20 years

BTW Horizon is hiding behind the Hyatt.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#595 Post by Norman » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:56 pm

Can anyone explain to me the difference between a Freeway and an Expressway?

Prince George
Legendary Member!

#596 Post by Prince George » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:06 pm

Norman wrote:Can anyone explain to me the difference between a Freeway and an Expressway?
I believe that's one of those "depends on where you're asking about" questions, but Wikipedia quotes this distinction:
In the United States, an expressway is defined by the federal government’s Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices as a divided highway with partial control of access. In contrast, a freeway is defined as a divided highway with full control of access. The difference between partial and full access control is that expressways may have a limited number of driveways and at-grade intersections (thus making them a form of high-speed arterial road), while access to freeways is allowed only at grade-separated interchanges. Expressways under this definition do not conform to interstate highway standards (which ban all driveways and at-grade intersections) and are therefore usually numbered as state highways or U.S. highways.
And when an expressway is landscaped, it becomes a "parkway", which gives us the old saw: around here, we drive on the parkway and park on the driveway. Ho ho ho!

One other thing that I've noticed over here is that they tend to use the word "Way" in the manner that we would "Road" - to name important multi-lane arterials. So we've got Stone Way, Bellevue Way, Denny Way, Sandpoint Way, Alaskan Way (which is elevated) - all of which, especially those last two, would have been "road" in Australia. Off the top of my head, I can't recall any roads/streets that have actually had "Road" in their name ...

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#597 Post by monotonehell » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:39 pm

There's Bellevue Redmond Road that runs past Microsoft's campus. Redmond's kinda near Seatle, ne? :roll:
I think "road" in the US is reserved for longish stretches of single carriage that tend to go from one place to another. at least the ones that haven't been turned into parkways, highways, drives or ways.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#598 Post by Omicron » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:32 pm

Considering that the US is the Land of the Brand, I'm surprised that so much of it has degenerated into a dull sea of South-West Forty-Second Street North and the like. Street names are much more fun!

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#599 Post by Cruise » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:38 pm

Norman wrote:Can anyone explain to me the difference between a Freeway and an Expressway?

They are spelt different

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#600 Post by Shuz » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:06 pm

Well, If that's the only difference, I'd rather all our "expressways" just be called freeways then. Northern Freeway, Southern Freeway, Port River Freeway, South-Eastern Freeway. I like the geographical simplicity of our freeway names.