Beer Garden

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Beer Garden

#31 Post by Omicron » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:39 am

crawf wrote:I was meant to go out last night though because I'm going to Mildura this weekend for a birthday and Darwin in 3 weeks time, I thought I better have a quiet one and save myself some money. Plus I had a big one on saturday :P
I've tried saving money by telling myself to stay home on weekends.

I fail every time. :wink:

Omicron

#32 Post by Omicron » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:43 am

To update all and sundry on my eating habits, hot cross buns are where the party's at!

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#33 Post by crawf » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:02 pm

Quite random this.

But I was just looking at downtown Los Angeles on google earth and omg I have never seen so many carparks in my life. There are literally thousands of them all around the so called CBD!, the city area looks like a complete disgrace.

I would hate to live LA. I wouldn't mind living in New York but definitely not Los Angeles.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#34 Post by Wayno » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:17 pm

crawf wrote:Quite random this.

But I was just looking at downtown Los Angeles on google earth and omg I have never seen so many carparks in my life. There are literally thousands of them all around the so called CBD!, the city area looks like a complete disgrace.

I would hate to live LA. I wouldn't mind living in New York but definitely not Los Angeles.
yep L.A. is the epitomy of car-dependent urban sprawl...and their CBD has very limited appeal. population is about 20mil i think.

[edit] whoops, only 4mil people in LA...16mil must haved moved out recently :-)
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#35 Post by monotonehell » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:05 pm

Wayno wrote:

yep L.A. is the epitomy of car-dependent urban sprawl...and their CBD has very limited appeal. population is about 20mil i think.

[edit] whoops, only 4mil people in LA...16mil must haved moved out recently :-)
But of course their near neighbours like Orange County, San Bernardino County, Riverside County and Ventura County are all pretty much the same contiguous area of srawl.

LA is the flattest sprawliest city I've been to. Take an image of the southern suburbs along South Road and extend that unplanned capitalist melange of shops, industry and single dwelling residential blocks and extend it as far as you can imagine, and then some, then add the spaghetti of a major freeway system where EVERYONE drives their own car (usually all by them self) and you might have half a clue of what a big flat samey pancake of an urban nightmare LA is.

The only area with much high rise is the old Fox Backlot. Where 20th Century Fox sold off their large backlot post earthquake proofing highrise was invented by the Japanese. That area has some tall buildings.

Now the counties are struggling with the impact of 50 years of freeways. Everytime they added to the system, demand grew to meet capacity. Build it and they will drive on it. So now they're trying to shoehorn PT into a sprawl with minor success. They're running light rail down the middle of some freeways for example. The State's (California) looking into a fast heavy rail system to link San Francisco with the Fresno valley area and LA and San Diego. It's a fun time to be in LA with all this talk of capital works now that the glint of liberal capitalism is tarnishing.

That said, I love Anaheim due to Disneyland ;)
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#36 Post by AtD » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:33 pm

Altho not as bad, Canberra is the same.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#37 Post by Shuz » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:01 pm

Canberra is basically a mini-LA. Just be glad that only 400,000 people live there, otherwise the city would have even more freeways and sprawl as it already has. Its CBD is also a carpark haven, not pleasing on the eye. But again, its a funny city. They have a freeway in mid-city, at peak hour only about 2 cars drive on it every minute... quite hilarious actually, it renders it useless.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#38 Post by monotonehell » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:04 pm

Shuz wrote:Canberra is basically a mini-LA. Just be glad that only 400,000 people live there, otherwise the city would have even more freeways and sprawl as it already has. Its CBD is also a carpark haven, not pleasing on the eye. But again, its a funny city. They have a freeway in mid-city, at peak hour only about 2 cars drive on it every minute... quite hilarious actually, it renders it useless.
They also go around in great circles there. ;)

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#39 Post by AtD » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:09 pm

Canberra housing is actually quite dense, there's a lot more apartments and flats than Adelaide. But there's stupid "Open Urban Space" zones EVERYWHERE. If you thought the parklands were big empty nothings, you should come to Canberra. They let cows graze in some of them, so I don't understand what exactly they're supposed to achieve other than make walking from A to B impossible.

And as for circles, only in the city centre. Circles are too logical, most roads just do pointless zig zags to no-where. It's like Golden Grove on steriods.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#40 Post by monotonehell » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:26 pm

AtD wrote:Canberra housing is actually quite dense, there's a lot more apartments and flats than Adelaide. But there's stupid "Open Urban Space" zones EVERYWHERE. If you thought the parklands were big empty nothings, you should come to Canberra. They let cows graze in some of them, so I don't understand what exactly they're supposed to achieve other than make walking from A to B impossible.

And as for circles, only in the city centre. Circles are too logical, most roads just do pointless zig zags to no-where. It's like Golden Grove on steriods.
It makes it very pretty to fly into and quite unique as a Nation's Capital in the World. :)

Omicron

#41 Post by Omicron » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:29 pm

Job-hunting is maddening.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#42 Post by Shuz » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:33 pm

Omicron wrote:Job-hunting is maddening.
Are you looking for work as well? I've been at it for 3 weeks now and its driving me insane.

Omicron

#43 Post by Omicron » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:35 pm

Shuz wrote:
Are you looking for work as well? I've been at it for 3 weeks now and its driving me insane.
Yes. I'm well and truly tired of my humble retail job and its utterly useless hours, and now I just want to get out there and use my degree.

What sort of things are you looking for?

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#44 Post by monotonehell » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:46 pm

Omicron wrote:
Shuz wrote:
Yes. I'm well and truly tired of my humble retail job and its utterly useless hours, and now I just want to get out there and use my degree.

As of last week I'm also looking. :| I'm with Omi, retail sucks. I'm determined to get me a boring office job. :lol:

Omicron

#45 Post by Omicron » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:49 pm

monotonehell wrote:
Omicron wrote:
Shuz wrote:

As of last week I'm also looking. :| I'm with Omi, retail sucks. I'm determined to get me a boring office job. :lol:
Don't go stealing my jobs!