Adelaide - The Christmas City

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Adelaide - The Christmas City

#16 Post by Ben » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:46 am

Wow. I've never seen that on buildings before. I wonder how they do it and who pays for it. I guess soon we will have Rundle Convergence which would no doubt have something festive at Christmas time.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#17 Post by Ben » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:20 pm

AtD wrote:Image
ATD Posted this from last Christmas.

Would be good to have a few more lit up. Maybe a big lit Christmas Tree like what is on top of the Gawler Place canopy on top of the Oracle building would look good.

.::G!oRgOs::.
Gold-Member ;)

#18 Post by .::G!oRgOs::. » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:12 pm

Ben wrote:I'm not sure what your getting at Edgar? How can you say the city is dead at Christmas time have you been in here? it is like Kaos.
I have been.
Last Christmas Eve I went out for dinner on Rundle St - big mistake.
I cannot believe how dead it was.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#19 Post by Howie » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:35 pm

.::G!oRgOs::. wrote:
Ben wrote:I'm not sure what your getting at Edgar? How can you say the city is dead at Christmas time have you been in here? it is like Kaos.
I have been.
Last Christmas Eve I went out for dinner on Rundle St - big mistake.
I cannot believe how dead it was.
Christmas Eve's normally the time you spend with your family... i'm surprised anything's open at all that night.

Bulldozer
High Rise Poster!

#20 Post by Bulldozer » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:39 pm

Howie wrote:Christmas Eve's normally the time you spend with your family... i'm surprised anything's open at all that night.
You need to get down to Willunga then! The bottom pub (The Alma) is an absolute madhouse on Christmas Eve. :)

Diamond
High Rise Poster!

#21 Post by Diamond » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:11 pm

Bulldozer wrote:
Howie wrote:Christmas Eve's normally the time you spend with your family... i'm surprised anything's open at all that night.
You need to get down to Willunga then! The bottom pub (The Alma) is an absolute madhouse on Christmas Eve. :)
Isn't The Alma in Norwood?
Vladimir Putin - TIME Magazine's Man Of The Year 2007

Bulldozer
High Rise Poster!

#22 Post by Bulldozer » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:40 am

Diamond wrote:Isn't The Alma in Norwood?
There's one there as well, but I can't say if it's packed on Christmas Eve and it's probably safe to say the one at Willunga has been around longer.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#23 Post by Will » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:05 pm

It is a sad reflection on our society that people feel the urge to go shopping on Christmas day. :cry:

frank1
Donating Member
Donating Member

#24 Post by frank1 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:30 pm

Just caught onto me that christmas is just around the corner and i'm finished uni for the year. Nothing but 3 whole months of daytime tv and spaghettio's :mrgreen:

Al
VIP Member
VIP Member

#25 Post by Al » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:43 pm

Will wrote:It is a sad reflection on our society that people feel the urge to go shopping on Christmas day. :cry:
Sorry Will but being non-Christian, I don't see this day as being much more than just another public holiday. Whilst I respect the day for what it means to Christians and I even try to get into the spirit of things, I have no reservations or ill feelings about my desire to shop on this day. Same goes for Sundays and Easter.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#26 Post by Will » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:35 pm

Al wrote:
Will wrote:It is a sad reflection on our society that people feel the urge to go shopping on Christmas day. :cry:
Sorry Will but being non-Christian, I don't see this day as being much more than just another public holiday. Whilst I respect the day for what it means to Christians and I even try to get into the spirit of things, I have no reservations or ill feelings about my desire to shop on this day. Same goes for Sundays and Easter.
Nothing will happen to you if you stop shopping for one day. 8)

Al
VIP Member
VIP Member

#27 Post by Al » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:36 pm

True. I just don't feel guilty if I need to though.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#28 Post by Will » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:19 pm

Al wrote:True. I just don't feel guilty if I need to though.
My opposition to the opening of shops on Christmas and similar days, is because there are still millions of Australians who are Christian, and therefore it would be unfair and cruel to make them work on such a special day, when they would rather spend time with their families and friends. However I understand where you are coming from.

Al
VIP Member
VIP Member

#29 Post by Al » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:56 pm

Yeah that's a fair call. I wouldn't want anyone to be forced into that situation just so the retailer can make a dollar. Believe me, I enjoy the breaks just as much as the next person.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#30 Post by Will » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:02 pm

From the ACC:
Construction begins on City’s huge Christmas tree

Print this Page
Released: 16 Nov 2007 [12.00am] Send to a Friend

Construction of the State’s largest Christmas tree begins in Victoria Square this weekend, and its progress will be able to be viewed live via webcam.

The Adelaide City Council Christmas tree will reach a stunning 80 feet, or more than 24 metres, making it approximately the same height as an eight storey building.

The construction effort will begin this Saturday 17 November, and will take about a week to complete.

“The huge Christmas tree in Victoria Square has, over time, become an Adelaide icon,” said Lord Mayor Michael Harbison.

“It is one of the landmarks that people look for at Christmas time in the City, along with the giant Santa in the Mall.

“It is an added bonus that people can watch the Christmas tree come together over Council’s webcam, live from their homes or work places,” said Mr Harbison.

People will be able to observe the Christmas tree construction at the following web page: http://www.cityofadelaide.com.au/adelaidexmastree. This image updates every five seconds.

Mr Harbison said the construction will be a massive project, with not only the tree to assemble, but also more than three kilometres of lights to wrap around its entire width.

“It will be the tallest Christmas tree you’ll see. It will truly be a clear Christmas beacon for the City.”

Adelaide has a unique affection for Christmas trees, as Queen Adelaide, after whom Adelaide takes it name, was the first person to introduce Christmas trees to England.

The many lights on the huge tree will be switched on at Adelaide City Council’s Christmas in the City event on 1 December.