Waiting Lists

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
PhilM
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Waiting Lists

#1 Post by PhilM » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:07 pm

Am I the only one who thinks it is a stain on this Government that just $13.4 Million was enough to wipe the 12 month waiting list out?

We all know the State Governement is flush with cash from the GST and they even rake in more than that from speed cameras yet they don't feel it prudent to address the fundamental societal challenge of providing health to the people?

They will argue it is not their problem, the Feds will argue it is. The point is it only took $13.4 Million Dollars for god sakes!

Even the now resting SA Asset Management Corporation has $65 Million sitting in a shoebox waiting to be swallowed by General Revenue!

WAKE UP SOUTH AUSTRALIA !

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Waiting Lists

#2 Post by Pants » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:16 pm

Isn't there some sort of forum for politically disaffected whingers you can promote your anti-ALP agenda on?

It's getting boring.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#3 Post by Shuz » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:29 pm

I mean this in the nicest way possible.

Be quiet, ramble to your shrink, and spare us the crap. Please.

Its insanely annoying. So annoying in fact, I'd rather listen to a TransAdelaide operator on the voicebox.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4 Post by crawf » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:28 pm

Wake up South Australia?

From what I saw, SA got its fair share of money (same for the other states).

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#5 Post by rev » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:08 pm

It's a short term fix, to get things moving in the right direction. Hence only $13.4 million for SA. Its part of a bigger, wider national plan by the federal government to reform health care in this country.
Although I'm sure you will find something to complain about then too. I'm curious, did you complain about Howard's inaction on health? Would you like to take the opportunity now, because a large part of what's wrong in this country in many areas, can be attributed to his governments of previous 11 years.

If you bothered to take the blinkers off, you'd be aware what our state government has done.
Recruited more nurses into our hospitals and aged care facilities. Surely you can see the benefit in more nurses?
Upgraded QEH. Big plus from someone living in the west/north west suburbs.
Announced plans to replace the ageing RAH.
Indeed, do wake up South Australia. You might also notice we have more police officers these days.

Now find me a government that is without flaws, and I'll become a member of the Liberal Party.

As for stains on governments, should you not direct such criticism to the previous federal government? Surely, with all the GST revenue they rake in(they introduced it, remember), they could have spared 13.4 million dollars for hospital waiting lists in South Australia?

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by AtD » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:18 pm

But Rev, the ALP should just wave their magic wand and make all the problems go away (without the Senate, I might add). They've had a whole two months to do it, that's ages!

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#7 Post by Cruise » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:58 am

AtD wrote:But Rev, the ALP should just wave their magic wand and make all the problems go away (without the Senate, I might add). They've had a whole two months to do it, that's ages!
I expected petrol for 50 cents a litre and interest rates at 2% by now

Bulldozer
High Rise Poster!

#8 Post by Bulldozer » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:31 am

PhilM raises an entirely valid point. All the pissing and moaning about waiting lists and wanting more and more and more federal money for health when all of sudden less than $15 million is going to fix it? Isn't the state budget meant to be in surplus? Isn't the Rann government for more health funding? Where is the GST and stamp duty windfall going and couldn't they have afforded $15 million for the hospitals?

PhilM
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#9 Post by PhilM » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:54 am

Thanks Bulldozer.

It is curious my comments are attributed to anti ALP, go figure. I have asked what the hell was the former federal Liberal Government doing to allow things to get that bad? I suggest Howard’s legacy was simply that he held on when he could have done so much for this country.

I am simply an informed South Australian who has had enough of the manipulative and deceptive spin delivered by the Government. I am also sick to death of ignorant fools who simply launch into uninformed personal attacks because they feel the truth being spoken may impinge on their agenda's. Is this a site that aspires to a better SA or is its agenda to simply talk up every issue regardless of the underlying truth?

Rev may as well be a Govt spin doctor because he seems to love them short term fixes and shun the facts. How long is the short term rev one electoral cycle? Maybe we should get the number plate “SA – The Band Aid State.” Obviously he has not spoken to the nurses, doctors or police officers who will all tell him although there may be a few more people in the job all they are doing is paperwork and administration. We need more policing not more police sitting at desks. My son broke his arm playing basketball and was told there would be a SIX hour wait at Modbury Hospital last week so they gave him Panadol and sent him home! That is not busy, that is under-resourced, that is shameful and no amount of public relations can suggest otherwise.

Sure I bleat about WorkCover but that is because I am aware of the true situation and see it quickly deteriorating into the biggest challenge facing this state which again I thought was consistent with the intention of the forum.

So if the clowns attacking me want to paint me anti anything, paint me as anti Apathy or anti Government Spin because I would gladly wear those badges.

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#10 Post by Pants » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:51 pm

This site is for measured, reasoned debate no matter what your political allegiance or whether you are pro or anti development.

Everyone realises it's not all good news. Some seek to focus on the positives, others temper this by mentioning the reality that we don't have a perfect, transparent government or perfect, transparent process.

What they don't do is take every opportunity, regardless of how remote the link to the thread topic or how remote the thread on what is essentially a forum about property and infrastructure development, to post sensationalist anti-government ramblings.

Seeing past government spin doesn't make you unique on here. Choosing to point it out at every opportunity does... for all the wrong reasons.

PhilM
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#11 Post by PhilM » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:09 pm

Well forgive me for pointing out that the Emperor is actually not wearing any clothes when it is appropriate to do so especially when some fool comments on the quality of the linen in his suit or the fine shoes he is wearing! (That was a metaphor and not a shot at Rann but a comment as to the situation the State is in)

You also conveniently overlook other posts I make about what I think we need to do to get it right. I am neither labor nor liberal, pro or anti development, I just aspire to live in a society where everyone's views matter and the ones that fall are not trodden into the ground and hidden under the spin. If in doing that we can create a city and infrastructure that is truly liveable yet pays some homage to where we came from then all the better.

I choose not to overlook the obvious in my fervour to gush on about the positives we have in this state.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#12 Post by rev » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:58 pm

Bulldozer, you miss the point entirely.
This money, part of $150 million that was divided between the states and territories, is not intended to be the cure for our hospital waiting lists. Its only going, and meant to, to get things moving in the right direction, and hopefully, when all is said and done, we will have a first class hospital/health care system nation wide.

Liberal party banshees, who are popping up whining about how it only took 13.4 million to fix waiting lists, are doing so with the intent on misleading people, by only stating part of the story, part of the facts.
And its pretty obvious PhilM, that you are, a Liberal party supporter. You are complaining that its only taken 13.4 million from the new Labor federal government, yet, why aren't you complaining that the previous Liberal federal government, did not manage to find 13.4 million to give to the SA state government? You mentioned elsewhere I think, that this state government has raked in lots of revenue from the GST, but you forget to tell people that the Federal Government also collects revenue from the GST, far more then the state government does I believe. I ask you, why did John Howard not find 13.4 million to hand to SA? :roll:

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#13 Post by SRW » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:50 am

PhilM wrote:We all know the State Governement is flush with cash from the GST and they even rake in more than that from speed cameras yet they don't feel it prudent to address the fundamental societal challenge of providing health to the people?
The claim that SA is "flush with cash" has been responded to before, so I'll simply say bullshit and refer you here and here.
PhilM wrote:I am simply an informed South Australian who has had enough of the manipulative and deceptive spin delivered by the Government. I am also sick to death of ignorant fools who simply launch into uninformed personal attacks because they feel the truth being spoken may impinge on their agenda's. Is this a site that aspires to a better SA or is its agenda to simply talk up every issue regardless of the underlying truth?

Rev may as well be a Govt spin doctor because he seems to love them short term fixes and shun the facts.
You have not been informed or civil. You seriously state that the state raises more from its speed cameras than from its almost 3.9 billion dollar GST reciept? And that the Rann Government has done absolutely nothing in the areas of "police, education, families, public and private transport" and others? You might attempt argue that they haven't done enough or done it right, but to claim they've done nothing and to spread falsities is absolute tosh and blatant politicking. Do some research before posting, and certainly before you claim to be informed. What's more, don't lament being personally attacked and then immediately procede to launch an ad hominen. Plain hypocrisy.
rev wrote:You mentioned elsewhere I think, that this state government has raked in lots of revenue from the GST, but you forget to tell people that the Federal Government also collects revenue from the GST, far more then the state government does I believe. I ask you, why did John Howard not find 13.4 million to hand to SA?
To be fair, Rev, the Commonwealth collects all GST revenue and distributes it entirely to the states. It does not keep any for itself. But your question as to why Howard didn't give funding to the states is absolutely valid one considering that the Commonwealth has a far, far greater revenue resource than the states.
Keep Adelaide Weird

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#14 Post by AtD » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:17 am

SRW, PhilM has been banned. Don't bother.