Are residents outside of Adelaide CBD scared of heights?

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
eKwatee
High Rise Poster!

Are residents outside of Adelaide CBD scared of heights?

#1 Post by eKwatee » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:27 am

I just dont get height restrictions in the suburbs outside Adelaide CBD. All we see & here in the media is development proposals continuesly being knocked back due to height restrictions. I think councils think we residents who live outside of the CBD are scared of heights. I believe in planning laws controlling certain areas but surely there are some areas outside the CBD that would be more than suitable for 8-10 storey (or even higher) residential high rises or mixed use developemts.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Are residents outside of Adelaide CBD scared of heights?

#2 Post by Wayno » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:11 am

eKwatee wrote:I just dont get height restrictions in the suburbs outside Adelaide CBD. All we see & here in the media is development proposals continuesly being knocked back due to height restrictions. I think councils think we residents who live outside of the CBD are scared of heights. I believe in planning laws controlling certain areas but surely there are some areas outside the CBD that would be more than suitable for 8-10 storey (or even higher) residential high rises or mixed use developemts.
Hey EKwatee, this is an interesting proposal - did you have any specific suburbs or areas in mind?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3 Post by jk1237 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:42 am

a few months ago my council rang me for a survey (Norwood, Pynhm, St P). One of the questions was on what I would like to see built in the area. I said some med or high density housing in parts of Norwood and Kent Town. I then said I guess Im the only person suggesting this. The phone lady said, well actually, every 2nd person has suggested this.
Therefore it seems we are bowing to a bunch of senile elderly nimbys who appear to think that buildings of over 2 storeys will cause them a stroke or heart attack. Going up, instead of going out, will not detract from Adelaides suburbs, it will enhance them. Kent Town is one of those suburbs where apartments of up to 15 storeys would work. Also at Modbury around the interchange/TTP, and at Marion, in between Oaklands station and shopping centre

eKwatee
High Rise Poster!

#4 Post by eKwatee » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:18 pm

I agree with jk1237. Modbury being so close to a large retail precinct and so many 20-30 somethings that grew up in the area would definitely be interested in purchasing this type of living. I think any suburb needing urban renewel around a large Commercial precint should consider this sort of living.
Why North Adelaide residents are complaining about the proposed development on the new Lecornu's site and Gilberton residents on the old channel 7 site. It just seems the old residents of communities are quick to complain when ever someone puts forth a good concept that would work well and councilers side with them because they are the only people to turn up to vote when they need to be re-elected. Wouldn't Adelaide's perimiter have just a little bit more vibe if we had more Air apartments and Brewery Apartments and Sky at North Adelaide but unless it's a conversion from an existing building its useless. I live in Mawson lakes central where they can build new apartment buildings up to 5 stories with the lower level being commercial. All the apartments are under $300k and finished to a high spec and everythings close by, shops, Hotels, cafes, specialty shops and it works really well. I think come 20-30 years time well all look back and say well didn't we waste all that prime land so close to the city.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#5 Post by pushbutton » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:00 pm

I think you must have missed the threads on this forum relating to multi-storey residential and commercial development in the suburbs.

Look them up, or better yet go for a drive to the following places:
Mawson Lakes
Port Adelaide
Glenelg

All these suburbs have plenty of multi-storey development, and I'm certain there will be more to come in future years.

So the answer to the question is no!

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#6 Post by crawf » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:07 pm

and...

- West Lakes
- Keswick
- I guess Bedford Park (Flinders Uni)

Though Mawson Lakes is a great example.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#7 Post by Cruise » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:33 pm

There not afraid of heights..... just change

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#8 Post by skyliner » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:25 pm

Here's a little anecdotal story all the way from Anzac Hwy concerning this.

Once, not so very long ago, there was an intersection between Anzac Hwy and Winifred Ave. Now if you look almost opposite this, you will see a series of HIGHER THAN USUAL bldgs. One day, the tallest, 9 floors, was almost finished.

Soon night came and out came the nimbies from far and wide, looking left and right before they performed their dastardly deed. A little army gathered equipped with tools of war. Into the property they ran, as swift as their little legs would carry them. They ran up the stairs and emerged on the top, brandishing in defiance their weapons of destruction. Noise was heard, people looked round - not up - as you see hi rise was foreign to the mind. These people could see nothing and so retired to their abodes.The army let loose. Down came the bricks, down came the walls, down came cement.Down, down, down!!! After the 'feeding frenzy', the nimbies quickly melted away into the night, not to be seen or persued.

Next day, the builders come, the media come, the onlookers come - what a scene - mess everywhere- very untidy! The top floor was in a rather unhealthy condition ....and in the news the nimbies read of their victory.

True story! I saw the results - living in Winifred Ave and being right into building and development then, as now. When - 1982 - and I suspect still relevant. Not as remote an idea as might be thought. Very high feelings running in this. Hence, in answer to the thread title, yes!
Jack.

eKwatee
High Rise Poster!

#9 Post by eKwatee » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:49 pm

pushbutton wrote:I think you must have missed the threads on this forum relating to multi-storey residential and commercial development in the suburbs.

Look them up, or better yet go for a drive to the following places:
Mawson Lakes
Port Adelaide
Glenelg

All these suburbs have plenty of multi-storey development, and I'm certain there will be more to come in future years.

So the answer to the question is no!
I live in Mawson Lakes Central in one of the apartment complexes you mentioned and think the concept is great but I still think a 5 storey restriction is too low. I have seen Port adelaide - 8 Stories, I think this is to low - look at the Docklands. Then Glenelg.... way to low - look at the Gold Coast & Coogee etc. The height restrictions outside of Adelaide's CBS seem to be low compared to other suburbs outside the other cities. Whats wrong with 10 storey complexes in North Adelaide or 15 storey complexes at the Port or Glenelg. We dont need to go to extremes like the Gold Coast but I believe the prime locations like Glenelg and the Port are being wasted by only building to the levels they have.

Mawen
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#10 Post by Mawen » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:18 pm

I think people are not scared - I really think, innvotation and change scares the living day lights out of so many.

As for height, i have argued time and time again. It is not height that bothers me; it is functionality and entertainment. Sure, we advocate for high rise apartments - but that is well and good for those yuppies that can afford it. Bring on unique buildings that will give Adelaide entertainment and distinction for all to enjoy.

Apartments YES

but

Entertaining - Equal Sharing Buildings - Double YES
Work It

Omicron

#11 Post by Omicron » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:22 am

skyliner wrote:Here's a little anecdotal story all the way from Anzac Hwy concerning this.

Once, not so very long ago, there was an intersection between Anzac Hwy and Winifred Ave. Now if you look almost opposite this, you will see a series of HIGHER THAN USUAL bldgs. One day, the tallest, 9 floors, was almost finished.

Soon night came and out came the nimbies from far and wide, looking left and right before they performed their dastardly deed. A little army gathered equipped with tools of war. Into the property they ran, as swift as their little legs would carry them. They ran up the stairs and emerged on the top, brandishing in defiance their weapons of destruction. Noise was heard, people looked round - not up - as you see hi rise was foreign to the mind. These people could see nothing and so retired to their abodes.The army let loose. Down came the bricks, down came the walls, down came cement.Down, down, down!!! After the 'feeding frenzy', the nimbies quickly melted away into the night, not to be seen or persued.

Next day, the builders come, the media come, the onlookers come - what a scene - mess everywhere- very untidy! The top floor was in a rather unhealthy condition ....and in the news the nimbies read of their victory.

True story! I saw the results - living in Winifred Ave and being right into building and development then, as now. When - 1982 - and I suspect still relevant. Not as remote an idea as might be thought. Very high feelings running in this. Hence, in answer to the thread title, yes!
If by this post you mean the awful Sorrento Meridien Tower and its neighbours (around Kmart between Marion and South Rds), I must respectfully disagree. Their street frontages are rubbish, and the overall designs are uninspiring and clumsy. I would not blame people for opposing suburban multi-storey development if such examples were all they had seen, and I would hope that future proposals for any suburb looked much less like these Cabrini Green-esque public housing accommodations and more like decent housing.

Omicron

#12 Post by Omicron » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:39 pm

......I sound grumpy. :shock:

skyliner

#13 Post by skyliner » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:42 pm

Not sure of the name - the buildings are not near K mart (further south) and are on the western side of Anzac Hwy between Cross Rd and Sth. Rd. None were all that spectacular but were typical of the time.the group include a 9 floor bldg, a 5 floor bldg and from memory 2 four level bldgs.

The scenario that happened was illegal and inappropriate and did reflect a strong underlying dislike of all buildings over 3 floors at the time. Having just lived next to Kings Cross in Sydney, and being amongst very hi bldgs, I could not see the point of the fuss.

Like someone else has pointed out, hi rise has begun to be more obvious around Adelaide now, but (as evidenced by the 88 O'Connell St fiasco), very strong anti hi rise feelings are still around.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#14 Post by Cruise » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:21 am

Maybe someone should start a new thread entitled "Are residents inside the Adelaide CBD scared of heights?"

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#15 Post by Edgar » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:42 am

or maybe every high rise should preserves their roof top open for public use, to keep every happy?
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.