Rundle Mall - A Smokers' Paradise - No more

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Cruise
Banned
Banned

Re: Rundle Mall - A Smokers' Paradise

#16 Post by Cruise » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:57 am

yeah lets ban smoking um.... EVERYWHERE! then lets ban farting everywhere! then ban bad hair cuts, and then ban people that look at others with funny expressions on their face's, and then ban obese people and..... well i could keep going but I'll stop now.

Joely
High Rise Poster!

#17 Post by Joely » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:55 pm

Well did you guys know that smoking is banned in Queen St Mall in Brisbane. There are signs everywhere with threats of a fine if you're caught. Seems to work ok. Everyone seems happy.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#18 Post by monotonehell » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:28 pm

Joely wrote:Well did you guys know that smoking is banned in Queen St Mall in Brisbane. There are signs everywhere with threats of a fine if you're caught. Seems to work ok. Everyone seems happy.
That's interesting. I'd like to see it in Rundle Mall for the reason I mentioned above about it being your choice to smoke, but not to force it on others. But I was wondering if the fact that you can smoke in Rundle Mall has been a commercial factor as to why the ACC hasn't moved to ban it?
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#19 Post by rev » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:04 pm

Rundle Mall is an open space. It is not against the law to smoke in an open place.
You can not keep expecting laws to be changed because you don't like breathing in smoke from cigarettes(not that I do).
Just like it is a smokers choice to smoke, it is also your choice whether you stand or walk near them or avoid them.
Bloody nanny state we are turning into.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#20 Post by monotonehell » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:00 pm

rev wrote:Rundle Mall is an open space. It is not against the law to smoke in an open place.
You can not keep expecting laws to be changed because you don't like breathing in smoke from cigarettes(not that I do).
Just like it is a smokers choice to smoke, it is also your choice whether you stand or walk near them or avoid them.
Bloody nanny state we are turning into.
Sorry to be blunt, but that's patent rubbish.

If we were talking about wandering into an area where a reasonable person would expect harm then yes. For example wandering into a mine field and complaining that you were blown up. But a public space is for everyone to enjoy their personal freedoms as long as those freedoms don't unreasonably encroach on others' freedoms. Walking down a busy Mall you don't always have a choice exactly where you can and can't walk. You don't always notice that someone walking in front of you is smoking until you get a face full of smoke.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em by all means, but not where the fallout can affect others.

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#21 Post by Omicron » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:04 pm

Cruise wrote:yeah lets ban smoking um.... EVERYWHERE! then lets ban farting everywhere! then ban bad hair cuts, and then ban people that look at others with funny expressions on their face's, and then ban obese people and..... well i could keep going but I'll stop now.
Now, that's what I call thinking!

Mants
Legendary Member!

#22 Post by Mants » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:37 pm

while we're at it, we should ban ALL cars and buses within a 200m radius of Rundle Mall, seeing as they generate excessive amounts of pollutants
:roll:

rundle mall is an outdoor area, i see no reason why smoking should be banned.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#23 Post by monotonehell » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:22 pm

Mants wrote:while we're at it, we should ban ALL cars and buses within a 200m radius of Rundle Mall, seeing as they generate excessive amounts of pollutants
:roll:
I agree! :lol:
Mants wrote:rundle mall is an outdoor area, i see no reason why smoking should be banned.
Indoors and outdoors doesn't make much difference in a crowd. There's other people around who do not wish to breath in their secondary smoke. When someone is in private they can do pretty much what they want. But in a crowded public place there are other people to consider. Same reason why the ban in pubs came in.

Mants
Legendary Member!

#24 Post by Mants » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:13 pm

monotonehell wrote: Indoors and outdoors doesn't make much difference in a crowd. There's other people around who do not wish to breath in their secondary smoke. When someone is in private they can do pretty much what they want. But in a crowded public place there are other people to consider. Same reason why the ban in pubs came in.
this argument makes no sense to me.
say i'm a non smoker and i want to sit in the beer garden at a pub. should the same rule apply there?

rev

#25 Post by rev » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:05 am

Mono your arguments are weak on this issue.
It's an open space, it is not against the law to smoke a cigarette in an open space. It is common sense to avoid smokers if you don't want to breath in their second hand smoke or are easily affected by it.
It is not up to them to put out their cigarette, when they aren't breaking any law, it is up to you to use your common sense and move away from them.

The laws were changed yes, no smoking in pubs clubs, or even in stadiums with roofs. In fact, the law now is that if you want to smoke in a public place, you need to do it in an open space. Such as Rundle Mall.

Hindley Street Alley
Gold-Member ;)

#26 Post by Hindley Street Alley » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:16 am

it is a completely different culture where i am now living in japan.
For example, even McDonald's and KFC have a smoking section!!! no joke. this country is so smoke friendly it's rediculous!!,
although there are some recent exceptions, such as some whole areas/roads in the city where it is considered illegal to smoke, or you'll get an equivalent of a $10 fine or similar, depending on the place...

As for Adelaide
people won't come to the city to smoke just cos they can't smoke inside suburban shopping centres, im from near the TTP and plenty of people smoke just outside the doors and have done for as long as i can remember... i hardly think they are attracted to rundle mall cos you can smoke there!!

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#27 Post by monotonehell » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:29 am

Mants wrote:
monotonehell wrote: Indoors and outdoors doesn't make much difference in a crowd. There's other people around who do not wish to breath in their secondary smoke. When someone is in private they can do pretty much what they want. But in a crowded public place there are other people to consider. Same reason why the ban in pubs came in.
this argument makes no sense to me.
say i'm a non smoker and i want to sit in the beer garden at a pub. should the same rule apply there?
If the beer garden is an area that is specifically set aside as a smoking area then no, a reasonable person would realise that going into an area that is set aside for smoking would expose them to smoke. If, on the other hand, that beer garden was an area for general patronage then yes, patrons should reasonably expect not be exposed to smoke as the area is intended for all to enjoy.

As I said, indoors or outdoors doesn't make much difference when there's a crowd. When an area (like Rundle Mall) is quite busy its not always possible to know where the smokers are going to be. You can't always choose to move away. It's the same thing where anyone needs to congregate. For example at a bus stop or train station, people are compelled to wait for a bus at the bus stop. If someone wants to smoke, it's up to them to move away and downwind from the crowd.
rev wrote:Mono your arguments are weak on this issue.
It's an open space, it is not against the law to smoke a cigarette in an open space. It is common sense to avoid smokers if you don't want to breath in their second hand smoke or are easily affected by it.
It is not up to them to put out their cigarette, when they aren't breaking any law, it is up to you to use your common sense and move away from them.

The laws were changed yes, no smoking in pubs clubs, or even in stadiums with roofs. In fact, the law now is that if you want to smoke in a public place, you need to do it in an open space. Such as Rundle Mall.
See also what I wrote in response to Mants above. Where people are allowed or compelled to congregate, it's not the non-smokers who need to move away, it's the smoker. Both have a right to occupy the space, but it's the smoker who is performing an activity that might affect others adversely and it is them who should take reasonable care not to let their activity affect others.

It doesn't matter what the law says, it's just plain manners.

rev

#28 Post by rev » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:54 pm

This is getting ridiculous, we are just going round in circles here.

You seem to fail to grasp common sense.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#29 Post by monotonehell » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:29 pm

rev wrote:This is getting ridiculous, we are just going round in circles here.

You seem to fail to grasp common sense.
:lol: I was thinking the same thing. Agree to disagree?

Hoops
Donating Member
Donating Member

#30 Post by Hoops » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:39 pm

The thing is people do not have manners anymore. Manners are Dead or at least dying.

Don't Believe me?
A customer (60+ woman with some form of leg disability) was catching a bus that had all its seats taken.)

Bus is apparently full. Her not being able to stand up while its in motion asks a PAC boy to move... He goes... Do I HAVE TO?
She says something along the lines of "well you can move or I'll sit on you" He moves.. But leaves his bag on the seat next to her. A Elderly lady comes in next stop and the first Woman asks him to move his bag he says "to where? I'll have to carry it then"

Yes this is also an example of how the richer you get the more head fucked you are.
But No one has manners anymore.

Sure smoking is a choice and not illegal to be done in open public spaces.

But should you be smoking onto people that choose not to smoke and infact strongly dislike it?.

Sure nonsmokers try and avoid smokers smoke as much as possible but with the amount of people walking in multiple directions its sometimes impossible.