South Australia's Second 'Major' City

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
greenchilli
Sen-Rookie-Sational

South Australia's Second 'Major' City

#1 Post by greenchilli » Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:14 pm

I think one of the reasons South Australia lags behind other states in terms of population, economy and business growth is that we dont have other 'large' areas or locations for buisness and people to go or look to other than Adelaide. We concentrate so much on one city and one area, I think the possibility of all investement or oppurtunity is lost because there are no other possibilities given to explore.

If Mr Rann were to achieve his 2,000,000 South Australians goal by 2050, I think he has to focus this outside of Adelaide rather than in Adelaide, to allow for buisnesses or people to have an option of location. Since the East Coast is the strongest area in terms of economy and population growth, mabye we should do more to improve our links with the East. By doing so, we should look into two options, A: Establishment of a new major regional city which is situated in a good location and closer to the Eastern States. Or B: Redevelopment and Investment in an already existing major city, such as Mount Gambier.

Mount Gambier's location and potential that it contains gives good oppurtunity to look into developing this area into a major regional city or new business centre outside of Adelaide, but within SA borders. With its already existing population of 22,000 - there is much more potential availble to improve on the growth of this area and I can see with the right decsions being made, this could well and truly become an area of 50,000 to 70,000 people.

With stronger links to the East Coast by improving the oppurtunity for a town like Mt Gambier, it is possible that SA can prosper and grow for the future.

Does anyone agree or disagree with this statement? Is it a viable one or not? What are we really missing out on - and what can SA do to grow?

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2 Post by Will » Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:16 pm

I dont think that having a large second city makes a difference to a state's economic prosperity. Look at Western Australia, they don't have a large second city, yet WA has a booming economy and a respectable population growth. Another example is Tasmania, their second city is almost as big as the capital yet the state is stagnating.

However I would like to see the state government invest money in the state's regional cities. Mount Gambier is a beautiful city, and I would really like to see it grow to around 50 000 people. Other potential candidates are Murray Bridge, Victor Harbor and Port Lincoln.

What this state need to do to grow, is to launch a campaign to destroy all the negative stereotypes that exist about the state and in particular Adelaide. I think that all of us have noticed how in the last decade our capital has grown and has become more vibrant and cosmopolitan. Despite Adelaide having the 'large' city vibe, most people in Australia still think of us a quiet, small, backwards and boring. The state government needs to change this negative perception, because if we are going to grow we need to start attracting more young people from the other states and not just retirees. We live in a great city, in a priviliged position of being so close to great beaches and the world class Barossa Valley. Adelaide has to start being promoted as a vibrate city. Terms such as lifestyle, the 20 minute city, big country town and the city of churches should be destroyed. They are negative and make us seem boring.

bdm
High Rise Poster!

#3 Post by bdm » Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:19 pm

Anyone ever been to the Monarto zoo? That was originally going to be our second city...

In the 1970's Adelaide's population was exploding and the government was putting plans into motion to develop our second city there (one of the reasons for the South Eastern Freeway). However, as the population growth tapered off (and then declined :( ) the idea was shelved. The land was sold to a zoo, and Monarto Zoological Park was established.

Adelaide, with proper infrastructure is perfectly placed and the only realistic site for a sizeable settlement in South Australia. I'd love to see us hit 2 million, but too much our population is downright selfish and not having children :/.

Algernon
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#4 Post by Algernon » Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:51 pm

Funny Monarto story - a government employee close to the project bought up huge chunks of land on the Monarto site, hoping to make a killing on it.

Lost his career over it. And was left holding onto useless shit land :lol:

ReallyBad
High Rise Poster!

#5 Post by ReallyBad » Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:04 pm

For SA to prosper and grow, we all need to stop living in the shadow of the Eastern States. We need to stop complaining about everything and just do it.

We also need to dispose of that utter piece of rubbish newspaper we have, and maybe then things will start to happen.

Al
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by Al » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:05 pm

Actually I went to Monarto Zoo about a year ago and I thought it was fantastic with all the roaming animals. We had giraffes coming right up to the tour bus and looking inside the windows! That was before they had lions there! It's worth a look if anyone's got a small interest in animals. As for it being our second city, I think we need to concentrate on maintaining the population of our current one. :)

Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

#7 Post by Tyler_Durden » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:53 pm

I don't think that in this day and age you could just say 'ok, let's put a city right here in the middle of nowhere' and expect it to work. A city has to grow naturally.

In my ideal world, Victor Harbor would be the second city (a couple hundred thousand people would do just nicely) to Adelaide. But it won't ever happen.

Al
VIP Member
VIP Member

#8 Post by Al » Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:30 pm

Tyler_Durden wrote:I don't think that in this day and age you could just say 'ok, let's put a city right here in the middle of nowhere' and expect it to work. A city has to grow naturally.

In my ideal world, Victor Harbor would be the second city (a couple hundred thousand people would do just nicely) to Adelaide. But it won't ever happen.
I wouldn't completely say that it'll never happen. If SA does manage to turn around it's population and starts growing significantly, I don't see why VH won't grow as a result considering the affordability of housing in Adelaide proper. Combined with VH's tourism potential, it may become quite a bit bigger.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#9 Post by Howie » Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:10 pm

Anyone who missed the Channel 9 News report on the latest underpass the other night and wants to download it let me know via pm.

starman
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#10 Post by starman » Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:51 am

Before you know it the Goverments going to have an underpass beneath its feet if they say that one more time.

Waewick

Does the State have a plan for a 2nd "major population hub"?

#11 Post by Waewick » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:58 am

Ok I'm sure people are going to shoot me down for this but something that has long interested me is why SA has not been able to foster a larger secondary population centre that is not 50kms from the CBD of Adelaide, I'm talking your Bengido's, Ballaratts, Gold Coasts, Newcastles etc etc (and please don't feel the need to itemise those place one by one and tell why they aren't, i'd prefer it if you just focused on why or why not its a bad idea)

With the City of Adelaide becoming so large and essentially building on the prime farming lands of the state (this isn't the only impact just one I can think of whilst i'm typing) as well as having major issue in relation to infrastrucutre It made me wonder why there hadn't been attempts to try and developed a large residential population elsewhere in the state?

I realise that in order to have residential growth you need jobs and jobs need industry but surely thats not somthing which goes beyond the planning abilities of the state?

I'm imagine a direct connection with Adelaide via high speed rail and the commencement of government services in the the area would be a start, if based out North (say Port Augusta) a limitation on new Industrial Areas could be established in Adelaide with incentives for people to move to the area also thrown in (both residential and industrial/commercial), if the mining boom eventuates the area is ready for any growth with modern infrastructure (including the potential for better water usage and waste processing etc etc) and won't be limited old infrastruture or the save the old house lobby? It could also see housing put on land that is basically good for not much else?

I apologise for the lack of detail in the post, its just an idea that has been sitting with me for a while and I reckon there would be a few people on the forum that would be able to slam the door shut on why its a silly idea or if it does have any potential?

Nathan

Re: Does the State have a plan for a 2nd "major population h

#12 Post by Nathan » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:43 am

We did have a plan for a 2nd major city. Say hello to Monarto. :lol:

(I'm sure you can see how well that worked out.)

Waewick

#13 Post by Waewick » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:00 am

:lol:

I should have said a well planned one!

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#14 Post by Wayno » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:08 am

My personal thought - a 2nd hub is not needed. We need to first in-fill our suburbs (via TODs) to create density and generate economies of scale.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Waewick

#15 Post by Waewick » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:21 am

I hear what your saying re density and that is the way forward for Adelaide, But i guess with a massive focus on "the Australian dream" we also provide the ability to live in a qtr acre block close to employment? It also gives the state the ability to grow outside the Adelaide Metrpolitain area and instead of being a city/state we provided options for people who don't want to live in a city as large as Adelaide but want to live in an urban enviroment, we also get the options to plan where it is.

Its like the unfeasable idea of a bride connection Adelaide to Port Lincoln (well not directly, but you get my point) and opening that part of the state up to greater investment (but once again its not something that will ever occur)

As I said its just an idea thats always been in my head so I haven't got 100% of the answers i just thought it may be an interesting discussion topic, I think there is alot of potential for South Australia outside the City of Adelaide.