South Australia's Second 'Major' City

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Splashmo
High Rise Poster!

Re: Does the State have a plan for a 2nd "major population h

#46 Post by Splashmo » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:40 pm

I love Renmark and both my parents are from the town - but really, it's practically a desert and doesn't have a lot of good prospects for the future with climate change and the Murray the way they are. I think Victor Harbor and the wider area of the Encounter Bay is underdeveloped, I think Port Lincoln has potential (if only the road distance weren't so great) and I think the government has neglected the state's South East.

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#47 Post by Waewick » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:34 pm

splash - I tend to agree with you (I'm a riverlander also)

however you have to work with that you have - I don't think Renmark could ever be a Bendigo but it could be aMildura mach 2 or even a Mount Gambier.

However the other eareas people have mentioned are also good ideas.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#48 Post by crawf » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:43 pm

Mildura is practically a desert aswell, but has developed into a vibrant regional hub. Ofcourse Mildura is fortunate to be the crossroads between Adelaide and Sydney, aswell direct access to Melbourne and the once booming Broken Hill.
Last edited by crawf on Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rhino

#49 Post by rhino » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:46 pm

Unfortunately there is no way that Renmark can become another Mildura without the demise of the other major Riverland towns. And local parochialism being what it is, they won't let that happen. They would rather see the whole project fail than allow their own town to decline.

It wouldn't be Renmark anyway, IMHO. While Renmark is far and away my favourite town in the Riverland, and probably my favourite regional centre in all of South Australia, if one town rises above the rest it will be Berri. It's central location in the middle of Renmark, Loxton and Barmera gives it a head start - it's already the Government's choice for departmental offices, and understandably so. Any other big employer who wants to source their staff from throughout the region is going to choose the most central location too.
cheers,
Rhino

Waewick

#50 Post by Waewick » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:03 pm

rhino wrote: Unfortunately there is no way that Renmark can become another Mildura without the demise of the other major Riverland towns. And local parochialism being what it is, they won't let that happen. They would rather see the whole project fail than allow their own town to decline.
your are 100% on the money with this - off topic.

but I had a "friend" who was heavily involved in the Riverland, anyway the they wanted to expand the failry sucessful rose festival in Renmark.....this would include households at Berri.

well the plan was accepted on 1 basis.

All referenced to Berri where to be removed, included the town entrance signs and any publications could only talk about renmark - even if the event was in Berri.

So basically for 2 weeks the people of Renmark wanted rename Berri - so instead of the Riverland getting a larger event - the event just Plateaus

the sad part is, it isn't an isolated occurance, towns put there christmas pagents on at the same time (or another christmas event) to avoid the other having more sucess - it happens all the time and is hilariously sad.
rhino wrote: It wouldn't be Renmark anyway, IMHO. While Renmark is far and away my favourite town in the Riverland, and probably my favourite regional centre in all of South Australia, if one town rises above the rest it will be Berri. It's central location in the middle of Renmark, Loxton and Barmera gives it a head start - it's already the Government's choice for departmental offices, and understandably so. Any other big employer who wants to source their staff from throughout the region is going to choose the most central location too.
and your correct on this point too :lol: