RAA - Backwater to Benchmark

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
greenchilli
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#31 Post by greenchilli » Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:14 pm

I believe that South Rd should not be upgraded as it the cost of upgrading the road alone would be a lot of money, not to mention the chaos it would cause to divert all the peak hour traffic through suburban side streets because there simply isnt enough room to accomodate traffic flow during construction work, and people are not going to want to put up and wait 4 years of chaos.

The simplest alternative I can think of at the moment is to extend the Southern Expressway North through that park/police station, onto the Tonsley rail line (Remove the rail line) I understand that the land the tracks are on would only accomodate for 3 lanes of traffic, given that you allow room for the concrete pylons of the elevated road above to be constructed, so I suggest a ground level road for southbound traffic, and an elevated road on concrete pylons above the ground level road for all northbound traffic. As you approach the end of of the Tonsley Line where it connects back to the City-Noarlunga line, there is a problem. The line still only allows for 3 lanes plus concrete pylons, this would mean that about 10 properties on the eastern side of the line would need to be subdivided to make way for the 3 lanes of the elevated road traffic to resume to ground level and then the two 3-lane roads can then go underground into a tunnel just near the Ascot Park Railway Station. This tunnel, which is about 3.7km in length would run from the A.P Railway Station, directly under Marion Road to the former Glenelg Tram Line that is on the Northern side of Anzac Highway. It would exit near Marion Road, and run in the direction of the City along the former tram line green strip. The strip is wide enough to accomodate for about 4 lanes of traffic either way, but that is without a 1m green median strip to separate the two. So I would suggest to continue having the 3 lanes either way along the Strip. Next Stop - South Rd/City West. Several properties surrounding this area would need to be demoilished to make way for an interchange. Continue the 3 lanes of traffic along the City West and build an underpass with slip lanes onto Burbridge Rd, but continuing along the James Congdon Drive Corridor. This corridor is again wide enough to accomodate 3 lanes each way still. The road should then travel adjacent the train tracks, but just before Port Rd, another tunnel is constructed under the parklands and that exits just where Torrens Rd begins near the train tracks. This tunnel is about 2.65KM long. There are 12 properties that obsruct the path of the exit, these homes would need to be demolished so the road can exit out of the tunnel and onto a elevated road above the Islington Line train tracks. The reason for this is because that line is a frieght line, and the freight lines need to be kept in place. Back on the road topic, 3 lanes each way on concrete pylons above the train tracks until the Islington Railyards where the road would divert off onto ground level adjacent to the train tracks on the western side of the railyards where a carpark is. It then heads straight up North, under Grand Junction Rd (another major interchange needed here) and continues straight up. 1 industrial property needs to be removed to make way for the freeway to proceed and then it connects with the Salisbury Highway/ Port River Expressway via a T-intersection interchange.

There you have it. Our North-South Freeway.
Rough briefings -

# 20-30km of freeway.
# 2 tunnels, 3.7KM & 2.65KM respectively.
# 2 major interchanges
# 7 minor interchanges
# No City Parklands destroyed
# 2 Elevated sections
# 23 Properties destroyed
# Tonsley Rail Line demolished
# 3-lanes EACH WAY.
# X Million dollars to build
# Frieght line preserved

and thats all really. opinions?

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#32 Post by Howie » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:12 pm

That's alot to digest there... i'll have to come back to your other points.

Just like to comment on your first paragraph...
greenchilli wrote:I believe that South Rd should not be upgraded as it the cost of upgrading the road alone would be a lot of money, not to mention the chaos it would cause to divert all the peak hour traffic through suburban side streets because there simply isnt enough room to accomodate traffic flow during construction work, and people are not going to want to put up and wait 4 years of chaos.

Between Regency Road intersection and Anzac Highway, this road is completely and utterly unsuitable for driving during peak hour periods on any given day, and this section of road is generally bypassed wherever possible. I'm not exaggerating... I dread coming into here around this time as it adds around 20 minutes to my journey home. I generally take a number of shortcuts that i've learnt over the years trying to dodge the mess that is south road.

Imagine what this section will be like in 10 years time if we don't act now.

greenchilli
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#33 Post by greenchilli » Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:46 pm

There should be two stages - 1st stage, the North-South Freeway. <- we need a name for that. lol. 2nd stage, South Rd upgrade - just a general upgrade like they did with anzac highway. widen the road so that it fits 2 lanes (properly) not like the part of south rd after port rd (heading north) with a full green median strip. there needs to be the 2 underpasses plan, but to top it off - the cross rd bridge needs 2 be rebuilt into an underpass.

ReallyBad
High Rise Poster!

#34 Post by ReallyBad » Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:19 pm

I just think the government should "bite the bullet" and just build a whole new North South Freeway - buy the land and just do it. Call it the "Dunstan Freeway".

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#35 Post by AG » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:09 am

This has to be done:

OUT OF OUR WAY
By MELISSA KING
22dec05
THE State Government is preparing to buy up to 100 South Rd houses and businesses to make way for massive roadworks and it will move to compulsorily acquire any properties the owners refuse to sell.

The land is needed to widen South Rd between Port Rd and Torrens Rd as part of a larger project to create an underpass and tunnel to reduce traffic congestion and improve access to one of Adelaide's main freight routes.

The project, to start next year, is the first stage of a long-term plan to make South Rd a non-stop route from the Southern Expressway to Port Adelaide.

The project involves building a tunnel under Grange Rd, Port Rd and the railway line, and an underpass under Anzac Hwy.

Transport Department project manager Paul Gelston said the details of the road-widening would be finalised in about six months. It was likely that 60-100 properties would be bought.

Under the Land Acquisition Act, the State Government can serve a notice of intention to acquire land. One of the possible grounds is that the acquisition is for the social or economic benefit of the state. Landholders can appeal to the Environment Resources and Development Court.

Mr Gelston said a decision on whether to use the western or eastern side of South Rd would be based on a range of factors, including the cost of relocating the services.

"(But) we will need to acquire property, possibly the first row of houses all along that section of the road," he said.

Mr Gelston said all residents and business operators had been informed of estimated time lines.

Open meetings had been held this month to provide information and address any concerns, he said.

About 15 owners had already shown interest in selling and asked for property valuations.

If people living on either side of South Rd were willing to sell now, "we are interested in purchasing at this stage", Mr Gelston said.

This was because land also would be needed to accommodate traffic diversion during construction.

If needed, compulsory land acquisition would take up to 18 months from the time the notice was served.

"We can't commence, and wouldn't commence, land acquisition until a scheme has been signed off by the Government," Mr Gelston said.

"We will do all we can to avoid having to compulsorily acquire properties."

The budget for the widening project is $47 million, and land acquisition for the tunnel and widening phase is scheduled to begin late next year.

The underpass budget is $65 million, while the 600m tunnel at the intersection of Grange and Port roads will cost $122 million.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#36 Post by Howie » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:56 am

Just picked up the tiser also... i'm glad they're widening that stretch of road. It's just awful... trucks can't use the left lane, there are no dedicated turning lanes, so often it gets banked up and runs into one lane per direction.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#37 Post by Will » Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:16 pm

Howie wrote:That's alot to digest there... i'll have to come back to your other points.

Just like to comment on your first paragraph...
greenchilli wrote:I believe that South Rd should not be upgraded as it the cost of upgrading the road alone would be a lot of money, not to mention the chaos it would cause to divert all the peak hour traffic through suburban side streets because there simply isnt enough room to accomodate traffic flow during construction work, and people are not going to want to put up and wait 4 years of chaos.

Between Regency Road intersection and Anzac Highway, this road is completely and utterly unsuitable for driving during peak hour periods on any given day, and this section of road is generally bypassed wherever possible. I'm not exaggerating... I dread coming into here around this time as it adds around 20 minutes to my journey home. I generally take a number of shortcuts that i've learnt over the years trying to dodge the mess that is south road.

Imagine what this section will be like in 10 years time if we don't act now.

I completely agree with Howie. It is evident that Adelaide will continue to grow, and therefore by not doing anything now the problem will be magnified in the future.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#38 Post by Cruise » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:17 pm

does anyone have a link to the raa's south road video? the one posted previously no longer works and i havent seen it before and talk of it taking minutes to drive down the route seems to good to be true

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#39 Post by Howie » Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:05 pm

I've just done some video editing of the clips... combined them into one. You can see the whole expressway starting from Port Adelaide to Victor Harbour in the one clip now.

Check here in 30 minutes or so... (it takes a while before youtube makes the link active).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL6YZ1chzhY

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#40 Post by rev » Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:10 pm

Thank the lord they are finally going to upgrade the section between torrens and port roads.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#41 Post by Howie » Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:12 pm

Yeah that's a mess isn't it. But when the video gets updated on youtube, you can see there's still MUCH to be done on South Road.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#42 Post by Howie » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:22 pm

Youtube link above is live now.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#43 Post by Cruise » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:34 pm

Thanks alot Howie that was an excellent video just imagine if they could build that, im just guessing but maybe it would cost around 1.5 billion could we afford that?

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#44 Post by Cruise » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:40 pm

Also, that showed a 3 lane underpass at anzac highway and the same at cross roads why would you demolish a perfectly good overpass?.

shuza
High Rise Poster!

#45 Post by shuza » Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:24 pm

Oh MY GOD.
Why doesnt the RAA have their own political party? God... thats the best vision for Adelaide I have seen EVER.