08/09 state budget announcements

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Cruise
Banned
Banned

Re: 08/09 state budget announcements

#76 Post by Cruise » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:22 pm

muzzamo wrote:This budget was VERY quiet about the proposed south road tunnel and sturt road underpass though. I guess they are waiting on further money from the federal government on that..
Will most likely come next year in a big hoo-hah for next years budget

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#77 Post by Cruise » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:24 pm

AtD wrote:More good news! MHS is saying this is all his idea, which makes it politically difficult for his party to block the transport spending in the senate.

Now as long as they don't do a Sydney and cancel all this in a few years time.
he also said the tram line should be sent to the outer south and north, what a tool

Bulldozer
High Rise Poster!

#78 Post by Bulldozer » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:31 pm

crawf wrote:Theres more to West Lakes than just AAMI Stadium. Like one of the largest shopping complexes in SA and the growing number of mid/high rises going up in the suburb.
I still think it's a huge wasted opportunity not to build a new city stadium. West Lakes the suburb could be adequately serviced by buses feeding to nearby train stations, or if Football Park were sold off to fund a city stadium then the Woodville spur could be extended out to the shopping centre with a transit oriented development build along and around it. I firmly believe a city stadium is in the long-term interest of Adelaide as it would have a much greater benefit both economically and socially/culturally over the long-term.

If the opposition does have the numbers to block it in the Legislative Council then I hope that they do rather than rolling over like they did on WorkCover.

I'm also concerned about the state going into debt by a couple of billion to pay for this stuff considering the concerns the Auditor-General has previously expressed about Foley's projections about future revenue. I would prefer to have these projects delayed by a year if it means not borrowing, but then I'm one those weird people who isn't in debt and saves up to pay for purchases with cash. :) But hey, things have changed in the last year so I'll reserve judgement on that until I hear what the Auditor-General has to say.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#79 Post by muzzamo » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:46 pm

and the winging brigade comes out again...

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#80 Post by Norman » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:47 pm

Nine News report (features a beaten MHS)

ABC News report

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#81 Post by Will » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:34 pm

Bulldozer wrote:
crawf wrote:Theres more to West Lakes than just AAMI Stadium. Like one of the largest shopping complexes in SA and the growing number of mid/high rises going up in the suburb.
I still think it's a huge wasted opportunity not to build a new city stadium. West Lakes the suburb could be adequately serviced by buses feeding to nearby train stations, or if Football Park were sold off to fund a city stadium then the Woodville spur could be extended out to the shopping centre with a transit oriented development build along and around it. I firmly believe a city stadium is in the long-term interest of Adelaide as it would have a much greater benefit both economically and socially/culturally over the long-term.

If the opposition does have the numbers to block it in the Legislative Council then I hope that they do rather than rolling over like they did on WorkCover.

I'm also concerned about the state going into debt by a couple of billion to pay for this stuff considering the concerns the Auditor-General has previously expressed about Foley's projections about future revenue. I would prefer to have these projects delayed by a year if it means not borrowing, but then I'm one those weird people who isn't in debt and saves up to pay for purchases with cash. :) But hey, things have changed in the last year so I'll reserve judgement on that until I hear what the Auditor-General has to say.
The debt that the state is going in to fund these infraestructure projects must definately come under the 'good' debt category. These infraestructre projects will help fuel economic growth in SA. As such I see this borrowing as taking out a loan to buy property or shares. Money which will in the long run, help you make even more money. I was disappointed with MHS complete negativity in his reply speech. I realize he is the opposition leader and has to criticise the government but was it really necessary to bring back the State Bank example?

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#82 Post by crawf » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:48 pm

Completely agree with this, this State Budget has been very visionary and gives labor a good chance of winning the 2010 election.
Advertiser Editorial: A Budget to rebuild the state
Article from: The Advertiser

June 06, 2008 12:30am

TREASURER Kevin Foley yesterday delivered what is arguably the most positive and constructive State Budget for a quarter of a century.

It is a Budget that spurs the rebuilding of South Australia after years of financial deprivation caused by the State Bank collapse in 1980.

The Budget tackles the areas of long-term neglect – Adelaide's public transport network, metropolitan and rural roads, the health system, the guarantee of a reliable domestic and industrial water supply, the upgrading of the courts system and the protection of at-risk children.

It also offers relief to first-home buyers, eases the burden of payroll tax on medium and large employers and foreshadows cuts in government spending by reductions in the public sector workforce.

Politically, the Budget has addressed many of the pressure points of public concern and neutralised the criticisms of the Government which have been competently enunciated by Opposition leader Martin Hamilton-Smith.

As a starting point, the Budget predicts a healthy surplus of $160 million for 2008-09, rising to $424 million in 2011-12.

At the heart of the Budget is the most imaginative and far-reaching plan to upgrade public transport since the Adelaide suburban electric tram network was scrapped in the late 1950s.

Over the next decade, more than $2 billion will be spent electrifying and upgrading the majority of the existing rail system and extending the Adelaide to Glenelg tram service into the northwestern suburbs, as far as Port Adelaide and Semaphore.

Rising petrol prices have underscored the need for the modernisation of public transport.

Funding has also been included in the Budget for the continued upgrading of hospital services, including redevelopment of the Flinders Medical Centre and the Lyell McEwin, Queen Elizabeth, Berri and Whyalla hospitals, which will cater for an additional 50,000 patients.

With the completion of the Mullighan inquiry into child abuse, the Government has allocated $190 million over four years to provide protection for at-risk children.

The relief for first-home buyers, including stamp duty concessions, will play a small part in deflecting the impact of interest rate rises and in easing housing shortages.

The Budget recognises the burden of payroll tax on employers by lifting the threshhold in two stages from $504,000 to $600,000 and lowering the rate of tax to among the lowest in Australia.

While critics will identify omissions and areas of neglect in Mr Foley's seventh Budget, it is difficult to quibble with its broad thrust.

It is a Budget that ensures the Rann Labor Government – now in the second half of its second term – will be remembered for its work in health, hospitals, education, public transport, child protection, industrial development, justice and law enforcement.

It is a Budget which begins the process of converting promises into material outcomes. Perhaps, most importantly, it is a Budget which overlays broad policy with tangible results.

Responsibility for all editorial comment is taken by The Editor, Melvin Mansell, 31 Waymouth St, Adelaide, SA 5000.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#83 Post by Will » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:58 pm

It is a Budget that spurs the rebuilding of South Australia after years of financial deprivation caused by the State Bank collapse in 1980.
Good to see the Advertiser is well aware of their state history. The State Bank collapsed in 1991/92.

On a further note, the big spending of this budget shows how much the state has come in the last few years. It is essentially a completely different place to be. I recall that for the 01/02 budget, the biggest infrastructure announcement was the connector road (Sir James Congdom Drive) built between South Road and Sir Donald Bradman Drive. Compare that to now, complete 180.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#84 Post by Howie » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:09 am

Norman wrote:Nine News report (features a beaten MHS)
Thanks for the clips mate.. top work.

Not sure about MHS being beaten just yet... Labors just caved into public demand for electrification, and MJN hospital has now slipped one year. Opening up another fresh debate about an entertainment precinct on the railyards precinct, where it rightfully should be. They might be able to promise $100m on AAMI, possibly another $100m on the entertainment centre but in the end everyone knows where they should be putting the money.. that is on the prime piece of land on the Torrens.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#85 Post by crawf » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:14 am

Will wrote:
Good to see the Advertiser is well aware of their state history. The State Bank collapsed in 1991/92.

On a further note, the big spending of this budget shows how much the state has come in the last few years. It is essentially a completely different place to be. I recall that for the 01/02 budget, the biggest infrastructure announcement was the connector road (Sir James Congdom Drive) built between South Road and Sir Donald Bradman Drive. Compare that to now, complete 180.
Yeah I saw that, though I thought it was just a typo.

Imagine what the State Budgets will be like when the resources and defence is actually booming in a few years time...

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#86 Post by Howie » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:15 am

Transport Announcement (Short Version)

Transport Announcement (Long Version)

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#87 Post by Howie » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:22 am

SA State Budget 2008 - Address (Audio) - Source : Messenger News
Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Not sure why part 2 says part 3... might be an editing problem.

Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

#88 Post by Tyler_Durden » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:21 am

Bulldozer wrote:I still think it's a huge wasted opportunity not to build a new city stadium. West Lakes the suburb could be adequately serviced by buses feeding to nearby train stations, or if Football Park were sold off to fund a city stadium then the Woodville spur could be extended out to the shopping centre with a transit oriented development build along and around it. I firmly believe a city stadium is in the long-term interest of Adelaide as it would have a much greater benefit both economically and socially/culturally over the long-term.

You've pretty much explained why your first paragraph can't happen with your last paragraph. A city stadium would be great but the Government can't afford it. If they did fund a city stadium it would put them in huge unmanageable debt.

I also note that you've said the sale of AAMI Stadium land will cover much of the cost of a new one. It wouldn't because city land would be more expensive than the land at West Lakes.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#89 Post by Howie » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:41 am

I thought the railyards in the city was crown land? I think a city stadium and entertainment precinct on the railyards could still work if you didn't proceed with the west lakes tram link, sold AAMI, and rebuilt RAH on site. If they wanted, they could hire me and i'll show them how they could do it at roughly the same cost :)

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#90 Post by crawf » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:23 am

I thought you were against the idea of rebuilding the RAH on site?

I believe the RAH should be built somewhere else, eg Clipsal site.