Burnside's "Sandcastle"

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Maximus_Marc
Gold-Member ;)

Burnside's "Sandcastle"

#1 Post by Maximus_Marc » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:35 pm

A queerie, has anyone heard of the Sandcastle in Burnside. Apparently its this massive castle-like house and is the residence of one of Adelaide's $ -est

I wanna check it out. but what i do know is if you head down holden street in kensington behind Pembroke's boarding campus then there is this massive 2 storey classic house with tennis court, big yard etc lol

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Burnside's "Sandcastle"

#2 Post by Wayno » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:00 pm

there's a castlesque house on the eastern side of Portrush Rd that I think is covered in river pebbles, but i might be wrong. Sort of half-way between Greenhill Rd and the Freeway...

Speaking of ugly McCastles, have you guys seen the one on the north side of Henley Beach Rd. Somewhere west of Marion Rd. It's the most massive and imposing piece of AV Jennings shite i've ever seen. Has an absolutely huge balcony/verandah out front - sorry for changing the subject maximus_marc :-)
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3 Post by cruel_world00 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:52 pm

Wayno wrote:there's a castlesque house on the eastern side of Portrush Rd that I think is covered in river pebbles, but i might be wrong. Sort of half-way between Greenhill Rd and the Freeway...

Speaking of ugly McCastles, have you guys seen the one on the north side of Henley Beach Rd. Somewhere west of Marion Rd. It's the most massive and imposing piece of AV Jennings shite i've ever seen. Has an absolutely huge balcony/verandah out front - sorry for changing the subject maximus_marc :-)

I drive past this often...it's before the bridge but city side of tapley's hill road intersection. There are a few shockers in that part of town. So f-ing gaudy.

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#4 Post by Omicron » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:50 am

What you are after is 10-11 Ifould Drive, Burnside - as seen below (diagonal pavers):

Through the gates one is more able to appreciate the 'Sandcastle' references than from above.

*Disclaimer: Omi is not a stalker nor an eager paparazzo; all photographic representations and comments must be taken as mere opinion rather than declarations of fact.

Joely
High Rise Poster!

#5 Post by Joely » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:09 am

The Sandcastle isn't all that much larger than all the other houses up there really. There are quite a few up there which are larger, like the one directly behind it as you can see in the aerial Omi posted. I think there is one which is nearly twice the size. The really ugly one on the corner with the terraced landscaping on the side. I think its the way in which the sandcastle is built on the side of the block with the massive paved plaza out the front is what makes it look so massive.

Joely
High Rise Poster!

#6 Post by Joely » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:21 am

Wayno wrote:there's a castlesque house on the eastern side of Portrush Rd that I think is covered in river pebbles, but i might be wrong. Sort of half-way between Greenhill Rd and the Freeway...

Ahh, that would be my bosses house. The one between the IGA and Airport Drive, which is usually lit up a night? Incase he's browsing these forums I will just say I think it's lovely :|

Mants
Legendary Member!

#7 Post by Mants » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:31 am

the sandcastle is a part of "burnside estate", and is probably amongst the most luxurious homes in adelaide. it's on ifould drive, burnside. beat me to it omni!

i was actually up at ifould drive a couple of days ago checking out a house.
really, for the expected price, it was pretty average. you could get something twice as nice in the suburbs across the gully (beaumont, glen osmond, st georges) i suppose people will pay anything to be considered amongst adelaide's wealthiest!

would you pay $2million for this?
http://www.realestate.com.au

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#8 Post by Norman » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:42 pm

No... they don't even have better PT up there than over here in Marion. And here the house prices here are about 1/6th of that.

Done
Gold-Member ;)

#9 Post by Done » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:48 pm

Maximus_Marc wrote:but what i do know is if you head down holden street in kensington behind Pembroke's boarding campus then there is this massive 2 storey classic house with tennis court, big yard etc lol
That is the one near my school. It was for sale for a long time a couple years ago, I heard the asking price was 3m, it's been done up now and freshly landscaped.
Photo from flickr member ozipatul.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#10 Post by Cruise » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:50 pm

Norman wrote:No... they don't even have better PT up there than over here in Marion. And here the house prices here are about 1/6th of that.
Well i live 5 minutes from a train station that has 15 minute weekday frequencies 8) beat that :D

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#11 Post by Norman » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:36 pm

Cruise wrote:
Norman wrote:No... they don't even have better PT up there than over here in Marion. And here the house prices here are about 1/6th of that.
Well i live 5 minutes from a train station that has 15 minute weekday frequencies 8) beat that :D
I live 3 minutes from a Go Zone and 7 minutes from a train station with a 20-30 Minute Frequency ;)

Mants
Legendary Member!

#12 Post by Mants » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:48 pm

Norman wrote:
Cruise wrote:
I live 3 minutes from a Go Zone and 7 minutes from a train station with a 20-30 Minute Frequency ;)
i live 2 minutes from one go zone and 4 minutes from another go zone! :D

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#13 Post by Cruise » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:55 pm

Another thread turned into a PT debate, pats on backs all round :D

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#14 Post by monotonehell » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:32 am

Cruise wrote:Another thread turned into a PT debate, pats on backs all round :D
Umm.. oh err. right.. okay.. caught me off guard here...

O-BAHN!

(Contractual obligations satisfied...)
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#15 Post by Cruise » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:17 pm

monotonehell wrote: (Contractual obligations satisfied...)

not quite, you still owe us one Obahn dance