Save the Rundle Mall Glass Lifts

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Message
Author
Sonata
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:10 am

Re: Save the Rundle Mall Glass Lifts

#16 Post by Sonata » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:47 pm

Hoops wrote:If i was a tenant /owner of that building i'd be horrendously annoyed at people joyriding in them.(Not saying I haven't joyrode myself)

There are more important things to worry about/sign petitions over.

Think of the maintenance costs and (Im not 100% on lift workings) but if they require oiling i assume that more trips=more oil = More expensive.. and there not even receiving a return to cover there costs...


I agree with the owners
Did you even read the petition? The petition covers that issue.

Sonata
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:10 am

Re: Save the Rundle Mall Glass Lifts

#17 Post by Sonata » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:59 pm

Shuz wrote:
Omicron wrote:
Shuz wrote:They should demolish the freaking Myer Centre! Hate that place...
That entire building is a grossly-overweight, ridiculously-expensive, fundamentally-flawed travesty.
Grossly over-weight describes the place very well. Hard to say for a building, but it works for Myer. What did that place cost? A fucking billion? People should be crying foul why that money then wasn't used on a new city stadium.

Why the hell is there a petition to save the glass lifts!? You're supposed to use them! That's what they put them in there for, as for business crying boo-hoos - I'm sure they'll be whining more with the loss of customers. You can't expect everyone to take the escalators for 6 floors or however many are in that god-awful monstrosity. Some people's mentality really has gone out the window - which prompts me to say we really must be heading for an Idiocracy.
Not the glass lifts in the Myer Centre. The ones in the Renaissance centre, that are outside, go up seven floors, and give a good view. There's now signs in them saying you're not allowed to do that, even though that's sorta what they were built for. On the facebook group t here's pictures of the signs. Yes I realise the building is ugly, but that's a different issue to the glass lifts. I'd be all for a new building with external glass lifts. :P But for now, the management shouldn't stop people from riding on them, as it's rather a tradition for sooo many people, and has been for what, 25 years?

User avatar
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 5708
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:06 pm
Has thanked: 778 times
Been thanked: 1415 times

Re: Save the Rundle Mall Glass Lifts

#18 Post by Norman » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:41 pm

Maybe the ACC should install some freestanding in the mall, and then charge a small fee (gold coin or something) that can go towards coffers or charity... or both.

Sonata
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:10 am

Re: Save the Rundle Mall Glass Lifts

#19 Post by Sonata » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:58 pm

That would be awesome.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 5539
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:48 pm
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 684 times
Been thanked: 152 times

Re: Save the Rundle Mall Glass Lifts

#20 Post by Will » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:29 pm

Sonata, have you ever thought of contacting Today Tonight? This sounds like a TT story. (In fact I can now imagine the person who ordered this, being shown walking in slow motion with the accompanying paedophile music)

User avatar
Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2336
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:46 pm

Re: Save the Rundle Mall Glass Lifts

#21 Post by Omicron » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:54 pm

Will wrote:Sonata, have you ever thought of contacting Today Tonight? This sounds like a TT story. (In fact I can now imagine the person who ordered this, being shown walking in slow motion with the accompanying paedophile music)
Oh god; don't encourage that hideous show.
monotonehell wrote:Sorry to the original poster, but I was just talking with friends standing on the corner of Rundle Mall and Pulteney street that the entire building should come down and be replaced with something that's not hideously boxy and undermaintained. The whole building is just plain ugly and I'd love to see the site redeveloped with a new architecturally interesting building that is functional and appropriate to the Mall. If you really want some glass lifts then stick them in a new building.
I hope you also discussed taking a wrecking-ball to Unihouse, which would have been right beside your little conversation.

User avatar
Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2297
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:29 pm
Location: In your head
Has thanked: 861 times
Been thanked: 108 times

Re: Save the Rundle Mall Glass Lifts

#22 Post by Ho Really » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:20 pm

Omicron wrote:
Will wrote:Sonata, have you ever thought of contacting Today Tonight? This sounds like a TT story. (In fact I can now imagine the person who ordered this, being shown walking in slow motion with the accompanying paedophile music)
Oh god; don't encourage that hideous show.
Yes, very hideous.
monotonehell wrote:Sorry to the original poster, but I was just talking with friends standing on the corner of Rundle Mall and Pulteney street that the entire building should come down and be replaced with something that's not hideously boxy and undermaintained. The whole building is just plain ugly and I'd love to see the site redeveloped with a new architecturally interesting building that is functional and appropriate to the Mall. If you really want some glass lifts then stick them in a new building.
I hope you also discussed taking a wrecking-ball to Unihouse, which would have been right beside your little conversation.
Never been in this building. How's the interior? Maybe just the facade could be spruced-up, otherwise as you said it should come down. As for the glass lifts, etc. It would be nice if they were incorporated in a better looking building. The ex-Cox Foys building should be rebuilt. It's in a great location and a 20+ storey mixed use building would be nice.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

loud
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:25 pm

Re: Save the Rundle Mall Glass Lifts

#23 Post by loud » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:39 pm

haha they should bring back Dazzleland, that rollercoaster was awesome...

kinda sad about that place today is that everything is on the ground or terrace levels
What's sad is that apparently when the Myer Centre was being designed/built, the developers consultants told them not to build the now un-used upper floors... but the developers went ahead anyway... ooops!

User avatar
Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2336
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:46 pm

Re: Save the Rundle Mall Glass Lifts

#24 Post by Omicron » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:39 pm

Ho Really wrote:
Omicron wrote:
Will wrote:Sonata, have you ever thought of contacting Today Tonight? This sounds like a TT story. (In fact I can now imagine the person who ordered this, being shown walking in slow motion with the accompanying paedophile music)
Oh god; don't encourage that hideous show.
Yes, very hideous.
monotonehell wrote:Sorry to the original poster, but I was just talking with friends standing on the corner of Rundle Mall and Pulteney street that the entire building should come down and be replaced with something that's not hideously boxy and undermaintained. The whole building is just plain ugly and I'd love to see the site redeveloped with a new architecturally interesting building that is functional and appropriate to the Mall. If you really want some glass lifts then stick them in a new building.
I hope you also discussed taking a wrecking-ball to Unihouse, which would have been right beside your little conversation.
Never been in this building. How's the interior? Maybe just the facade could be spruced-up, otherwise as you said it should come down. As for the glass lifts, etc. It would be nice if they were incorporated in a better looking building. The ex-Cox Foys building should be rebuilt. It's in a great location and a 20+ storey mixed use building would be nice.
The interior looks like exactly what it is: an office building converted to clumsy little student apartments. Imagine white walls, grey carpets, the barest minumum of fixtures and fittings, narrow little slits masquerading as windows, and so on; it's absolutely nothing special.

I say - did I just stumble into the Spark thread?

User avatar
Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2297
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:29 pm
Location: In your head
Has thanked: 861 times
Been thanked: 108 times

Re: Save the Rundle Mall Glass Lifts

#25 Post by Ho Really » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:54 pm

Omicron wrote:
Ho Really wrote:Never been in this building. How's the interior? Maybe just the facade could be spruced-up, otherwise as you said it should come down. As for the glass lifts, etc. It would be nice if they were incorporated in a better looking building. The ex-Cox Foys building should be rebuilt. It's in a great location and a 20+ storey mixed use building would be nice.
The interior looks like exactly what it is: an office building converted to clumsy little student apartments. Imagine white walls, grey carpets, the barest minumum of fixtures and fittings, narrow little slits masquerading as windows, and so on; it's absolutely nothing special.

I say - did I just stumble into the Spark thread?
In that case there is no use throwing money at Unihouse, it should be demolished! Thanks for letting me know.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

User avatar
Hoops
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:49 pm

Re: Save the Rundle Mall Glass Lifts

#26 Post by Hoops » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:21 am

Sonata wrote:
Hoops wrote:If i was a tenant /owner of that building i'd be horrendously annoyed at people joyriding in them.(Not saying I haven't joyrode myself)

There are more important things to worry about/sign petitions over.

Think of the maintenance costs and (Im not 100% on lift workings) but if they require oiling i assume that more trips=more oil = More expensive.. and there not even receiving a return to cover there costs...


I agree with the owners
Did you even read the petition? The petition covers that issue.
Nope Read your summary of the petition and decided I'm against,

I agree with many others before me, in the sense that it should be demolished.

As for the lifts, Why should the businesses have to pay the extra expense to allow tourists(For the record the view really aint that great) to joyride,. Generally it isn't tourists using them its 15Year old School kids, Looking to Hookup,

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 5539
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:48 pm
Location: Adelaide
Has thanked: 684 times
Been thanked: 152 times

Re: Save the Rundle Mall Glass Lifts

#27 Post by Will » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:36 pm

This image from 1977 shows that the Toy's R Us Building did not always look like it does today. It appears to have undergone a faceloft in the early 1980s giving it, its current façade.

Image

User avatar
AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 4581
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:00 pm
Location: Sydney
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Save the Rundle Mall Glass Lifts

#28 Post by AtD » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:23 pm

I remember being told the building had a sort of Dazzelland set up on the roof. You wouldn't have any photos of that, Will?

User avatar
Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2297
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:29 pm
Location: In your head
Has thanked: 861 times
Been thanked: 108 times

Re: Save the Rundle Mall Glass Lifts

#29 Post by Ho Really » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:54 pm

AtD wrote:I remember being told the building had a sort of Dazzelland set up on the roof. You wouldn't have any photos of that, Will?
A funfair with ferris wheel and a small scale train ride. The top floor of the old Cox Foys (department store) was the toy department.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

russo92
Gold-Member ;)
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:34 pm

Re: Save the Rundle Mall Glass Lifts

#30 Post by russo92 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:14 pm

The Toys R Us building , or Renaiiasence Centre, is lookin pretty shabby from the outside and the inside. they should get rid of it and build a landmark tower, with a real cool design and incorporate a new Toys R Us in it, and other new shops, glass lifts, restaurants and a new Megaplex cinema, one just as big as Marion that goes right onto the mall. They also need an entertainment precint, maybe on the top floors of the Myer centre, with lots of arcade games, bowling, laser skirmish, (Time Zone basically), dogdem cars, and maybe a new roller coaster like they used to hav.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest