Commonwealth Games in Adelaide

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.

Would you support a bid for the 2018 Commonwealth Games?

Yes, it would be great for the city
46%
No, waste of money
24%
Not 2018, but 2022 or 2026
30%

Total votes: 104

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Poll pledge: Libs would bid for 2018 Commonwealth Games

#46 Post by crawf » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:30 pm

by adam73837 on Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:10 pm
Having been to the Gold Coast for a holiday recently, I can see why they perceive Adelaide as boring. Gold Coast has their huge apartment towers; we have the Westpac House.
There is much more to a city than buildings for heavens sack.
Gold Coast has its well-known climate; we have an unpredictable one.
Nonsense, Gold Coast's climate is just unpredictable as Adelaide.
we have the Royal Adelside Show that seems to have more ride incidents every year
Right.

This city has plenty to offer and on alot of things shits on the Gold Coast like restaurants, cafe culture, elegance, brilliant festivals, more sporting facilities, public transport etc. The only thing I'm jealous about the Gold Coast is that it has good surf beaches.

Moving on it was really good to see that there was no article regarding the GC Bulletin front page news, however there was a small attack in the Adelaide Confidential.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#47 Post by Will » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:16 pm

adam73837 wrote:Having been to the Gold Coast for a holiday recently, I can see why they perceive Adelaide as boring. Gold Coast has their huge apartment towers; we have the Westpac House. Gold Coast has their surfing hot spots; we have Glenelg that is having its strings pulled by retirement home residents. Gold Coast has its theme parks; we have the Royal Adelside Show that seems to have more ride incidents every year. Gold Coast has its well-known climate; we have an unpredictable one.
HOWEVER.
Adelaide has a half-decent PT system; Gold Coast doesn't. Adelaide has the famous Adelaide Oval that is soon to receive another upgrade; Gold Coast has Carrara Oval that would need to be upgraded quite a bit to host the Commonwealth Games. Adelaide has... That's all I can really think of other than the fact that Adelaide is a nice place to live. There are quite a few other reasons, but I don't know if they'll really add up. Can someone tell me?
How old are you?

ProgMetal
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#48 Post by ProgMetal » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:16 am

When Adelaide gets really unfair publicity in the east, everyone here gets defensive and rattles off a list of good things you say that Adelaide has going for it.....my earlier point is that everyone else perceives Adelaide as being dull and boring. Does it matter you say? Well it does actually 'cos it affects tourism and investment big time and ensures that we remain a backwater.

In terms of addressing these perceptions we have gotta lift our game.

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#49 Post by rogue » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:48 pm

In the end, I dont care what other states think. I love living here!

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#50 Post by Norman » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:24 pm

SA has great surfing spots down near Victor Harbor.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#51 Post by rev » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:34 pm

I was reading the article in the Gold Coast bulletin(or whatever their paper is called) on the news.com.au site.
If you think Adelaide has an inferiority complex over other cities, the Gold Coast beats Adelaide hands down in this regard. So maybe they should get the games? If anything to stop them moaning how great they are, and the eventual crying if they lose to Adelaide. :lol:
But seriously, they talked about the online poll from AdelaideNow..rather then quote the poll options in their entirity, they wen with "Adelaide sucks". I think that alone sums them up quite well.

Some Olympian, ex Adelaidian, had a dig at Adelaide. She lived here in the 1980's. Somehow, living in a city nearly three decades ago, qualifies you to pass judgment on the city in the present day. :roll:

Adelaide weather? Whats wrong with it? Apart from the drought which south eastern Australia has been enduring for so many years now.
What's so great about the weather on the Gold Coast? The tropical cyclones which rip through the coastal regions?

MHS should drop this issue, the decision for which Australian city will bid for 2018 will be made end of 2009. It will be too late by the 2010 election regardless of who wins.
If we are going to bid it needs to be decided now.
I have my doubts Adelaide will be able to host any such event in a decades time, depending on how the current financial crisis in the world affects us as a state and country.
Thing's have been looking up, but then this comes along.

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#52 Post by Aidan » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:28 am

AtD wrote:And WTF is Southwark?
a) A London borough across the Thames from the City

b) A brand of beer made by the South Australian Brewing Company (now a Lion Nathan subsidiary) in Thebarton.

The range of Southwark beers has changed over the years - I'd be surprised if the one they were whinging about drinking in the 1970s hasn't been discontinued.

Aidan

#53 Post by Aidan » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:53 am

rev wrote:What's so great about the weather on the Gold Coast? The tropical cyclones which rip through the coastal regions?
No, those only occur in tropical regions. The Gold Coast, aka the South Brisbane Sprawl, is not tropical.
MHS should drop this issue, the decision for which Australian city will bid for 2018 will be made end of 2009. It will be too late by the 2010 election regardless of who wins.
That's no reason for him to drop it yet. But there are two very good reasons why we should not bid for 2018: the first, as I've already mentioned, is the futility of competing against a strong sentimental favourite. The second is that we want the Games to show how good our city is. Unless our infrastructure is up to scratch, the opposite could happen - it could highlight how bad our city is.

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#54 Post by UrbanSG » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:25 pm

Not a big fan of Foley but I agree with him on this one. The Commonwealth Games are definately B-grade and it's not worth the money. So long as the government sticks to its spending on infrastructure as planned I'll be happy. From adelaidenow:
No bid for B-grade Games
CAMERON ENGLAND, CHIEF BUSINESS REPORTER
August 29, 2008 02:50pm

THE Commonwealth Games is a "B-grade sporting event" which the State Government will not be bidding for, Acting Premier Kevin Foley confirmed today.

State Sport Minister Michael Wright did not rule out an SA bid earlier this week, in response to Opposition Leader Martin Hamilton-Smith's commitment to a bid for the 2018 Commonwealth Games if the Liberals were elected in 2010.

But Mr Foley forcefully ruled out any bid today.

"This Government will not be bidding for the 2018 Commonwealth Games," Mr Foley told an SA Great lunch at the Hyatt.

"The main reason is that we have got a critical need for infrastructure in this state over the next decade or two.

"There is a lot better ways to spend $2 billion than on on a bunch of sporting stadiums that will offer us a B-grade sporting event for 10 days, when Australia can beat itself in the swimming pool.

"I am not going to see this state with the $2 billion of expenditure on sporting stadiums when the most pressing need for our state is economic infrastructure, social infrastructure, to underpin a significant economic boom ... which will put enormous pressure on housing education, hospitals, road and rail infrastructure."

Mr Hamilton-Smith's commitment was ill-fated, with The Advertiser reporting this week that the Australian Commonwealth Games Association would make a decision on its preferred city within a year.

This meant that any bid for the Games would have had to come from the current Rann Government.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#55 Post by rev » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:46 pm

That's no reason for him to drop it yet. But there are two very good reasons why we should not bid for 2018: the first, as I've already mentioned, is the futility of competing against a strong sentimental favourite. The second is that we want the Games to show how good our city is. Unless our infrastructure is up to scratch, the opposite could happen - it could highlight how bad our city is.
Actually that is the best reason for him to drop the issue of a 2018 games in Adelaide. Presuming he gets into office in 2010, it will be too late. There is no reason therefore, for him to pursue the idea of a 2018 Com. Games. The one after that and beyond, sure, but 2018 no, especially as the current government has ruled it out.

Ok it's not tropical, its sub tropical.

And while they argue we wear sandals with socks, at least we aren't complete redneck bogan with no class who go out in shorts and singlets with thongs and spill our alcohol all over the bar and our selves. And apparently, the local women are into men who act and dress that way. So what sort of an image will that send? At least Adelaide's night life has some class, even if the bulk of it is only two nights a week :lol:

Anyway we have more important priorities then commonwealth games. MHS is just looking for headlines. Trying to entice people to support him with grand schemes that haven't been thought out properly and are illogical.

Aidan

#56 Post by Aidan » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:34 pm

rev wrote:
Actually that is the best reason for him to drop the issue of a 2018 games in Adelaide. Presuming he gets into office in 2010, it will be too late. There is no reason therefore, for him to pursue the idea of a 2018 Com. Games. The one after that and beyond, sure, but 2018 no, especially as the current government has ruled it out.
That's what I thought at first, but the Rann government is as pliable as they come!

Though it will be too late in 2010, it's not too late now. If bidding for the 2018 games were good for SA, MHS should pursue it now even if he has Buckley's chance of getting into office in 2010 (many would say he already does). The state opposition are more than an alternative government, and with him in charge that's probably just as well!

But it would not be good for the state, and that's why he should drop it.

adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

#57 Post by adam73837 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:21 pm

Will wrote:
adam73837 wrote:Having been to the Gold Coast for a holiday recently, I can see why they perceive Adelaide as boring. Gold Coast has their huge apartment towers; we have the Westpac House. Gold Coast has their surfing hot spots; we have Glenelg that is having its strings pulled by retirement home residents. Gold Coast has its theme parks; we have the Royal Adelside Show that seems to have more ride incidents every year. Gold Coast has its well-known climate; we have an unpredictable one.
HOWEVER.
Adelaide has a half-decent PT system; Gold Coast doesn't. Adelaide has the famous Adelaide Oval that is soon to receive another upgrade; Gold Coast has Carrara Oval that would need to be upgraded quite a bit to host the Commonwealth Games. Adelaide has... That's all I can really think of other than the fact that Adelaide is a nice place to live. There are quite a few other reasons, but I don't know if they'll really add up. Can someone tell me?
How old are you?
15. Why?
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

Somebody
High Rise Poster!

#58 Post by Somebody » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:39 pm

That post (which Will quoted) shows your immaturity. Not surprising for your age I guess.

Just sounded like "Gold Coast has y and we have z, and also x sucks in the Gold Coast, x rocks in Adelaide" :roll: :wank:

Back on topic - good release from Foley, it's very much B-grade as far as sporting events go. 2 fucking billion for a week and a half of wank? Next.
The Gold Coast - Australia's centre for insipid, tacky & boring.

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#59 Post by Brando » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:07 pm

Sorry, but i had to laugh reading Foley's comments. This comes from the government that is spending our money doing up AAMI Stadium!!

The irony is tragic Mr Foley, because AAMI is a 'B' Grade stadium in a 'F' Grade location, and you have the audacity to say the CG are.
It's no wonder we have a bad perception from all sides of the border.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#60 Post by Cruise » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:02 pm

Brando wrote:Sorry, but i had to laugh reading Foley's comments. This comes from the government that is spending our money doing up AAMI Stadium!!

The irony is tragic Mr Foley, because AAMI is a 'B' Grade stadium in a 'F' Grade location, and you have the audacity to say the CG are.
It's no wonder we have a bad perception from all sides of the border.

Yeah compared to Stadium Australia at Homebush, It's in the middle of no where!!! and it hosted the olypmics!!!