If you could demolish any buildings in Adelaide...

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Matt
Legendary Member!

Re: If you could demolish any buildings in Adelaide...

#16 Post by Matt » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:43 pm

THE HILTON.
Hideous.

If I was an international tourist hopping into a cab... "the Hilton, thanks"... and pulled up outside THAT, I think I'd actually vomit, then ask to be taken back to the airport.

Knock it down and re-build it!

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#17 Post by Shuz » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:52 pm

I actually like the Hilton.

*Awaits barrage of comments*

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#18 Post by Will » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:07 pm

Omicron wrote:
Will wrote:The Ligertwood Building.
I agree.

I have to admit, deep down, I have a degree of affection for Napier. i know the majestic Exhibition Building had to be razed for its construction and long may we rue that decision; I know that much of the interior is a horrid mish-mash of concrete stairwells, tiny little hallways and doors, and neglected courtyards, but from some angles it displays very strong elements of International-style architecture, of which I am quite fond. I can't quite put my finger on it - perhaps it's the uniqueness of the building in Adelaide, or just my unexplainable like of all things '60s, but I don't hate Napier (sometimes a wretched dislike, as bits fall off, leaves collect, and the wind howls through every nook and cranny, but not an all-encompassing hate).

]
Actually, the Exhibition Building was not demolished to make way for the Napier Building. The Napier Building was constructed between 1958-59, a full 3 years before the Exhibition Building was demolished in 1962. These buildings actually co-existed for 3 years. The Exhibition Builing was solely demolished to make way for the university underground carpark!

And regarding the Napier Building, I too like it in a strange way. It's design is by Bates, Smart & McCutcheon of Melbourne. The building's design was a result of a design competition, and its crisp rectilinear lines are considered the height of 1950s contemporary design by many experts. The tower housing staff offices rises from a podium level of teaching spaces, with a range of orange tiles visually connecting the two elements. In fact I would not be too surprised if this building was heritga elisted due to it being a superb example of 1950s architecture.

Hippodamus
High Rise Poster!

#19 Post by Hippodamus » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:24 pm

i rather like it too. i just believe something should be done to funk up the building's grade level and make it more inviting and conjucive for university students, while upgrade the plaza to make it into an interactive and social square full of life and colour - connecting the city to the University!

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#20 Post by AtD » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:20 pm

I've always thought a cafe would go well in the Napier upper ground courtyard area.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#21 Post by AG » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:33 pm

AtD wrote:I've always thought a cafe would go well in the Napier upper ground courtyard area.
But the Economics School enjoys the location of its office there. There is already a cafe tucked away around in the gap between Ligertwood and Napier Buildings called Briefs, which also has access to the plaza in front of the Ligertwood.

By the way, does anyone know what is currently happening with the plaza out the front of Ligertwood, it's been fenced off for over a week now?

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#22 Post by cruel_world00 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:41 pm

AG wrote:
AtD wrote:
By the way, does anyone know what is currently happening with the plaza out the front of Ligertwood, it's been fenced off for over a week now?

The are rebuilding the old Exhibition building.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#23 Post by monotonehell » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:56 pm

cruel_world00 wrote:
AG wrote:
AtD wrote:

The are rebuilding the old Exhibition building.
*beats with plastic traffic cones* :lol:
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#24 Post by Omicron » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:33 pm

Will wrote:
Omicron wrote:
Will wrote:The Ligertwood Building.
I agree.

I have to admit, deep down, I have a degree of affection for Napier. i know the majestic Exhibition Building had to be razed for its construction and long may we rue that decision; I know that much of the interior is a horrid mish-mash of concrete stairwells, tiny little hallways and doors, and neglected courtyards, but from some angles it displays very strong elements of International-style architecture, of which I am quite fond. I can't quite put my finger on it - perhaps it's the uniqueness of the building in Adelaide, or just my unexplainable like of all things '60s, but I don't hate Napier (sometimes a wretched dislike, as bits fall off, leaves collect, and the wind howls through every nook and cranny, but not an all-encompassing hate).

]
Actually, the Exhibition Building was not demolished to make way for the Napier Building. The Napier Building was constructed between 1958-59, a full 3 years before the Exhibition Building was demolished in 1962. These buildings actually co-existed for 3 years. The Exhibition Builing was solely demolished to make way for the university underground carpark!

And regarding the Napier Building, I too like it in a strange way. It's design is by Bates, Smart & McCutcheon of Melbourne. The building's design was a result of a design competition, and its crisp rectilinear lines are considered the height of 1950s contemporary design by many experts. The tower housing staff offices rises from a podium level of teaching spaces, with a range of orange tiles visually connecting the two elements. In fact I would not be too surprised if this building was heritga elisted due to it being a superb example of 1950s architecture.
Now that you mention it, I do recall flicking past photos of Napier rising up right next to the Exhibition Building. Curse ye, brain fade!

It's not quite as lovely as ICI House in Melbourne, but if MLC in Victoria Square deserves a heritage listing then at the very least Napier deserves consideration. Both buildings would respond marvellously to a proper rejuvenation that maximises their delightful '50s elements.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#25 Post by Will » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:18 pm

Omi, you are too quick to dismiss the MLC Building. The MLC Building is probabaly one of the most important high-rise buildings in Adelaide due to the amount of technology it introduced. I would not be surprised if it ranked highly at a national level too:

http://www.environment.sa.gov.au/herita ... _house.pdf

Omicron

#26 Post by Omicron » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:34 pm

Will wrote:Omi, you are too quick to dismiss the MLC Building. The MLC Building is probabaly one of the most important high-rise buildings in Adelaide due to the amount of technology it introduced. I would not be surprised if it ranked highly at a national level too:

http://www.environment.sa.gov.au/herita ... _house.pdf
Whoops, that's not what I meant to say at all! I point the finger squarely at my bleary-eyed state. :wink:

MLC is smashing indeed, and very significant to Adelaide's architectural history - Napier isn't quite so ground-breaking, but at the very least it still deserves consideration for heritage listing.

That's better.

thoughtfactory
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#27 Post by thoughtfactory » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:11 am

A recent picture of the MLC building can be seen here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sauer-tho ... 869156314/

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#28 Post by pushbutton » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:28 pm

I must agree with Matt. I was looking at the Adelaide Hilton just the other day, wondering how the company can allow their brand to be represented that way in Adelaide.

slenderman
High Rise Poster!

#29 Post by slenderman » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:25 pm

Wow, looks like a fun thread:
- Maybe an odd one to start, but that repulsive grey three floor TAB thing on Hindley Street between the CML and Paringa Hotel. That building is disgustingly horrible. If only the CML hotel development involved buying that thing, tearing it down and making another "jewel box". This has got to be my most hated building in Adelaide.
- Telstra Exchange
- Stamford Plaza
- Urbanest commie blocks. They're pretty new as well.
- Napier + Ligertwood
- That shockingly ugly carpark behind where Vue will hopefully be built. Adelaide's ugliest carpark. I would spare it if Vue covers it up well enough
- Truscott's carpark
- Hungry Jack's carpark
- That white box on the corner of Currie and KWS. Good place for something taller
- Singapore Airlines grey box on KWS.
- Wouldn't mind tearing down Southern Cross arcade and starting again with that. Put up a tower there as well.
- LC House on Hindley Street. I think I saw an old thread about a heritage facade hiding behind the louvres. If it can't be restored, then tear it down. That goes double for the dark one across the road from it with the Polites sign.

Everything else can stay for now. I wouldn't mind knocking down some 70s highrises, but they do make up quite a bit of our skyline...

Also, the MLC building is great. Much better execution than Napier.

Waewick

#30 Post by Waewick » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:24 pm

22 King William st.
The student apartments across the road from 22 King William street
City kmart store building
The carpark next to rundle place
The monstrosity on the balfours site