OzAsia Festival

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

OzAsia Festival

#1 Post by Wayno » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:05 pm

Took my family to the OzAsia Festival opening night last night - so excellent! A couple of thousand people spread out comfortably on the lawn watching great acts, interesting music, dancing, dragon boats, fireworks, full moon, nice food, etc. It made me again realise how beautiful our waterfront area is - sloping lawns, such a beautiful vista with Adelaide Oval, the Torrens, the Festival Centre, Convention Centre, the Rotunda...

Whilst staring at the stars, I did a mental comparison to my recent trip to Melbourne where a few muso's were playing in Federation Square on Friday night. Well sorry, but federation square with all it's sharp corners, hard paved ground, and "over the top" lights and screens is just no match!

Don't get me wrong, we could still do with some sort of "Federation-Square-esque" arrangement in the Festival Centre courtyard (using all the low hayek sculptures as seats) but let's not forget we already have a world-class gathering point in a style that is "distinctly Adelaide".
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: OzAsia Festival

#2 Post by Howie » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:12 pm

So should've went... i drove past it yesterday evening and it looked packed. Definitely next year.

Queen Anne
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3 Post by Queen Anne » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:59 am

Wayno wrote:Took my family to the OzAsia Festival opening night last night - so excellent! A couple of thousand people spread out comfortably on the lawn watching great acts, interesting music, dancing, dragon boats, fireworks, full moon, nice food, etc. It made me again realise how beautiful our waterfront area is - sloping lawns, such a beautiful vista with Adelaide Oval, the Torrens, the Festival Centre, Convention Centre, the Rotunda...

Whilst staring at the stars, I did a mental comparison to my recent trip to Melbourne where a few muso's were playing in Federation Square on Friday night. Well sorry, but federation square with all it's sharp corners, hard paved ground, and "over the top" lights and screens is just no match!

Don't get me wrong, we could still do with some sort of "Federation-Square-esque" arrangement in the Festival Centre courtyard (using all the low hayek sculptures as seats) but let's not forget we already have a world-class gathering point in a style that is "distinctly Adelaide".
Yep, I agree. The Festival Centre plaza needs a revamp desperately - a reason to exist, if you will - but our waterfront area is so nice and people-friendly. In contrast, Fed Square, imo, is very hard and stern and not especially welcoming.

And the OzAsia Festival opening sounds like it was a great event (in typical Adelaide style :) ) I've never heard of this festival, is it new? Ah, you have made me homesick..

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4 Post by Wayno » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:26 am

Queen Anne wrote: And the OzAsia Festival opening sounds like it was a great event (in typical Adelaide style :) ) I've never heard of this festival, is it new? Ah, you have made me homesick..
Not sure if it's new - definitely a 1st for me, here's the details http://www.adelaidefestivalcentre.com.au/ozasia/

There's another free show on Sept 26 @ 6pm. Asian Puppetry. Everyone should come along http://www.adelaidefestivalcentre.com.a ... tem=182014
Ose Tara Lia - I see nothing Performance
When - 26 September 2008 6pm
Venue - Artspace Plaza
Price - Free
Alongside the Artspace installation and incorporating large-scale projection, shadow puppets, music, dance and song, Heri Dono's performance of Ose Tara Lia will be a uniquely blended experience of contemporary Indonesian mythology and global imagery.
Dono will be joined by Australian Indigenous performers to bring together Indigenous dance and didjeridu with traditional Indonesian Gamelan music, Jumaadi’s grass sculptural forms and wayang puppetry in a contemporary and politically charged performance.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#5 Post by Vee » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:32 am

Adelaide's events calendar hots up during Spring as the OzAsia Festival attracts record crowds.
OzAsia Festival audience tops 230,000 as organisers set sights on expansion.
Organisers of this year's OzAsia Festival are delighted with attendance numbers, which have topped more than 230,000 compared to an average of 60,000 people in previous years.

The contemporary Asian arts festival finishes tonight, after showcasing a program of 41 events across 11 days.
Festival director Joseph Mitchell attributed the boom to a decision to turn the Adelaide Festival Centre into a focal point for the festivities.

"We created an extremely large festival hub with the Night Noodle Market, which has been such a wonderful success," he said.
Public accessibility was given as a key feature.
Larger than expected crowds at the Moon Lantern Festival at Elder Park caught out public transport services this year.
"The public accessibility to this festival ... really underpins the success," Mr Mitchell said.
ABC:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-04/o ... ds/6825536