Hindley Street closed 10pm-6am?

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
duke
High Rise Poster!

Hindley Street closed 10pm-6am?

#1 Post by duke » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:34 pm

Someone just said that they heard on the radio that there is going to be a 4 week trial where Hindley Street is closed between 10pm and 6am.
Has anyone heard anything about this? I haven't been able to find anything.

Edit:
Just heard it on the radio before. Its only going to be on Saturday nights. I wonder if cabs will still be allowed down there.
Still can't find anything about it on any news sites thought.

Düsseldorfer
High Rise Poster!

Re: Hindley Street closed 10pm-6am?

#2 Post by Düsseldorfer » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:41 pm

ok is it meant to be closed to car traffic? if so, that sounds like great news, in fact Hindly street needs to be completly closed to traffic like rundle mall cause those footpaths can get very crowded during peak hour with so many people rushing to the railway station :P

or does it mean that the State govenment or ACC want to close the street completly to put all the pubs, bars, and strip clubs out of business on Saturdays :| :?

some more info would be good??

duke
High Rise Poster!

#3 Post by duke » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:54 pm

Oh sorry. I didn't think of it like that. Only car traffic :)
I assume its to make more room like the mall.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4 Post by Norman » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:15 pm

That's good, also will drive out the try-hard Commonwhores with their "fully sick" exhausts. All in all, great news. Also would make the tram a tad faster.

jlimty
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#5 Post by jlimty » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:30 pm

Düsseldorfer wrote:ok is it meant to be closed to car traffic? if so, that sounds like great news, in fact Hindly street needs to be completly closed to traffic like rundle mall cause those footpaths can get very crowded during peak hour with so many people rushing to the railway station :P

or does it mean that the State govenment or ACC want to close the street completly to put all the pubs, bars, and strip clubs out of business on Saturdays :| :?

some more info would be good??
For a moment there I really thought the OP meant they were closing down all the shops! LOL the thought of closing down traffic didn't even cross my mind :oops:

Done
Gold-Member ;)

#6 Post by Done » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:45 pm

5AA mentioned it this morning, the plan is to close a section of Hindley between X street and y street, although I've forgotten which streets where mentioned.
They said something along the lines of foot traffic being counted as high as 6,000 people.
Sorry that's all I got, wasn't really listening properly.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#7 Post by SRW » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:52 pm

Look and ye shall find:
Trial to shut Hindley St to cars
ABC News Online
Posted 9 hours 47 minutes ago

Parts of Hindley Street in Adelaide will be closed to traffic on Saturday nights, to make the strip safer for pedestrians.

The Adelaide City Council voted last night to block-off the section between Rosina and Morphett Streets from 10:00pm on Saturday until 6:00am on Sunday.

Councillor Richard Hayward says depending on the results of a four-week trial, the closure could become a permanent arrangement.

He says the move was prompted by a call from police.

"They did a count a while ago on Saturday night, Sunday morning and there was approximately 6,000 people on the footpath at this time, so what it really is to alleviate the congestion so people can actually have more room to sprawl on the street," he said.
It sounds like a good idea to me. If the trial goes well, hopefully it can be extended eastwards to King William Street.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Sonata
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#8 Post by Sonata » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:06 pm

Sounds good, though possibly complex if you need to drive...

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#9 Post by cruel_world00 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:43 pm

Joisus, the OP gave me a heart attack... I thought you meant close down the shops etc.

*shakes head*

But to the proposal, yes it has its merits. But I would worry that closing the road and having drunk people congregate can often cause problems. Sure drunken stumbling on crowded footpaths can't be safe either, but yeh should be interesting is all I'm saying.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#10 Post by jk1237 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:30 pm

Its almost a tradition to drive down Hindley St after 10pm on a Sat night, in 'fully sic' commodores and skylines, with your elbows leaning out. In fact, there is large lineup at the Morphett St corner just to enter this part of Hindley St on late sat night

Maybe we should provide some free-hire bicycles equiped with fluffy dice so we can continue this tradition. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#11 Post by Wayno » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:40 pm

so the proposal is to block off 150m of road starting from Morphett St - does that really make sense? traffic will still be able to flow in via KWS and will be pushed out via the skinny alleyways...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Düsseldorfer
High Rise Poster!

#12 Post by Düsseldorfer » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:58 pm

This should work out great, Hindley St needs to be a pedestrian mall with only delivery vehicles having access, I would love to see it like this from King William St to Morphett St.

:arrow: perhaps an underpass to from Hindley st to Rundle Mall could be a possibility to improve the flow of traffic on King William St.....

This trial will hopefully prove just how much foot traffic uses Hindley St. At the very least the footpath on the northern side needs to be widened between King William and the Station Arcade.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#13 Post by crawf » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:11 pm

I'm not quite sure I support this, closing the small section of Hindley St is going to cause major congestion on the narrow Rosina Street

Plus I really don't understand why they want to close Hindley St between Rosina & Morphett Streets but not the whole strip (all the way to King William Street).

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#14 Post by rev » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:30 pm

crawf wrote:I'm not quite sure I support this, closing the small section of Hindley St is going to cause major congestion on the narrow Rosina Street

Plus I really don't understand why they want to close Hindley St between Rosina & Morphett Streets but not the whole strip (all the way to King William Street).
Most likely because there is a higher concentration of people where they are planning to close it.

Safer for pedestrians? Ya, give the ferals who congregate in Hindley st drunk on sat nights more room to fight in. Who knows maybe they can find a corporate sponsor to supply a boxing ring.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#15 Post by Cruise » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:57 pm

Do the whole street or don't do it at all.

And as for turning Hindley into a permanent mall, Do you all really think Adelaide can sustain such a long mall?