SA number plates to change from Wednesday

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1 Post by rogue » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:48 pm

From AdelaideNow

September 29, 2008 01:00pm

MOTORISTS will start to notice something different on the state's roads from Wednesday.

SA's standard issue number plates are to get a new look as part of an Australia-wide move to eliminate duplication.

From Wednesday, number plates will comprise seven characters beginning with a fixed "S" followed by three numbers and three letters, for example, S123 ABC.

Motorcycle number plates will also adopt the fixed "S" to be followed by two numbers and three letters, for example, S12 ABC.

Registrar of Motor Vehicles Martin Small said the new plates will replace the current alpha numeric varieties that have now reached the end of their sequence.

"We've reached the end of the line with the current model and the change is timely given the potential for duplication to exist between state plates," he said.

"While the new plates serve the national interest, the unique 'S' clearly and concisely identifies the vehicle as being registered in South Australia."

The new plates will not carry a slogan but rather feature the words "South Australia" only in a move designed to most efficiently identify vehicles.

The range of slogan plates presently available for sale will be discontinued, but replacement plates will be available in the various existing formats until current stockpiles are exhausted.

Also, a new range of 'Euro' style number plates designed specifically for European cars will soon be released.

A slimline style, Euro plate will allow connoisseurs of European vehicles to add a distinctly SA flavour to their vehicle while maintaining the original look and feel.

Motorists seeking further information on the new number plates should visit http://www.ezyplates.sa.gov.au or call Service SA on 131084.

Düsseldorfer
High Rise Poster!

Re: SA number plates to change from Wednesday

#2 Post by Düsseldorfer » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:17 pm

ok this sounds like great news, cause atm the regular and current premium are crap, lol what european country uses plates that have go like: CC 0001, BB 1234 or AA 1111 :roll: :roll:

countries like Europe and france give all their cars the same type of plates, there were no personalized plates at all where i lived (like i didn't notice any), it was just a set of numbers or letters to indicate the town you were from (or where the vehicle was registered), in france they use numbers 69 or 693 was someone from Lyon or the Rhone area, in Germany they use letters, "D" was for some one from Dusseldorf, "B" was for Berlin, "HH" Hamburg and "M' for Munich (a fun game to play on the Autobahn is trying to guess what town all the letters are)

so i guess my car here if it were like in Germany would have either "A" for Adelaide, "ML" for Mawson Lakes or "S" for City of Salisbury which would be pretty cool imo, but i don't really mind if it's just "S" for South Australia sounds better than what we have at the moment

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3 Post by Norman » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:37 pm

For the last time, this is not Germany :lol:

Düsseldorfer
High Rise Poster!

#4 Post by Düsseldorfer » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:49 pm

Norman wrote:For the last time, this is not Germany :lol:
baha yeah lol obviously.. :P :lol:

Benski81
High Rise Poster!

#5 Post by Benski81 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:51 pm

Norman wrote:For the last time, this is not Germany :lol:
Yeah but we wish it was. It's ok Düsseldorfer I used to play that, guess which city they're from game too when I was over there. :D

I just got off the phone from the Motor reg and they were saying we should be able to order the european style plates from the 7th of October and it'll cost $150 pa.

I'll be getting some for sure.

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

#6 Post by bm7500 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:25 pm

The new standard plates look shithouse! http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/ezyplate ... issue.html

Any danger of a bit of colour or an interesting design??? :roll:

I suppose its now even more of an incentive to go personalised. Ah well, i'm definately keeping my Grand Prix plates now :wink:
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#7 Post by Will » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:29 pm

bm7500 wrote:The new standard plates look shithouse! http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/ezyplate ... issue.html

Any danger of a bit of colour or an interesting design??? :roll:

I suppose its now even more of an incentive to go personalised. Ah well, i'm definately keeping my Grand Prix plates now :wink:
I agree, they are a timewarp to the 1950s.

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#8 Post by Omicron » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:56 pm

I do agree that the new plates are a little underwhelming. I can understand the reasoning, but I'd much rather the so-called Europlates (which have been available in NSW and Victoria for some time now) became the standard design.

I'm a fan of the original beige RAA-001 alpha-numeric plates issued in the early '70s - I've spotted a few now and then, generally bolted to a fine Series 1 XJ 5.3, and they're quaintly reminiscent of a bygone era.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#9 Post by AtD » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:32 pm

Düsseldorfer wrote:countries like Europe and france
Hehe.

So does that make SA the first state to introduce 7-character standards?

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#10 Post by Omicron » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:25 pm

Just so we're all on the same page....

Old Standard Issue:

New Standard Issue:

New Euro plate:

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#11 Post by crawf » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:26 pm

Are they going to do this nation-wide with this design?. If not the Rann Government need to be shot, the design is bland and in no way promotes the State. I quite liked the 'SA - Festival State' number plates, plus I thought they were going to change the number plates to 'SA - A Brilliant Blend'.

Though good to hear SA will now have euro plates

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#12 Post by Cruise » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:29 pm

Atleast they look better than those god awful things in NSW.

Splashmo
High Rise Poster!

#13 Post by Splashmo » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:27 pm

I'm going to miss the old Rose, Electronics, Defence state plates etc.

Don't much care for the new ones but I'm sure we'll get used to them. I like the Euro plate.

Will409
Legendary Member!

#14 Post by Will409 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:14 pm

The more 'Europlates' on the road, the better in my opinion. Everything else (even the current standard plates) seem pretty shit house in comparison in my opinion.
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#15 Post by omada » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:26 am

What's up with the BankSA logo on the Euro plate? :)