State Election 2010

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.

Who do you intend to vote for at the 2010 election?

Labor
45%
Liberal
36%
Greens
12%
Family First
No votes
Democrats
2%
Nationals
No votes
Independent (Other)
4%

Total votes: 89

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: State Election 2010

#316 Post by Waewick » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:25 pm

Do we have a list of all the promises that LAbor made during the election?

I would love to get it formalised and follow it, especially to be able to go back and see what does and doesn't happen come the next election.

I'm not moving to the eastern seaboard just yet, but lets face it there is less and less reason to actually live in Adelaide unless your a tradie and miner or some sort of service job. So many of our young talented people are leaving because in Adelaide there are enty level jobs and senior management jobs and nothing in between.

I'm not blaming that on Labor it just doesn't seem they are doing anything about it..I must admit i'm not sure the liberals would have either.....

peas_and_corn
Legendary Member!

#317 Post by peas_and_corn » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:27 pm

Aidan wrote:
yousername wrote:
rhino wrote:Because I'm happy. I like where the Labor Party has taken this state. I'm not a huge Mike fan at all, but in my view, we go forward with Labor, we stagnate under the Libs. That's my view. If you disagree, I don't really care. We won.
:lol: :mrgreen:
It was also my view not long ago, but haven't you noticed Labor are getting more like the Liberals? It used to be that when the government made a bad decision, the Liberals stuck to their guns whereas Labor backed down in the face of public opposition. Now Labor are trying to force their bad decisions on us. And the spin continues - on the radio this morning I heard Labor denying the swing away from them had anything to do with their RAH plan. Just what will it take to make them realise how insane it is?

Try looking at it another way:
We go forward fastest with a hung parliament, we stagnate with a strong government, regardless of which party it is.

Eh, from where I stand they have both really become cartel parties.

Briggzy_03
High Rise Poster!

#318 Post by Briggzy_03 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:17 pm

Aidan wrote:It was also my view not long ago, but haven't you noticed Labor are getting more like the Liberals? It used to be that when the government made a bad decision, the Liberals stuck to their guns whereas Labor backed down in the face of public opposition. Now Labor are trying to force their bad decisions on us. And the spin continues - on the radio this morning I heard Labor denying the swing away from them had anything to do with their RAH plan. Just what will it take to make them realise how insane it is?

Try looking at it another way:
We go forward fastest with a hung parliament, we stagnate with a strong government, regardless of which party it is.
Well considering how M. Rann and his crew ONLY JUST won, you'd think that they would be sure to stay on the publics good side since only a small swing to Liberal would be required next time.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#319 Post by Will » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:05 pm

jk1237 wrote:I know I shouldn't have read the posts on Adelaide Now, but aparently half of the state is moving to the eastern states because Labor look like winning. WTF. Ive never seen more pathetic posts by such pathetic people
Dont worry, they are just sad Liberal hacks.

Have they forgot that the eastern states are all under labor rule?

Swordsedge
Banned
Banned

#320 Post by Swordsedge » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:19 pm

An election miracle it seems. Great news just got even better.
Jay Weatherill to challenge Kevin Foley for job of Deputy Premier of South Australia
Greg Kelton, State Editor From: AdelaideNow March 21, 2010 12:41pm

Environment Minister Jay Weatherill will challenge Deputy Premier Kevin Foley for his job.

ENVIRONMENT Minister Jay Weatherill has announced he will challenge Deputy Premier Kevin Foley for his job in the wake of Labor's narrow election victory.

Mr Weatherill, who has been considered a future Premier, said he had notifed both Mr Rann and Mr Foley of his intention.

"It is time for a new approach," he told AdelaideNow.

"We have been given a very clear message from the community and we have to heed that message.

"Part of that is the way in which we have been governing and that is something I think I can help the Government with.

"That is why I am seeking the deputy's role to support Mike Rann."

It is understood Mr Weatherill telephoned both Mr Rann and Mr Foley about his move.

The Labor Caucus will not meet for several weeks to appoint a new front bench and reappoint Premier Mike Rann because all MPs have a vote, and several seats in the Lower House and the numbers in the Upper House will not be finalised for several weeks.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#321 Post by Will » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:20 pm

I am happy that the Rann government was returned. Even if you are not a Labor-leaing person, I still reckon that in all honesty you have to admit, that the Rann government has done are reasonably good job.

Sure, they have made mistakes, but no government is perfect, and considering the talent (or lack of it) on the opposition benches, I doubt they would have done any better.

In a way, it is a good result for the people of this state, that there was a swing against the government. I always believe that such measures tend to improve a government, as they now have to work harder to regain the public's trust.

Although having just said that a swing towards the libs is a good thing for good governance here in SA, I am dissapointed for the reason for the swing. I am sure part of the swing was based on the reforms to Workcover, the St. Clair land swap, Glenside hospital and the RAH debate, however, it is hard to argue against the Chantellois soap opera being the main reason for the swing.I find this dissapointing, as I would have preffered the public to focus on the issues instead of this diversion.

In light of this, the Rann brand has in my opinion being damaged beyond repair. I have a feeling, that he will now retire to the back bench, around mid 2012, paving the way for a John Hill or Jay Weatherill takeover.

I was going to say, that the party should focus on renewal, and hence am relieved that Michael Atkinson is now going to retire to the back bench. I hope the government comes back down to earth, and acknoledges its mistakes, and may the new attorney general change the party's policy on R-rated video games and on an independent ICAC.

Also, with Jane Lomax-Smith, not out of the way, I hope they put someone with a more youthful vision, such as Tom Koutsantonis as the new tourism minister.

And as for the libs, if they want to get elected in 2014, they have to get behind Isobel Redmond. There is also a lot of dead-wood on their benches. For the sake of the party, someone should tap them on the shoulder and force by-elections in such seats next year.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#322 Post by Will » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:23 pm

capitalist wrote:

I'm not moving to the eastern seaboard just yet, but lets face it there is less and less reason to actually live in Adelaide unless your a tradie and miner or some sort of service job. So many of our young talented people are leaving because in Adelaide there are enty level jobs and senior management jobs and nothing in between.

I'm not blaming that on Labor it just doesn't seem they are doing anything about it..I must admit i'm not sure the liberals would have either.....
Well that is the reality of living in a smaller city. Inevitably places such as Adelaide cannot be all things to all people.

We have to focus on what we are good at, and focus our attention at this. And unfortunately for certain people, this does cause a shortage of jobs in the field they pursue forcing them to move somewhere else.

Prince George
Legendary Member!

#323 Post by Prince George » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:31 pm

capitalist wrote:I'm not moving to the eastern seaboard just yet, but lets face it there is less and less reason to actually live in Adelaide unless your a tradie and miner or some sort of service job. So many of our young talented people are leaving because in Adelaide there are enty level jobs and senior management jobs and nothing in between.
How interesting, capitalist, you called me a whiner when I expressed much the same sentiment over on the Liberal's riverfront vision thread.

Prince George
Legendary Member!

#324 Post by Prince George » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:34 pm

Will wrote:
jk1237 wrote:I know I shouldn't have read the posts on Adelaide Now, but aparently half of the state is moving to the eastern states because Labor look like winning. WTF. Ive never seen more pathetic posts by such pathetic people
Dont worry, they are just sad Liberal hacks.

Have they forgot that the eastern states are all under labor rule?
Although I can't see NSW keeping the ALP for another term. Not that I expect those commenters were thinking so far ahead :)

Aidan

#325 Post by Aidan » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:02 pm

Will wrote:I am happy that the Rann government was returned. Even if you are not a Labor-leaing person, I still reckon that in all honesty you have to admit, that the Rann government has done are reasonably good job.
Of course. The problem isn't what they've done already, it's what they're planning to do.
Although having just said that a swing towards the libs is a good thing for good governance here in SA, I am dissapointed for the reason for the swing. I am sure part of the swing was based on the reforms to Workcover, the St. Clair land swap, Glenside hospital and the RAH debate, however, it is hard to argue against the Chantellois soap opera being the main reason for the swing.I find this dissapointing, as I would have preffered the public to focus on the issues instead of this diversion.
On the contrary - it would be difficult to argue for the Chantellois soap opera being the main reason for the swing. In fact I've never heard anyone say they regard it as an important issue, nor to change the way they voted. And it may even have had a positive effect on Labor's vote count - ISTR there were accusations here that on a TV interview (Stateline IIRC) the interviewer didn't want to mention it but Rann insisted because he wanted to use it as a distraction issue.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

dsriggs
Legendary Member!

#326 Post by dsriggs » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:56 pm

Labor gets up, Lomax-Smith & Maywald get voted out, Atkinson goes to the back bench & Foley gets challenged.

EVERYBODY WINS!!

Mants
Legendary Member!

#327 Post by Mants » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:06 pm

vini ciccarello gets booted out...finally....everybody wins!

rhino

#328 Post by rhino » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:35 pm

I think Jay would be a good choice for the next leader of the Labor Party in South Australia, but I think anouncing his intentions this early in the piece was a bit shortsighted on his part - he should have waited until much closer to when caucus is due to sit, before he went public with it, although informing Rann and Foley was probably the right thing to do.

Mike backs Kevin Foley as Jay Weatherill challenges for job of Deputy Premier of South Australia
Greg Kelton, State Editor From: AdelaideNow March 21, 2010 5:35PM

PREMIER Mike Rann will support his deputy Kevin Foley for the role of Deputy Premier as factional warfare erupts in the Labor Party less than 24 hours after the state election.
Environment Minister Jay Weatherill, one of the party's brightest prospects, has signalled his intentions of challenging Mr Foley when Caucus meets probably next week.
Mr Rann, who continues to refuse to claim victory in Saturday's election, today said he was looking forward to a process of rejuvenation in the party.
He described Mr Weatherill's announcement as "somewhat premature" given the fact Labor had not been guarantee re-election.
"Both Kevin and Jay Weatherill have made an outstanding contribution to the party," Mr Rann said.
"I will be supporting Kevin Foley."
Mr Weatherill, who has been considered a future Premier, said he had notifed both Mr Rann and Mr Foley of his intention.
"It is time for a new approach," he told AdelaideNow.
"We have been given a very clear message from the community and we have to heed that message.
"Part of that is the way in which we have been governing and that is something I think I can help the Government with.
"That is why I am seeking the deputy's role to support Mike Rann."
It is understood Mr Weatherill telephoned both Mr Rann and Mr Foley about his move.
The Labor Caucus will not meet for several weeks to appoint a new frontbench and reappoint Premier Mike Rann. All MPs have a vote, and several seats in the Lower House and the numbers in the Upper House will not be finalised for several weeks
cheers,
Rhino

Waewick

#329 Post by Waewick » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:41 pm

Prince George wrote:
capitalist wrote:I'm not moving to the eastern seaboard just yet, but lets face it there is less and less reason to actually live in Adelaide unless your a tradie and miner or some sort of service job. So many of our young talented people are leaving because in Adelaide there are enty level jobs and senior management jobs and nothing in between.
How interesting, capitalist, you called me a whiner when I expressed much the same sentiment over on the Liberal's riverfront vision thread.

at which point did i say I wasn't a hypocrite :D
:oops:

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#330 Post by Will » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:16 am

Aidan wrote:
Will wrote:I am happy that the Rann government was returned. Even if you are not a Labor-leaing person, I still reckon that in all honesty you have to admit, that the Rann government has done are reasonably good job.
Of course. The problem isn't what they've done already, it's what they're planning to do.
On the contrary - it would be difficult to argue for the Chantellois soap opera being the main reason for the swing. In fact I've never heard anyone say they regard it as an important issue, nor to change the way they voted. And it may even have had a positive effect on Labor's vote count - ISTR there were accusations here that on a TV interview (Stateline IIRC) the interviewer didn't want to mention it but Rann insisted because he wanted to use it as a distraction issue.
So you think it is pure coincidence that the polls started to plummet for Labor at the same time the Chantellois scandal was made public?

The Chantellois scandal made a massive difference, particualrly for female voters who felt that Mike Rann had taken advantage of one of their 'sisters'.