No Ferrari in F1, no Albert Park

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Edgar
Legendary Member!

No Ferrari in F1, no Albert Park

#1 Post by Edgar » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:12 pm

THE ONGOING UNCERTAINTY surrounding Formula One has prompted Australian Grand Prix boss Ron Walker to call the future of the Albert Park event into question.

With talks between the Formula One Teams’ Association and FOTA at a stalemate, Walker has told Fairfax that the Australian Grand Prix Corporation would not be interested in hosting an event without Ferrari.

Walker cited decreased public interest and reduced television exposure that would result from Ferrari’s potential absence - and the impact it would have on the Victorian Government’s investment in hosting the race - as key reasons to reconsider Melbourne’s staging of the event
“If the disunity continues, Melbourne will seriously consider its position on continuing with Formula One,” he said. “Without Ferrari racing in Melbourne (it) will lose much of its glamour and therefore the Government investment will come into question.”
A renowned friend of Formula One commercial boss Bernie Ecclestone, Walker has recently spent time in Europe with the diminutive Briton to discuss the future of Formula One, and its impact on the Australian event.

And with a solution to the dispute not in sight, Walker believes FIA President Max Mosley should step down from his post, claiming the sport needs a new leader.
He said: “In my view Mr Mosley should walk away from the sport with dignity rather than slowly strangle to death the great brand of Formula One.

“The sport needs fresh and dynamic leadership more than ever before to lead F1 into a new era of motor racing.

“Bernie Ecclestone is absolutely trying to be a peacemaker, but if the most successful automotive companies in the world will not agree to the rules laid down by the FIA then that will be the end of it.
FOTA was walked out of talks regarding the new regulations in Germany after the FIA revealed the teams could only play an observational role in negotiations as they are not considered official entrants for the 2010 championship

According to FOTA, this contradicted an earlier agreement made during a meeting of the World Motor Sport Council when the teams, Mosley and Ecclestone signed a peace accord, ending the threat of a breakaway championship.

However, in light of the FIA’s decision, FOTA has confirmed plans are still underway to launch a rebel series next season.
BMW Motorsport boss Mario Theissen told the BBC: “”We have to keep our options open. We are working in both directions. It is part of the ongoing negotiations and we can only hope it will be sorted out.

“It’s somewhat confusing to have been accepted as an entrant and then suddenly it looks different again.”
http://www.themotorreport.com.au/36734/ ... %E2%80%99/
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.

Edgar
Legendary Member!

Re: No Ferrari in F1, no Albert Park

#2 Post by Edgar » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:18 pm

I reckon they are using this as an excuse to exit the costly Australian F1 GP, without sounding like they haven't quite been as successful in hosting Australian GP as Adelaide.

Save themselves from the embarrassment.
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3 Post by Brando » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:56 am

Mate, i have long said that Adelaide held the best years of F1...

Mansell, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Keke Rosberg, Lauder just to name a few.

Many have held a grudge against Victoria, maybe me included for awhile, but we really had the better times here. I truely beleive that we did.

End of the season, party relaxed atmosphere or season deciding race that championed the victor....Adelaide was the race drivers and manufactures loved and looked forward too.

Adelaide did it best.. It felt the best here.

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#4 Post by stumpjumper » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:18 pm

Well said, brando.

I agree that we seemed to have picked the best of recent years. I think even the grumpiest bastards around here have great memories of 'our' Grand Prix.

If the F1 Re-Fuelling Competition, as it has become, got rid of Mad Max and the Dwarf it would hurt for a while, and it would be hard on the thousands of people who depend on F1, but what emerges might have a better future.

In the meantime, someone could play follow the money and see what Max and Bernie have been doing with the loot.

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#5 Post by Edgar » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:13 pm

Looks like both Max Mosley and Bernie Ecclestone are pro-supporter of Nazis, and they still have that dictatorship blood running in them.

Reports had that Ecclestone has gone and submitted paperwork to register the trademark for other possible grand prix name that the FOTA-Breakaway series may be using. Names like Formula GP, Formula Grand Prix.

I am pretty sure the FOTA has something on the cards now, I am just waiting early for the annoucement of their decisions in next years race. I would much prefer a break-away series.

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#6 Post by JamesXander » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:22 pm

I dont understand why they didnt break away years ago. They are the reason he is so rich.

People go for the cars, not his organization. If Ferrari, Mclaren, red bull etc were to all race in a new comp, I am sure it would be just as popular. And would probably be more cost efficient, as they would reap the rewards, not some little midget.

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#7 Post by Edgar » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:05 pm

JamesXander wrote:I dont understand why they didnt break away years ago. They are the reason he is so rich.

People go for the cars, not his organization. If Ferrari, Mclaren, red bull etc were to all race in a new comp, I am sure it would be just as popular. And would probably be more cost efficient, as they would reap the rewards, not some little midget.
You got to understand that these major manufacturers have been racing in F1 since it started, Ferrari to be specific. And every manufacturer wants to beat Ferrari.

So Ferrari is the reason why all the other manufacturers are racing in the series for, and Ferrari has a long history with F1 and the organisation, it also plays a major role in F1 itself, especially rights in governing some rules.

And because they have not been giving much rights lately, hence all the dispute and the threats for a break away series. And perhaps Max had gotten a little fed up with Ferrari that he got a little stubborn with his decision to decide on the rule book himself, which of course, caused all this drama.

Regardless, the competition will go wherever Ferrari goes.