Adelaide Motor Show cancelled until next year

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
The Scooter Guy
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Adelaide Motor Show cancelled until next year

#1 Post by The Scooter Guy » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:21 pm

Someone may not have posted this but here's the news:

ADELAIDE MOTOR SHOW DEFERRED UNTIL 2010

In a sign of the growing impact of the global economic downturn, organisers of the Adelaide Motor Show today announce the 2009 show will be deferred until 2010 due to a shortfall in representation from both automotive and motorcycle manufacturers.
Ian Digby, The Executive Director of the Automotive Exhibitors Association of SA Inc, on
behalf of the association’s board of management, said visitors to the Adelaide Motor Show had come to expect one of the best and most diverse shows in the country and there was a concern these high expectations might not be fulfilled next year.
“We regret having to make this decision as we had some new and very exciting attractions planned and we were looking forward to exhibiting for the first time in the new Goyder pavilion where all the vehicle manufacturers could be seen in one state-of-the-art
showcase,” Mr Digby said.
“Our visitor numbers have risen significantly over the recent years and we didn’t want to
disappoint them.
“We have always enjoyed enormous public support, in part due to our unique attractions
such as the Adelaide Motorcycle & Scooter Show and a Hot Rod & Street Machine
Spectacular which make the Adelaide Motor Show one of the best value for money events of its kind,” he said.
Since its inception in 1971 the Adelaide Motor Show, which was due to be held 1 – 5 April 2009, has been staged continuously at the Adelaide Showground, and was previously an integral part of the Royal Adelaide Show. It still maintains an unbroken presence at the Royal Adelaide Show and organisers are determined to retain the close association with the Royal Show in 2009.

Ian Digby, Executive Director,
Adelaide Motor Show
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Adelaide Motor Show cancelled until next year

#2 Post by Brando » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:16 pm

This is bullshit.... Adelaide always gets a second rate show compared to Sydney & Melbourne. So now they agree there is not enough out there to warrant a show here, they cancel it. Howie will confirm this too, the amount of comments i get on the Adelaide car scene compared to the bigger markets of the eastern states, is remarkable. We love our cars and what the future holds for the industry.
When i lived in Melb the car shows were amazing, but the same year, only a month or two later here, the shows were very sublime here in Adelaide. We always get second best or nothing. As this we can see here in 2009, we miss out....

Like i said in the beginning, it's bullshit.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3 Post by Howie » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:28 am

That's alright, if they're not interested in selling cars in Adelaide then we'll just import them... i'm sure all these awesomely priced imports will give the local manufacturers a run for their money. I could go out and spend 30k on a new commodore, or spend 30k on a import EVO VIII... tell you what i'd rather drive.

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4 Post by Brando » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:12 am

Howie wrote:That's alright, if they're not interested in selling cars in Adelaide then we'll just import them... i'm sure all these awesomely priced imports will give the local manufacturers a run for their money. I could go out and spend 30k on a new commodore, or spend 30k on a import EVO VIII... tell you what i'd rather drive.
Hahahaha so true mate. I spent $16k on a MY99 Subaru WRX and still blows most cars away, yet some people say give a 5.7 VE SS Commodore a drag...I say, no worries, let me spend an extra $10k on my motor to an equal amount of an new cost of a VE Comm or XR6 Falcon and see ya later...Even without spending the money i get the launch so easily. I spent $5500 on a MRT gear box, with shorter gear ratio, sure it's not as quick over long distance, but off the lights, it will blow anything away...except a GTR, which is an import obviously. I still have pleny of cash left over to match it with the big v8"s....Improve it as i see needed. My 99 WRX Rally Blue is my dream car, that i finally bought and will be pulled apart and made my project car as soon as i get another day to day car.

Too many underestimate the dollar for dollar value in imports and smaller turbo powered cars... I have had 2x Nissan R32 RB20DET Skylines and 1x SR20DET Silvia imports and they have been the most reliable cars i have had to date....Even better than the Australian delivered WRX's i have had ( I have had 2, one was stolen, never recovered).

For the record, my WRX value in cost and mods would be about $25,000. My mate has a VX 5.7 ltr supercharged Commodore and it just beats me over qtr mile distance..
Yet i have only spent $25k on my car inc mods, but his VX plus mods cost well over $40k. On day to day roads where we can't get the speedo up so high,due to cameras etc, imports and WRX's will blow most V8's away.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#5 Post by rev » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:05 pm

Your WRX MY99 comes with nearly 240hp standard. It weighs less then a a Commodore.
A 99 VT Commodore(VX are from 2000) 6 with a factory supercharged comes with just under 230hp, and obviously weighs more then a pocket rocket like the WRX.
In any case, you are talking about a mid sized sports car and a large family sedan. Apples and oranges.

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#6 Post by Brando » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:14 pm

rev wrote:Your WRX MY99 comes with nearly 240hp standard. It weighs less then a a Commodore.
A 99 VT Commodore(VX are from 2000) 6 with a factory supercharged comes with just under 230hp, and obviously weighs more then a pocket rocket like the WRX.
In any case, you are talking about a mid sized sports car and a large family sedan. Apples and oranges.
Of course mate. I was trying to make a point, dollar for dollar.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#7 Post by Norman » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:50 pm

I had a look at a HSV some time ago, and I have to say that I was more than let down. Just utter crap.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#8 Post by Howie » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:01 pm

rev wrote:Your WRX MY99 comes with nearly 240hp standard. It weighs less then a a Commodore.
you're both right. A toyota aristo is probably closer to a holden commodore. You could probably also get a two year old V36 for the same price as a new Calais or 3-Series beemer too... which would have easily sold for well over 100k if it were sold locally brand new, yet you can grab it for about half the price if you import it yourself.

The Scooter Guy

#9 Post by The Scooter Guy » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:26 pm

From the Adelaide Vehicle Centre, I've got a 2006 Holden Commodore Executive that replaced a 1998 N15 Nissan Pulsar SLX, which sadly got biffed in the rear! :cry:
I've also got a 2002 Mitsubishi Verada GTV that my Dad usually drives to work!
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#10 Post by AtD » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:06 pm

The Scooter Guy wrote:From the Adelaide Vehicle Centre, I've got a 2006 Holden Commodore Executive that replaced a 1998 N15 Nissan Pulsar SLX, which sadly got biffed in the rear! :cry:
Why are you posting all this nonsense all over the place?

The Scooter Guy

#11 Post by The Scooter Guy » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:25 pm

AtD wrote:
The Scooter Guy wrote:From the Adelaide Vehicle Centre, I've got a 2006 Holden Commodore Executive that replaced a 1998 N15 Nissan Pulsar SLX, which sadly got biffed in the rear! :cry:
Why are you posting all this nonsense all over the place?
Sorry, no clue...

Strangled Cat
Gold-Member ;)

#12 Post by Strangled Cat » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:42 am

Brando wrote:
Howie wrote:That's alright, if they're not interested in selling cars in Adelaide then we'll just import them... i'm sure all these awesomely priced imports will give the local manufacturers a run for their money. I could go out and spend 30k on a new commodore, or spend 30k on a import EVO VIII... tell you what i'd rather drive.
Hahahaha so true mate. I spent $16k on a MY99 Subaru WRX and still blows most cars away, yet some people say give a 5.7 VE SS Commodore a drag...I say, no worries, let me spend an extra $10k on my motor to an equal amount of an new cost of a VE Comm or XR6 Falcon and see ya later...Even without spending the money i get the launch so easily. I spent $5500 on a MRT gear box, with shorter gear ratio, sure it's not as quick over long distance, but off the lights, it will blow anything away...except a GTR, which is an import obviously. I still have pleny of cash left over to match it with the big v8"s....Improve it as i see needed. My 99 WRX Rally Blue is my dream car, that i finally bought and will be pulled apart and made my project car as soon as i get another day to day car.

Too many underestimate the dollar for dollar value in imports and smaller turbo powered cars... I have had 2x Nissan R32 RB20DET Skylines and 1x SR20DET Silvia imports and they have been the most reliable cars i have had to date....Even better than the Australian delivered WRX's i have had ( I have had 2, one was stolen, never recovered).

For the record, my WRX value in cost and mods would be about $25,000. My mate has a VX 5.7 ltr supercharged Commodore and it just beats me over qtr mile distance..
Yet i have only spent $25k on my car inc mods, but his VX plus mods cost well over $40k. On day to day roads where we can't get the speedo up so high,due to cameras etc, imports and WRX's will blow most V8's away.
Mate 3 grand on a new FG Falcon will see it push 320rwkw or the limits of the Turbo. That power in a 6 speed auto would see it run comfortable high 11's with factory tyres. Try a new F6 and spend a few more grand and it will be pushing low 11's. Well I know what you're going to say, the initial outlay is too much to be compared as a bfyb contender, but it's just an example. Even compare your rex to a series 1 XR6 Turbo which I too could get for 16k. I rekcon for the same money on mods I'd be running quicker ET's than you, and I wouldn't need to spend 5.5k on a gearbox either (unless it was a manual with the last of the T5's). Ohh, and on the topic of your gearbox, I'm glad you replaced it because the way you sound like you launch it, unless it was upgraded you would be going through them like underpants. Rex's may get off the line hard, but it's got to be at the expense of the driveline. Mid range punch, where it's actually at on the streets, rexes don't compare to the torque of a mighty ford turbo 6 or even a commodore V8.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#13 Post by Howie » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:00 pm

Mate 3 grand on a new FG Falcon will see it push 320rwkw or the limits of the Turbo.
Is that the cobra stage 2 kit? That's like 4k if you do it yourself isn't it? Very nice kit indeed... big fan of the turbo falcons, and not much outlay to get them to decent power. Might be able to keep up with some of the GTR's on the road.

Strangled Cat
Gold-Member ;)

#14 Post by Strangled Cat » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:16 pm

Howie wrote:
Mate 3 grand on a new FG Falcon will see it push 320rwkw or the limits of the Turbo.
Is that the cobra stage 2 kit? That's like 4k if you do it yourself isn't it? Very nice kit indeed... big fan of the turbo falcons, and not much outlay to get them to decent power. Might be able to keep up with some of the GTR's on the road.
No specific kit mate. But the new FG's have a very good flowing factory exhaust system and intercooler which both sufficiently handle the power which the stock turbo is rated to which is around 320rwkw. All you need to do is get an X3 falsh tuner custom tuned, larger injectors, and a hi-flow metal core catalytic converter. Flash box + tune = $1,500. Injectors can be picked up for $300 if they are ex F6 units or if they've been blueprinted (drilled out), or new Bosch units with quad orifices are around $600 supplied. 100cpi ballisitic racing cat 5" body 3" ends will set back about $350. Add labour to the price of injectors and cat installation and at worst, all up you are looking at is $2,700 all fitted that's including the price of the flashbox and tune.

For me, I'd be doing all the work myself, except for the tune because I have no access to a dyno or SCT software. I'd get the cat and injectors at trade, get a mate to weld the cat on, fit the injectors myself, buy the flashbox and load up a generic before driving it to a tuner to get it done also at a discounted rate. The only other thing I'd be doing before the tune is fitting some aftermarket hot and cold side piping. The factory rubber/plastic pipes have proven to perish, especially the hot side piping over time with sustained boost levels. This would be for durability purposes only as there's no gains to be made on aftermarket piping if the stock I/C is retained. Piping is about $800 and takes a couple of hours of fiddling to fit if you know what you're doing.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#15 Post by Howie » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:58 pm

I run the same injectors in my car, good thing about the FG's are they share the same injectors as LS1/LS2/34 GTT. I found some bosch ones 600cc with the nice spray pattern for around $490 which I reckon are an absolute bargain. Could imagine with a high flow that thing would be quite the beast. I'd definately go an FG over something like a LS2 Clubbie. Stop making me drool you :P