Turn off car engine when idling more than 10 secs

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

Turn off car engine when idling more than 10 secs

#1 Post by omada » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:08 pm

Yes it is a myth.. it does not take more energy to start the car than to leave it running - provided it is more than ten seconds.

So this is obviously handy when in peak hour traffic. Ok, ok we all shouldn't be driving in the first place, but since the bulk of our society is devoted to the automobile - then this could be of great benefit.

I reckon a good idea attached to this would be to install countdown timers on all major intersection stoplights so that people know when to stop and start their engines...

So spread the word all!

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Turn off car engine when idling more than 10 secs

#2 Post by Howie » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:21 pm

I'd probably be stuck behind an old Mitsubushi Sigma if everyone shut their motors off during the drive to work :)

Good tip though, i usually switch off at the drive-through.

peas_and_corn
Legendary Member!

#3 Post by peas_and_corn » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:45 pm

omada wrote:Yes it is a myth.. it does not take more energy to start the car than to leave it running - provided it is more than ten seconds.

So this is obviously handy when in peak hour traffic. Ok, ok we all shouldn't be driving in the first place, but since the bulk of our society is devoted to the automobile - then this could be of great benefit.

I reckon a good idea attached to this would be to install countdown timers on all major intersection stoplights so that people know when to stop and start their engines...

So spread the word all!
Please no. I have seen people's behaviour in Jordan with these things installed. Essentially they take off on the dot without paying any attention to whether the traffic has cleared the intersection or not.

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#4 Post by Aidan » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:28 pm

omada wrote:Yes it is a myth.. it does not take more energy to start the car than to leave it running - provided it is more than ten seconds.
It's not a flat figure of ten seconds, it depends on the car, the temperature of the engine, the atmospheric conditions etc. And it's not just the energy it takes that's important - exhaust pollutant emissions when starting up are likely to be far higher than from leaving it running ten seconds.

The figure's likely to be much higher for a carburetted car or a diesel. But even with an engine well suited to it, there's another problem: the starter motor. They're likely to get very hot when used frequently, which could cause damage. Turning off you're engine at the lights is a very bad idea if you can't be sure you'll be able to turn it on again!

But if your car's designed for this sort of thing, it's a good idea. And many vehicle manufacturers have even taken it one step further with hybrid cars that automatically turn the engine off and on when needed.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

The Scooter Guy
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#5 Post by The Scooter Guy » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:46 pm

At some car washes, the instructions advise you that idling after stopping in the right position is prohibited!
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#6 Post by Edgar » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:36 pm

I only stop my car engine when I am stuck in the stupid railway crossing in Torrens Rd Ovingham as freight trains normally takes 3-4minutes to cross (often during peak hours - yes! That is incredibly irritating).

But on a normal traffic jam, no, it would not be efficient. It would only be efficient, if your car's engine are built for this kind of technology. It's called the Start/Stop technology which is featured in Honda Civic Hybrid, and the new Mazda 3, it doesn't really work on normal engines, worse is when you have an engine with more than 4 cylinders as it takes a lot more fuel and air to start those engines + the strain on the starter motor.

So if you want to DIY this method with your own right hand twisting skills, it will probably have more effect on a small car, than a large car with a larger engine.
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#7 Post by rev » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:24 pm

Please do not spread the word. Traffic is bad enough as it is, with everyone turning their engines off and on at every intersection it's just going to make travel times that much longer.

Strangled Cat
Gold-Member ;)

#8 Post by Strangled Cat » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:49 am

Aidan wrote:
It's not a flat figure of ten seconds, it depends on the car, the temperature of the engine, the atmospheric conditions etc. And it's not just the energy it takes that's important - exhaust pollutant emissions when starting up are likely to be far higher than from leaving it running ten seconds.

The figure's likely to be much higher for a carburetted car or a diesel. But even with an engine well suited to it, there's another problem: the starter motor. They're likely to get very hot when used frequently, which could cause damage. Turning off you're engine at the lights is a very bad idea if you can't be sure you'll be able to turn it on again!

But if your car's designed for this sort of thing, it's a good idea. And many vehicle manufacturers have even taken it one step further with hybrid cars that automatically turn the engine off and on when needed.
I agree with most of what you say here. It's certainly not a flat figure of 10 seconds that's for sure, I would have thought it would be much longer than that. One thing to note about egnine emissions and start up, if the vehicle is already at operating temp, it shouldn't cause that much more emissions when starting it. An engine creates most of it's worst emissions when starting up cold, as the catalytic converter needs to be warm in order for the chemical reaction of breaking down the burnt fuel/air mixture inside it to take place. It's a reason why you will find most new EFI cars that need to pass the latest emissions tests all have their cat located very close to the engine, so it warms up quicker.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#9 Post by Wayno » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:40 am

this is a bad practice (unless your car is designed for it). Imagine if 20+ cars had to restart & move quickly if the police or an ambulance needs to get through?!?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Prince George
Legendary Member!

#10 Post by Prince George » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:48 am

Wayno wrote:this is a bad practice (unless your car is designed for it). Imagine if 20+ cars had to restart & move quickly if the police or an ambulance needs to get through?!?
That's why emergency vehicles have sirens - to warn you they are coming :). Also, they have the option of going to the wrong side of the road need be.

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#11 Post by omada » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:35 am

I don't really understand the skepticism to this...I've been doing this for years.. I drive a '96 Honda Civic, no "stop-start" technology, nothing wrong with my starter motor.. yes, the 10 seconds is probably not applicable to each car, i'm not saying do it *every* time you stop only when you know you'll be there for something like 30 seconds... it ain't rocket science people, and you don't need a new car to do it....

Strangled Cat
Gold-Member ;)

#12 Post by Strangled Cat » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:42 pm

omada wrote:I don't really understand the skepticism to this...I've been doing this for years.. I drive a '96 Honda Civic, no "stop-start" technology, nothing wrong with my starter motor.. yes, the 10 seconds is probably not applicable to each car, i'm not saying do it *every* time you stop only when you know you'll be there for something like 30 seconds... it ain't rocket science people, and you don't need a new car to do it....
I guess aside from the arguable, or at the very least negligable benefits of doing this, it's completely impractical. If you want to do it and it's practical for you to do so, that's fine. But I think you will struggle winning people over doing this, even if there are some proven benefits and no other detrimental effects on your vehicle. One thing I can tell you though, your engine will last longer with the least amount of start ups, be it hot or cold...

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#13 Post by Edgar » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:35 am

But how often do you practice this in a day? Once or twice a day? And how much fuel can you save out of this?

To be perfectly honest, drive during off-peak hours and you'll save 20% more fuel than you do during peak hours, and also the way you accelerate from standstill will also have more apparent effects.
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#14 Post by monotonehell » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:41 am

Or catch a bus and save 100% ;)
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#15 Post by Hooligan » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:50 am

monotonehell wrote:Or catch a bus and save 100% ;)
Bus fares are free?

Code: Select all

Signature removed