Some questions about the Myer Centre

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
mattblack
Legendary Member!

Re: Some questions about the Myer Centre

#16 Post by mattblack » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:17 pm

Back to the Myer centre for a sec, are the going to finish the new cladding? all the scaffolding is down at from the podium which is finished and looks a hell of alot better. Its a sandy colour now as apposed to that awful yellow. Cant see any indication at the moment to show there going to finish it off. Hope to god they dont leave it half done.

fkj
Gold-Member ;)

#17 Post by fkj » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:47 pm

mattblack wrote:Back to the Myer centre for a sec, are the going to finish the new cladding? all the scaffolding is down at from the podium which is finished and looks a hell of alot better. Its a sandy colour now as apposed to that awful yellow. Cant see any indication at the moment to show there going to finish it off. Hope to god they dont leave it half done.
i have never actually noticed this,
which podium are you referring to, do you have a pic?

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#18 Post by pushbutton » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:29 pm

monotonehell wrote:
Nathan wrote:
pushbutton wrote:At the end of the day there's not much (fun stuff) to do in Adelaide because when someone spends a lot of money to build something to do, people don't use it enough so it closes down!

As for opening cinemas in the CBD, I doubt anyone would be brave enough to do that now given that in the 90s we had Greater Union, Hoyts, Wallis, and even Imax, and now all 4 complexes have closed.

For some reason I cannot quite figure out, it seems nobody wants to go to the cinema in the city in Adelaide.

Of course there's more than enough cinemas all over the suburbs, but it seems odd that CBD cinemas didn't work because there's plenty of them in other cities and they seem to do very well elsewhere.
Why does everyone forget about Palace Nova? They also appear to be doing very well for themselves.
I know! Why do I seem to be repeating this every month? Palace/Nova is a multi screen cinema complex that incorporates the old IMAX screen. They show main stream movies as well as World movies. The big difference is that they are discerning when it comes to crap mainstream movies and only show "good ones".
I honestly didn't realise they showed mainstream movies. That's good to know.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#19 Post by pushbutton » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:34 pm

Are they going to replace the cladding on the Rundle Mall frontage? It seems odd to leave that out as it is the most visible part of the whole building!

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#20 Post by mattblack » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:42 am

fkj wrote:
mattblack wrote:Back to the Myer centre for a sec, are the going to finish the new cladding? all the scaffolding is down at from the podium which is finished and looks a hell of alot better. Its a sandy colour now as apposed to that awful yellow. Cant see any indication at the moment to show there going to finish it off. Hope to god they dont leave it half done.
i have never actually noticed this,
which podium are you referring to, do you have a pic?

If you look from the Nth Tce side you can see the new cladding. Nothing has been done to the Rundle mall side as yet.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#21 Post by pushbutton » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:53 pm

Going back to the question that was asked about remnants of Dazzleland, there's also still the fountain outside Myer on level 4. This used to have trumpets in it that played themselves all day. I still remember the tune and I would imagine it was intensely annoying for anyone who worked near it! It did add atmosphere to Dazzleland for customers though.

The water has all been drained from the fountain and the trumpets removed, but the actual structure is still there and more or less looks like it did when Dazzleland was open.

The Scooter Guy
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#22 Post by The Scooter Guy » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:22 pm

pushbutton wrote:Going back to the question that was asked about remnants of Dazzleland, there's also still the fountain outside Myer on level 4. This used to have trumpets in it that played themselves all day. I still remember the tune and I would imagine it was intensely annoying for anyone who worked near it! It did add atmosphere to Dazzleland for customers though.
The water has all been drained from the fountain and the trumpets removed, but the actual structure is still there and more or less looks like it did when Dazzleland was open.
Has anyone taken photos of the fountain and some other areas lately?
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

#23 Post by bm7500 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:04 pm

The Scooter Guy wrote:
pushbutton wrote:Going back to the question that was asked about remnants of Dazzleland, there's also still the fountain outside Myer on level 4. This used to have trumpets in it that played themselves all day. I still remember the tune and I would imagine it was intensely annoying for anyone who worked near it! It did add atmosphere to Dazzleland for customers though.
Has anyone taken photos of the fountain and some other areas lately?
Here you go...

These were taken just outside the Myer Level 4 'Entrance', not much to see now really :(
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

The Scooter Guy

#24 Post by The Scooter Guy » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:21 pm

Thanks! Were the glass walls originally part of the top floors?
What about the Myer 'Level 5' entrance? These 2 top floors only have a very few people around...
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

Nathan

#25 Post by Nathan » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:20 pm

The Scooter Guy wrote:Thanks! Were the glass walls originally part of the top floors?
What about the Myer 'Level 5' entrance? These 2 top floors only have a very few people around...
No, the glass panels weren't there originally. They were installed, along with the sail cloths at the Promenade level, after some "incidents".

The Scooter Guy

#26 Post by The Scooter Guy » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:24 pm

Nathan wrote:
The Scooter Guy wrote:Thanks! Were the glass walls originally part of the top floors?
No, the glass panels weren't there originally. They were installed, along with the sail cloths at the Promenade level, after some "incidents".
Thanks for letting me know!

russo92
Gold-Member ;)

#27 Post by russo92 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:21 am

If anyone interested in a bit of a trip down memory lane, go to the 4th floor there is a really cool photo montage of events the center has celebrated over its 20 year (20 this year) history, such as cutting the ribbon, different fashion shows, pictures of dazzeland in its former glory and even original concept drawing of the centre and dazzeland. So sad seeing the potential it had, and now to see all these boarded up empty shop fronts, wasted space. Someone with money needs to open a timezone or intencity or whatever at the top there, in todays society with that many kids winging 'theres nothing to do' and plenty of cash to spend, it will do well and be a massive coupe for the centre

just realised this was on official display in June to celebrate the 20 years. Also i have a question, what is in the tall tower part of the building, the section closer to north terrace, thats at least 6 or 7 floors on top of the height of the heritage facade buildings. And has anyone ever been or know anyone thats been in the clock tower?

Waewick

#28 Post by Waewick » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:14 am

those arcade machine places all went broke in the in the early 2000's didn't they?

also aside from the increased rental - what would the centre gain from such a place ? apart from a a heap of kids who aren't going to shop?

Xaragmata

#29 Post by Xaragmata » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:07 pm

russo92 wrote:just realised this was on official display in June to celebrate the 20 years. Also i have a question, what is in the tall tower part of the building, the section closer to north terrace, thats at least 6 or 7 floors on top of the height of the heritage facade buildings. And has anyone ever been or know anyone thats been in the clock tower?
The upper levels are offices - government departments on some levels, but they shift back & forth between there & Riverside Centre a bit.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#30 Post by Will » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:15 pm

Found these photos of the old Myer building being demolished in 1988: