Adelaide City Council Releases Details of secret Heritage...

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
iTouch
Legendary Member!

Adelaide City Council Releases Details of secret Heritage...

#1 Post by iTouch » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:28 pm

Adelaide City Council releases details of secret heritage properties

ADDRESSES of 84 city properties on a secret heritage list have been released this morning after being hidden from the public for the past year

Adelaide City Council has held a series of confidential meetings since early 2009 to compile a list of properties for addition to the heritage register.

The addresses released today include the TPI building on South Tce which is currently on the market.

The addresses of a further 347 properties slated for listing by the council in the remainder of the CBD remain secret.

The council signed off on the list late last year and sent it to the State Government for consideration.

Planning and Urban Development Minister Paul Holloway responded in December, warning granting heritage status for all properties on the "wish list" would constrain development and threaten Adelaide's "resurgence".

Property Council of Australia SA executive director Nathan Paine said plans to list the 84 revealed today were "sensible".

"The Property Council believes strongly in protecting Adelaide's soul, its mojo and a lot of that comes from the character of our historic buildings." he said.

"We have always argued that heritage can be retained without preserving the city in aspic.

"This approach recognises the need to allow the city to grow and adapt while also retaining its character and the community's connection with the state's history."

Mr Paine said the CBD already had about 800 properties on the heritage register, meaning around 50 per cent of development was constrained.

"The only negative is that once again we see several buildings placed under interim listing while being subject to a sales process. In particular, we note that the TPI Building on South Terrace is again under the microscope after the Council's previous attempts to spot zone this property," Mr Paine said.

"We clearly need to have a better process in place to protect vendors and purchasers of buildings that may be subject to interim listings. The current system does nothing to provide certainty for those seeking to invest in South Australia's future."

Mr Paine said the Property Council would continue to work with the Government and council to find "balance" and was seeking to have listed properties exempted from land tax.

Acting Lord Mayor Michael Henningsen said retaining Adelaide's "unique architectural heritage" was key to attracting tourism.

"In proposing that these additional buildings are added to the local heritage list, we are looking to preserve Adelaide's history for future generations," he said.

"Adelaide City Council is confident that this proposed listing does not compromise our City's development potential - it's about finding a balance that both enables growth and preserves Adelaide's valuable architectural legacy.

"The final goal is to achieve a balance that both protects buildings of heritage interest and enables vibrant development in the City centre."

Owners of proposed heritage places have been alerted by the council and given the chance to argue for exemption.

A final decision on heritage listing will be made by the council and State Government later this year.

The council says it plans to release the addresses of the remaining properties proposed for heritage listing later this year.

The list of heritage properties released today
Some of those Adelaide now commentors need to be punched in the face a couple of times :wallbash: Eg. someone stating that should "move the cbd to Elizabeth or Noarlunga that way traffic would flow better" :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:
Don't burn the Adelaide Parkland (preservation society)

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Adelaide City Council Releases Details of secret Heritage...

#2 Post by crawf » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:49 pm

The addresses released today include the TPI building on South Tce which is currently on the market.
If thats the building on the corner of South Terrace and Hutt Street than its nothing special.

yousername
High Rise Poster!

#3 Post by yousername » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:43 pm

crawf wrote: If thats the building on the corner of South Terrace and Hutt Street than its nothing special.
I second that, sure its okay, but in no way does it deserve to be listed.
Will wrote:Victorians can get f#$%^&*!

Alyx
High Rise Poster!

#4 Post by Alyx » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:48 pm

crawf wrote:
If thats the building on the corner of South Terrace and Hutt Street than its nothing special.
Street view - South Terrace and Hutt Street.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#5 Post by monotonehell » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:15 am

yousername wrote:
crawf wrote: If thats the building on the corner of South Terrace and Hutt Street than its nothing special.
I second that, sure its okay, but in no way does it deserve to be listed.
Don't show your ignorance guys. ;) It's not the ugly façade that went up in front of the place when the wings were added. It's about the historical two story mansion that is hidden within. It's still in there, along with many of its original features.

If I had a lazy 3.6 million, plus what it would take to restore the exterior, I'd love to put that place to some good use. A lot of the original interior still exists.
Pictures: http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rs ... height=600

http://www.realestate.com.au/105887862
Some real estate agent wrote wrote:The building of ‘Davaar’ was completed in 1876 for prominent Adelaide wine and spirit merchant Mr William Johnston, the mansion was described as “a handsome residence... consisting of 11 rooms, besides pantries, cellars, larder and bathroom.” Many of the properties original features remain intact to allow for a recreation of this formerly grand residence. Original features include decorative ceilings and cornices, 14ft ceilings on the ground floor and 13ft ceilings on the first floor. lead light bay windows breathe light and life into the two main downstairs living areas with lead light also featuring in various windows, doors and sidelights on the ground floor. An original timber fireplace can be found in the drawing room. Other rooms throughout the residence feature fireplaces with either timber or marble surrounds, whilst the original blackwood timber staircase is a standout features of the large entrance hall...

Once the residence of the Honorable Sir Jenkin Coles, Speaker of the House of Assembly of South Australia from 1890 to 1911.
The only thing I can think of is a boutique hotel, which is pretty uninspiring. Or perhaps some creative architecture could make some really funky apartments that somehow intersect sympathetically with the place.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#6 Post by Omicron » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:01 pm

Nonsense! Turn it into your own majestic private residence, and look down you nose at the pesky simpletons passing by, cluttering up your vistas.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#7 Post by monotonehell » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:56 pm

Omicron wrote:Nonsense! Turn it into your own majestic private residence, and look down you nose at the pesky simpletons passing by, cluttering up your vistas.
I had thought of that (hey this is me) -- but the room configuration does not suit my tastes.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#8 Post by Vee » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:39 pm

crawf wrote:
I disagree.
I hope this graceful mansion is restored to its former glory (remove the ugly, tacky addition defacing a magnificent building) and it becomes a valued part of our heritage.

The location is magnificent. Some creative ideas needed and some $$$$.

Nickodj
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: Adelaide City Council Releases Details of secret Heritag

#9 Post by Nickodj » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:33 am

My Grandfather's family built "Davaar". I have a photograph of him, in a pram beside the family car, an old Delahaye (1920?), in front of the house. It was surrounded a beautiful wrought iron fence. The home was certainly majestic. I was told that they brought stone masons from Scotland to build it.
I agree, the façade today has been butchered and it would be nice to see it restored to its former glory.
Now, if I can dig up that photo, I would be happy to share it....

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#10 Post by monotonehell » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:59 am

Nickodj wrote:My Grandfather's family built "Davaar". I have a photograph of him, in a pram beside the family car, an old Delahaye (1920?), in front of the house. It was surrounded a beautiful wrought iron fence. The home was certainly majestic. I was told that they brought stone masons from Scotland to build it.
I agree, the façade today has been butchered and it would be nice to see it restored to its former glory.
Welcome to the forums. Please do share that photo, good luck finding it.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#11 Post by Vee » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:32 am

Nickodj wrote:My Grandfather's family built "Davaar". I have a photograph of him, in a pram beside the family car, an old Delahaye (1920?), in front of the house. It was surrounded a beautiful wrought iron fence. The home was certainly majestic. I was told that they brought stone masons from Scotland to build it.
Love to see that photo, Nickodj.
It was an original photo that piqued my interest in this building and its fate in the modern era.
This house deserves to be retained and restored. That ugly TPI desecration to this magnificent house is a travesty. The Heritage listing is well founded.