Parking Collection Services...?

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

Parking Collection Services...?

#1 Post by rev » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:47 pm

Anyone get one of those parking fines from that Parking Collection Services?
Council want nothing to do with it, all they'll say is that it's got nothing to do with them.

I know people who haven't paid these ridiculous fines.
They've sent me a late payment notice thing. The people I know who also didn't pay, did not receive one of these bullshit letters.

Anyone else get one, and how did you handle it?
Council said to call Consumer Affairs, or seek legal advise..

I think these are the guys who were on Today Tonight or Current Affair.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Parking Collection Services...?

#2 Post by AtD » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:49 pm

These sort of things have been around for ages and whether or not they actually have any legal standing is debatable for the majority of cases. Some resort to intimidation to scare people into paying fines they don't need to so be careful. The ACC complained to Fairtrade a while back saying these things are misleading as they try to look like council fines when they're actually debt collectors.

http://www.aussielegal.com.au/forum/for ... B~DESC.htm looks like a good resource for you.

Did they send you a letter or was it just on your windscreen? I would be interested to hear how it goes for you.

My question is why isn't the ACC issuing these fines? Councils are allowed to issue fines in private car parks. Edit: Probably because the private parking company wants your money rather than the council getting it.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3 Post by AtD » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:56 pm

http://www.consumeraction.org.au/downlo ... tsheet.pdf

In Victoria at least: These are NOT fines, they're penalties for breach of contract issued by debt collectors.

The worst they can do is:
- Request a summons for your details from Vic Roads
- Pursue the 'penalty' in Magistrates court.

They cannot adversely effect your credit rating in Victoria until they have a court ruling.

rev

#4 Post by rev » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:23 pm

Upon looking at the paper in the plastic from the windscreen it's not a parking fine or expiation notice.

I received a letter in the mail from some debt collection company, telling me I have to pay the fine and late fee by a specific date.

They are even asking that if I was not the driver, to complete a stat dec. form and send it in.

I don't get it, it's not a fine, it's not an expiation notice..so what the hell is it?

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#5 Post by AtD » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:34 pm

^^ Breach of contract maybe?

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by monotonehell » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:01 pm

rev wrote:I don't get it, it's not a fine, it's not an expiation notice..so what the hell is it?
It's a civil claim made under common law. Basically they are claiming that you parked at one of their premises, breached the terms and conditions of entry, and are attempting to claim damages against loss of income from you. That loss of income not only includes the parking fees that are claiming you didn't pay the pay-and-display machine (or those you failed to display in your windscreen) but any costs they consider pursuant to lodging the claim (the old "administration costs" chestnut).

There's no authority involved, it's just you V those guys, at a court of law (we have small claims courts in SA, yeah?) if they decide to take it that far.

(Probably if you send them a photocopy of the ticket, if you still have it, they will go away)
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

rev

#7 Post by rev » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:01 pm

Apparently if it isn't paid, it will hurt credit rating and ability to get loans.
So, looks like I'll be paying it.

I guess it's kind of like not paying your bills. You agree to a service and to pay, in this case by using that service(parking).
So I'm under obligation to pay.
Ah well.

hateadelaide
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#8 Post by hateadelaide » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:05 pm

if you dont pay a ticket it becomes $400 from $40 because we live in a country with a greedy government, i am seriously thinking of forfeiting my licence in Australia because of their ungodly greediness. I dont live there anymore, phew!!, but i still have a liccense and every once in a while i go back there and park 1 min over my allowed time, so it may just be cheaper to get rid of the license. $400 is a lot of taxi rides.....and if you leave it longer it goes upto $1000, who in their right mind would actually think they deserve to pay this!!!!!!!!!!! I think its a sad state in the government there bankrupting families and people on fixed incomes, its just crazy....
I got a ticket in 2004 in the USA for speeding, for $80 and its still the same amount, i havent been back but once but I feel good about them that they are not thieving cunts!! It makes me love that country just a little bit more....Im just going to stop paying to be raped in australia, goodbye license, and thanks for all the fines.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#9 Post by Will » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:17 pm

hateadelaide wrote:if you dont pay a ticket it becomes $400 from $40 because we live in a country with a greedy government, i am seriously thinking of forfeiting my licence in Australia because of their ungodly greediness. I dont live there anymore, phew!!, but i still have a liccense and every once in a while i go back there and park 1 min over my allowed time, so it may just be cheaper to get rid of the license. $400 is a lot of taxi rides.....and if you leave it longer it goes upto $1000, who in their right mind would actually think they deserve to pay this!!!!!!!!!!! I think its a sad state in the government there bankrupting families and people on fixed incomes, its just crazy....
I got a ticket in 2004 in the USA for speeding, for $80 and its still the same amount, i havent been back but once but I feel good about them that they are not thieving cunts!! It makes me love that country just a little bit more....Im just going to stop paying to be raped in australia, goodbye license, and thanks for all the fines.
It is your fault that you got a parking ticket in the first place. If a parking spot says it is for 1 hour, why are you so entitled to think that the rules don't apply to you? Likewise, it is your fault that you didn't pay the ticket in time. Stop blaming others for your personal failures and learn to take responsibility for your actions.

rev

#10 Post by rev » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:34 am

hateadelaide wrote:if you dont pay a ticket it becomes $400 from $40 because we live in a country with a greedy government, i am seriously thinking of forfeiting my licence in Australia because of their ungodly greediness. I dont live there anymore, phew!!, but i still have a liccense and every once in a while i go back there and park 1 min over my allowed time, so it may just be cheaper to get rid of the license. $400 is a lot of taxi rides.....and if you leave it longer it goes upto $1000, who in their right mind would actually think they deserve to pay this!!!!!!!!!!! I think its a sad state in the government there bankrupting families and people on fixed incomes, its just crazy....

Hey Malcom